Apple releases new clip giving an inside look at 'Greyhound'

Posted:
in General Discussion
A new three-and-a-half-minute clip gives viewers an intimate look at "Greyhound" before it's released to Apple TV+.

Greyhound

The sneak peek, published Wednesday on Apple's TV+ YouTube channel, features Tom Hanks' cluing audiences to the importance of the film. He explains the premise of the movie and its portrayal of historical events -- namely how Allied ships were targeted by Nazi submarines.

Set during World War II, Greyhound tells the story of Captain George Krause, a naval officer leading an international armada of ships on a mission to deliver troops and supplier to allied forces during the Battle of the Atlantic. On the way, Krause has to battle personal demons and self-doubts to become an effective leader of the navy destroyer.

Stephen Graham, Rob Morgan, and Elisabeth Shue star alongside Hanks. The film releases to Apple TV+ on July 10.

It was initially reported that Hanks was disappointed in "Greyhound"'s release to Apple TV+ instead of movie theaters. However, he later clarified that Apple "saved the day for us" by allowing anyone with an Apple TV+ subscription to watch the film.

Hanks merely thought that the film would have been ideal for watching on the big screen as an experience, but the ongoing coronavirus pandemic has made that impossible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    With Greyhound, Foundation and the new Will Smith movie coming plus the variety of shows and films available, I can't believe anyone who says Apple TV+ is not worth it at $4.99.

It's just an excuse to sh** on Apple as usual. These productions are super high quality. Any other brand offering this level of quality at $4.99 would be a steal.
    OferthinkgoldentmayJWSCjony0
  • Reply 2 of 5
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Beats said:
    With Greyhound, Foundation and the new Will Smith movie coming plus the variety of shows and films available, I can't believe anyone who says Apple TV+ is not worth it at $4.99.

It's just an excuse to sh** on Apple as usual. These productions are super high quality. Any other brand offering this level of quality at $4.99 would be a steal.
    I wouldn’t pay $4.99 a month as a subscription, but it is worth kicking the tires with a free trial.  A one year subscription is also free when you buy an Apple device.

Generally, I don’t use subscriptions.  I purchase one month and cancel after that.  During that time I binge watch the content.  Going one month Apple TV, then one month HBO, then one month Netflix, then etc.  ... eventually swinging back to the 1st, and starting the process all over again.  This is the “value” but requires a bit more work.

I haven’t tried Apple TV yet, but might be time to give it a look.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Looking forward to this in two days time. The whole family will be watching.

I’d like to slap the sound editor of the clip around a bit because Hanks’ narration was frequently clipped between words (a half second here, a tenth of a second there) and it made for a slightly jarring narration at times.  Natural pauses between words make for very effective voiceovers. The sound editor muffed it badly.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Beats said:

Foundation!!!  Oh, such an interminably long time to wait.  That, coupled with a teensy weensy fear that they’ll blow it a la David Lynch’s 1984 Dune disaster of a movie.  I could never forgive Lynch for that one. Although, the original Twin Peaks was not bad.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    XedXed Posts: 2,560member
    Beats said:

I wouldn’t pay $4.99 a month as a subscription, but it is worth kicking the tires with a free trial.  A one year subscription is also free when you buy an Apple device.

Generally, I don’t use subscriptions.  I purchase one month and cancel after that.  During that time I binge watch the content.  Going one month Apple TV, then one month HBO, then one month Netflix, then etc.  ... eventually swinging back to the 1st, and starting the process all over again.  This is the “value” but requires a bit more work.

I haven’t tried Apple TV yet, but might be time to give it a look.
    While others are maximizing their options by buying up all the available content they can afford, Apple seems to be going for choice, high-quality content. While this may appeal to everyone, if in a year or two they have a few new cinema quality films you want to see the you can stream for $5 per month then it seems foolish to discount Apple TV+ simply because it's not a plethora of old and foreign content people usually don't want mixed in with some streaming service-created content people do want.