Holding out for Apple Silicon Macs, Apple News+ audio stories, and more on the AppleInside...

Posted:
in General Discussion
Twitter experiences a massive security breach, Apple releases iOS 13.6 and iPadOS 13.6, Apple News+ adds audio and local news in the US, "Apple Glass" could use AR to enhance screen privacy, and whether your upgrade should wait on Apple Silicon Macs.

On Wednesday, Twitter employees allegedly gave hackers access to high-profile accounts such as Apple, Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, and others in a Bitcoin scam campaign. Verified Twitter accounts were then locked down for most of the day as the company tried to shut down the hack, but ultimately over $110,000 was transferred as a result of the scam.

Also this week, Apple released software updates to many of its platforms including iOS and iPadOS 13.6. In addition to CarKey support now being available, the update brought audio for all US users, and local news sections for selected major cities, to the Apple News app.

Next, a recent patent filing points to the possibility of utilizing AR and the rumored "Apple Glass" device to hide screen contents from onlookers. This "Privacy Screen" would allow users to interact with their devices like normal but others would only observe a blank screen on the iPhone or iPad device.

Considering the inevitable launch of Apple Silicon-based Macs by the end of the year, should you consider upgrading to any current Intel-based Macs at all? We discuss the pros and cons, and speculate about what new Intel or Apple Silicon devices are coming first.

Last, we cover recent coronavirus updates from Apple and briefly review the Apple TV+ original movie starring Tom Hanks, "Greyhound."

We'd love to hear your feedback! If you have questions you'd like answered on the show or comment, tweet at Stephen Robles and William Gallagher, or email us here. Find us in your favorite podcast player by searching for "AppleInsider" and support the show by leaving a 5-Star rating and comment in Apple Podcasts here.

Sponsored by:

Mint Mobile - Bring your iPhone and get a new wireless plan for just 15 bucks a month!

Links from the show

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Yep, my next Mac will be the 2020 Intel iMac 5K - I want one last powerful boot campable Mac before buying an ARM iMac. A nice core-i9 with the best Navi 5xxx GPU sounds really sweet, even if the design language stays the same - at least it will be guaranteed to have a RAM door. It should make short work of the 7-10 hour transcode sessions I'm having - that is if brew and gem ever get updated beyond Mojave.

Though I have great faith in the new architecture, I'll take a pass on the initial rocky road towards the transition, and let y'all find the problems and endure the bumpy road for me 😏.

Once the problems are ironed out and there are x86 hypervisors capable of running Windows games at speed, I'll take the plunge. Or if the ARM Macs never get to that point, I'll get an ARM Mac and a cheap Windows gaming machine. Or if AAA games start showing up on ARM Macs I'll go straight to the ARM Mac and forget Windows ever existed 😀. Now that I'm retired, games are the only reason I need Windows compatibility - most Windows-only consumer business apps are drying up and turning into web apps.

I actually do expect the high end ARM iMacs to be at least roughly equivalent to the Intel Mac I intend to get - as long as there are still Apple manufacturing and supply chain facilities left if the Three Gorges Dam lets go. Heck, if there are any tech manufacturers and supply chains left.
    edited July 2020
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I actually do expect the high end ARM iMacs to be at least roughly equivalent to the Intel Mac I intend to get - as long as there are still Apple manufacturing and supply chain facilities left if the Three Gorges Dam lets go. Heck, if there are any tech manufacturers and supply chains left.
    These are the sort of monsters that Apple Silicon is going to have to contend with.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorinsights/2020/07/17/lenovo-announces-new-thinkstation-workstation-with-amd-threadripper-pro/#4040a3a82509

Intel and AMD are no longer stuck at the core limitations imposed on them by 14nm. Intel will reach 3nm by 2025 and AMD will get there by 2023. If this thing can run 64 cores and 128 threads, can you imagine what a 3nm AMD or Intel chip will be capable of? This is merely one example of why I am taking a "wait and see" approach to those who claim that Apple Silicon can match the best that Intel and AMD are able to offer in their workstation and server class chips.

Now of course, if Apple decides to make their own versions of the chips that are already present in workstations and servers, all bets are off. But the people who think that Apple's smartphone chips are going to be able to hold their own against monsters like this, they are deluding themselves.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,711member
    These are the sort of monsters that Apple Silicon is going to have to contend with.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorinsights/2020/07/17/lenovo-announces-new-thinkstation-workstation-with-amd-threadripper-pro/#4040a3a82509

Intel and AMD are no longer stuck at the core limitations imposed on them by 14nm. Intel will reach 3nm by 2025 and AMD will get there by 2023. If this thing can run 64 cores and 128 threads, can you imagine what a 3nm AMD or Intel chip will be capable of? This is merely one example of why I am taking a "wait and see" approach to those who claim that Apple Silicon can match the best that Intel and AMD are able to offer in their workstation and server class chips.

Now of course, if Apple decides to make their own versions of the chips that are already present in workstations and servers, all bets are off. But the people who think that Apple's smartphone chips are going to be able to hold their own against monsters like this, they are deluding themselves.
    Intel is 4 years behind schedule to get to 10nm.  what makes you confident that they'll reach 3nm by 2025. They've lost a lot of credibility at this point.
    jdb8167
  • Reply 4 of 4
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I really really really want to see Apple News make a broadcast video channel. The only channel that only informs people of the news without opinion. Unbiased, straight-to-the-point, informative world news.

Intel is 4 years behind schedule to get to 10nm.  what makes you confident that they'll reach 3nm by 2025. They've lost a lot of credibility at this point.
    I get the feeling once they lose Apple who's known to push partners to their limits, they'll fall even more behind and with their richest customer leaving it will be the beginning of the end for Intel.