Google sued in $5 billion class action lawsuit for tracking 'private' internet use

Posted:
in General Discussion
A $ billion class action lawsuit has been filed, that alleges Google has been tracking users' browsing habits despite engaging Chrome's Incognito mode.

Google sued for collecting incognito mode data

The lawsuit is seeking a minimum of five billion dollars, and would likely include "millions" of Google Chrome users. The lawsuit, filed in the federal court in San Jose, California, covers users who have used Incognito mode since June 1, 2016.

According to the complaint, Google gathers data through Google Analytics, Google Ad Manager, and other Applications and plug-ins, including smartphone apps.

The complaint, which was seen by Reuters, claimed that Google is capable of learning about users' friends, hobbies, shopping habits, and the "most intimate and potentially embarrassing things" a user searches for.

The complaint states that Google "cannot continue to engage in the covert and unauthorized data collection from virtually every American with a computer or phone."

The lawsuit is hoping to receive $5,000 in damages per user for violating federal wiretapping and California privacy laws.

A Google spokesperson has pushed back against the lawsuit, claiming that the company discloses such risks.

"[W]e clearly state each time you open a new incognito tab, websites might be able to collect information about your browsing activity."
cornchip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Google Chrome Incognito

This is what you see when you open an Incognito tab. Seems pretty clear. 
    muthuk_vanalingamOferjony0wonkothesane
  • Reply 2 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Google's Knight in Shining Armor comes to its defense right on schedule. I was going to say this article will certainly trigger @Gatorguy but he was already triggered. My bad.
    edited June 2020 cornchipRayz2016StrangeDayswilliamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    To be honest I never thought Google would NOT do this. The idea that anything from Alphabet has privacy anywhere near it is ludicrous. Time and time again Google has been caught mining customer data when they said they wouldn't. Their response has always been either to promise to not do that (any more), or we never said that. I have to use Chrome at work. I don't use it at home. I don't use Google Docs. I don't use other Google Apps. Maps is infrequent and only when other sources don't have what I need.

I assume Google will always mine my data for their dossier on me whenever possible regardless of their "promises".
    aderuttercornchipOferdewmeDogpersonwilliamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Is Apple’s “Private Mode” any different?

Turn Private Browsing on or off on your iPhone or iPod touch

When you use Private Browsing, you can visit websites without creating a search history in Safari.

Private Browsing protects your private information and blocks some websites from tracking your search behavior. Safari won't remember the pages you visit, your search history, or your AutoFill information.

(Emphasis mine, and should be yours)

gatorguyOfer
  • Reply 5 of 23
    lkrupp said:
    Google's Knight in Shining Armor comes to its defense right on schedule. I was going to say this article will certainly trigger @Gatorguy but he was already triggered. My bad.
    I had just finished reading about it on another tech site a few minutes earlier so was already familiar with the lawsuit and it's relative merits. That editor came to the same conclusion I did. 
    muthuk_vanalingamOferjony0
  • Reply 6 of 23
    fred1 said:
    Is Apple’s “Private Mode” any different?

Turn Private Browsing on or off on your iPhone or iPod touch

When you use Private Browsing, you can visit websites without creating a search history in Safari.

Private Browsing protects your private information and blocks some websites from tracking your search behavior. Safari won't remember the pages you visit, your search history, or your AutoFill information.

(Emphasis mine, and should be yours)

I believe they're patterned after each other. Same general privacy restrictions, same switch from light to dark screen to make it obvious when in use, and both pass thru analytics which aren't personally identifiable. With that said anyone is free to sue any person or corporation. Winning is another story. 
    edited June 2020 Oferjony0
  • Reply 7 of 23
    That's there business model. Guilty as charged.
    DogpersonwilliamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Google tracking ‘private’ internet use? I thought the company was only involved in censorship. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Always the first In line to ding our favourite personal data scraper, but this:

The complaint, which was seen by Reuters, claimed that Google is capable of learning about users' friends, hobbies, shopping habits, and the "most intimate and potentially embarrassing things" a user searches for.

Since when has the capability served as proof that a crime has been committed?
    edited June 2020 gatorguywatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 23
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    lkrupp said:
    In defense of the Gator, his company isn’t anywhere near as evil as Facebook.
    Oferdewmejony0GeorgeBMacright_said_fredwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 23
    No user will ever see a penny from Google.  That company is untouchable because of its wealth and wealthy backers.  They always win lawsuits because they have terrific lawyers and know who to bribe.  Being that Google is a widely-known data harvester, I honestly thought that most people don't care if Google is taking their private/personal data as long as they get decent services.  I won't be holding my breath by waiting for my $5,000.  Google practically runs the entire internet, so I'm sure they will be protected from any financial harm.  Any company that part of the FANG group will remain protected and will continue to do as they please.  They're just too valuable to be messed with.

Any lawsuit against Google is a waste of time and money.  They're simply too powerful to be told how to operate.  It's doubtful even the federal government could regulate Google or Facebook.  I wouldn't be surprised if both companies are secretly backed by U.S. intelligence agencies.
    edited June 2020 Dogpersoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    badmonk said:
    lkrupp said:
    In defense of the Gator, his company isn’t anywhere near as evil as Facebook.
    That’s a very low bar to clear...
    dewmejony0StrangeDayschasmDogpersonwilliamlondonGeorgeBMaccornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    They are absolutely not paying Gatorguy enough.
    GeorgeBMaccornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    chasm said:
    Heck, I agree! At some point it would be nice to be paid for accurate website research. For a short while I was, tho in a different tech field.
    edited June 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 23
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    I had just finished reading about it on another tech site a few minutes earlier so was already familiar with the lawsuit and it's relative merits. That editor came to the same conclusion I did. 
    Dude, why do you even bother.  lkrupp only deals in inuendo and muckraking.  He never makes factual or relevant comments.  Chances are greater than not that he's completely unaware of what Incognito Mode is, how it functions, or what it's actual purpose is.  Most likely doesn't even care to know or discuss facts.  He only sees an opportunity to disparage.  It's his schtick.  You're better off dealing with someone with a modicum of topical knowledge and a willingness to engage in honest discourse.
    gatorguywilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gatorguy said:
    chasm said:
    Heck, I agree! At some point it would be nice to be paid for accurate website research. For a short while I was, tho in a different tech field.
    Was it “accurate website research” that led you to write that the iPhone couldn’t dial emergency services unless you unlocked it first?

edited June 2020 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    chasm said:
    Was it “accurate website research” that led you to write that the iPhone couldn’t dial emergency services unless you unlocked it first?

Huh? 
    edited June 2020
  • Reply 18 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I think the complaint is insinuating that Google is using Chrome to track users, which isn't really the case as Google is attempting to track users whatever browser they're using.  I think complaining about the latter is fine, though doubt there is much if any legal footing.  The former doesn't seem to have any supporting evidence, every browser has private modes, websites have ways of working around them, and nothing suggest that Google is leveraging the browser to aid the tracking.  The fact that Google is both a website and a browser developer is otherwise immaterial.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It knows when you are sleeping...
    It knows when you've been good or bad....
    It knows...

That's their job and they are very good at it.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I’d love for someone... anyone... to prove actual harm for such a thing. Such lawsuits should be rewarded with a push down a flight of stairs.