HBO Max launches on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The new HBO Max is available now, and curates over 10,000 hours of content for all ages, drawing from an extensive, 100-year old library owned by WarnerMedia.

Launch day premieres include all-new Looney Tunes Cartoons, Anna Kendrick in the HBO Max Original "Love Life," Documentary "On the Record," and famous YouTuber LAurDIY's new series Craftopia. Sesame Street's own Elmo has a show -- "The Not Too Late Show with Elmo."

After the initial launch, HBO Max Originals will be released on a regular cadence. Upcoming shows will include "The Flight Attendant," based on the best seller by Chris Bohjalian; the "Friends" unscripted cast reunion, and a three-part documentary series on Amy Schumer titled "Expecting Amy."

HBO Max pulls from WarnerMedia's century-old library of fan favorites, including content from CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes, and more. A selection of classic films are available through a partnership with Turner Classic Movies.

Other existing content includes the entire filmographies of "Friends," "The Big Bang Theory," "Rick and Morty," "Sesame Street," "The O.C.," and "Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown." Content to be added later will include "South Park," "Gossip Girl," "The West Wing," and more.

The service costs $14.99 a month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I’m sure this has been asked before but is this an additional cost to HBO?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    razorpit said:
    Yes.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    If you are already paying for HBO Now you’ll automatically be moved to HBO Max. My iPhone and AppleTV updated to the new Max app.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 4 of 10
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 134member
    How is the streaming quality of the origin HBO content? Same as before, or improved?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    xyzzy01 said:
    How is the streaming quality of the origin HBO content? Same as before, or improved?
    So far, it looks about the same.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    My AT&T wireless plan includes HBO Max. Not as a trial.
    From email:

“START STREAMING MAY 27

All of your favorites, all in one place: HBO Max brings together all of HBO® with even more movies and series, plus new Max Originals.

Get Day 1 access with your AT&T unlimited plan at no additional cost!

Here’s how to access HBO Max:

On May 27, download the HBO Max app and select AT&T® as your provider.

Since you’ve already used your AT&T TV NOW login credentials to access HBO®, simply use that same login to access HBO Max.“

If you have an unlimited plan you get HBO Max.

edited May 2020 sdw2001
  • Reply 7 of 10
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Hulu with live TV And HBO option also includes HBO Max. Not as a trial.

edited May 2020
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    davgreg said:
    My AT&T wireless plan includes HBO Max. Not as a trial.
    From email:

“START STREAMING MAY 27

All of your favorites, all in one place: HBO Max brings together all of HBO® with even more movies and series, plus new Max Originals.

Get Day 1 access with your AT&T unlimited plan at no additional cost!

Here’s how to access HBO Max:

On May 27, download the HBO Max app and select AT&T® as your provider.

Since you’ve already used your AT&T TV NOW login credentials to access HBO®, simply use that same login to access HBO Max.“

If you have an unlimited plan you get HBO Max.

That's awesome...I didn't know.  We have unlimited.  I guess I can just select it as my provider in the app?  
  • Reply 9 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    So this basically is an upgrade (and rebranding) to the service if you're an HBO NOW-only subscriber like myself it seems? I guess that makes more sense now given the all the content living under the same roof post-merger. Maybe when there's only one conglomerate left we get all the content ever made for $15/mo :)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    razorpit said:
    Yes.
    Looks like it depends — some TV providers include it, others are coming I guess.