Apple Pro Display XDR wins display of the year award

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2020
Apple's Pro Display XDR has earned Display of the Year at the Display Industry Awards, with glowing praise centered on its color accuracy.

Apple's Pro Display XDR awarded Display of the Year from Society for Information Display

The Society for Information Display (SID) announced the winners of its 26th Annual Display Industry Awards. The awards were given out in conjunction with SID's annual Display Week.

Apple has been given a Display of the Year award at this year's Display Industry awards for its Pro Display XDR.

SID judges had plenty of positive things to say about the display. They praised its high color accuracy, stating that the Pro Display XDR is "expertly calibrated at the factory to ensure billions of colors can be reproduced with exceptional accuracy."

They also praised it for its lower price entry point compared to traditional reference monitors.

"[W]ith OLED's rapid growth, the incumbent LCD technology continues to fight for footing by gaining new capabilities-- as demonstrated by BOE's ultra-high definition (UHD) BD Cell and Apple's Pro Display XDR," said Wei Chen, chair of the DIA committee. "Both have achieved high-dynamic-range (HDR) display performance in LCD, each with their own unique approach; and Toray's SCO has the potential to enhance future LCD displays' performance."

The Pro Display XDR is Apple's first branded display since the cancellation of Thunderbolt Display in 2016, and launched alongside the new Mac Pro. It measures 32 inches on the diagonal and sports a 6K resolution of 6,016-by-3,384 pixels for a pixel density of 218 PPI.

Alongside Apple, BOE Technology received a Display of the Year award for its 65-Inch UHD BD Cell Display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    I'm a developer, don't do video, but tried one and found my 5-year old Benq 32-inch IPS was easier on the eyes for off-axis viewing.randominternetperson said:
    Huh?  Why is eye strain from off-axis viewing particularly relevant?  Do you often work with your screen turned away from you?
    Unless seated at an infinite distance from a monitor, only the center is being viewed perpendicularly and the sides are viewed off-axis. I sit centered about 2 feet from my 32-inch monitor (and the XDR when I had it). I believe the off-axis difference between the Benq and Apple is due to the smaller dot pitch of the Apple: 4K vs. 6K. Eyes are ~4 inches apart which creates a different impression for each off-axis. Thanks for asking.
    edited May 2020 williamlondonrundhviddysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cpsro said:
    I'm a developer, don't do video, but tried one and found my 5-year old Benq 32-inch IPS was easier on the eyes for off-axis viewing.
    Huh?  Why is eye strain from off-axis viewing particularly relevant?  Do you often work with your screen turned away from you?
    williamlondonmike1tmay
  • Reply 3 of 8
    CloudTalkinCloudTalkin Posts: 916member
    The SID hands out 3 Display of the Year awards annually.  This year's recipients were Apple for the XDR, BOE for their BD Cell Display, and Samsung for their foldable display.  The article sort of conspicuously omitted one of the winners.
    williamlondonlkruppdysamoriactt_zh
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I give points to AI for continuing to showcase this display sitting on a disk directly, since it doesn’t come with a stand...
    williamlondoncaladaniankimberlyentropys
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    cpsro said:
    I'm a developer, don't do video, but tried one and found my 5-year old Benq 32-inch IPS was easier on the eyes for off-axis viewing.
    I'm a huge Apple fan, but blind fandom is just as irritating.  Look at all the reviews of this monitor.  Sure, looks great when staring straight at it, but the monitor being so big, one is going to be seeing the edges at an angle and it's fair to say the monitor gets a bit washed out when viewed from an angle.  This is a genuine problem.  When I saw it in person, I loved the monitor but that off-angle issue needs to be resolved.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 8
    XedXed Posts: 2,570member
    sflocal said:
    cpsro said:
    I'm a huge Apple fan, but blind fandom is just as irritating.  Look at all the reviews of this monitor.  Sure, looks great when staring straight at it, but the monitor being so big, one is going to be seeing the edges at an angle and it's fair to say the monitor gets a bit washed out when viewed from an angle.  This is a genuine problem.  When I saw it in person, I loved the monitor but that off-angle issue needs to be resolved.
    His comment doesn't read as "blind fandom." I don't think he considered that the size of the monitor can lead to off-axis viewing even when looking straight on. I certainly didn't until I read your post.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Xed said:
    sflocal said:
    His comment doesn't read as "blind fandom." I don't think he considered that the size of the monitor can lead to off-axis viewing even when looking straight on. I certainly didn't until I read your post.
    I know his post history as he's been here a while.  I was rather surprised he made that remark as it's a known problem.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 8
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Saw one in person at the Apple Store in Feb. It looks very nice. I'm not spending $6K on one though.

What I'm a little surprised at is it gets panned pretty hard by professional colorists, primarily for its light blooming. That's disappointing, considering how hard they pushed it as a replacement for $40K reference monitors, which is specious given the reviews by that user segment.

Still hoping that when they inevitably refresh the iMac design, that they use whatever panel from the larger model to make a matching lower spec display to sell alongside the iMac, MBP, mini, etc. Note I'm not saying LOW spec display — I just want something closer to the price class of my 30" ACDs which were not cheap ($~1600 I think when I bought the second one right around when they were discontinued). 
    watto_cobra