Warren Buffett's stake in Apple now worth $100 billion

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's latest stock valuation means Warren Buffett's stock holdings are now worth three times what he originally paid for them, starting in 2016.

Berkshire Hathaway's Warren Buffett
Berkshire Hathaway's Warren Buffett

Two weeks after his Apple stake was valued at $91.3 billion, investor Warren Buffett has seen that rise to around $104 billion. It follows Apple's rising share value, which had a 10% increase after the company reported its record-breaking June quarterly figures.

According to Markets Insider, the new figure means that Apple is Buffett's largest single stock holding. It represents more than four times his second largest, which is in Bank of America.

It's a major change from just 2018, when filings from the Securities and Exchange Commission showed that Apple represented 26% of all his holdings.

He began investing Apple in 2016 with a purchase of 9.81 million shares, worth in total around $1 billion. In 2019, Buffett reported to his own investors that his company had spent $35.287 billion buying Apple shares.

In February 2020, it was revealed that he had sold some $800 million worth of Apple shares. He does not appear to have bought any since, so the increase in value of his holdings is entirely down to the share price rise. The number of shares he owns will also have increased, but that is because of Apple's new stock split.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, he doesn’t own as much AAPL as I do, but he’s catching up...  :p
    steve_jobsBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    AAPL at $444 right now, $1.9T. The Oracle of Omaha knows a good bet when he sees one. Tripled his investment in four years. Not bad, uncle Warren, not bad at all.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    lkrupp said:
    AAPL at $444 right now, $1.9T. The Oracle of Omaha knows a good bet when he sees one. Tripled his investment is four years. Not bad, uncle Warren, not bad at all.
    The funny thing is, I don’t even think Warren was the one making the moves on AAPL (possibly it was Ted Weschler or Todd Combs). It was one of the younger guys at Berkshire who are vying to replace him eventually.
    edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    I’ve sold off some of my Apple shares, at an average price of $286.  That’s the bad news. The good news is I invested that money into 300 shares of Tesla, at an average price of $739.  Buffet has me beat on Apple, but I think I’ve got more money in Tesla than he does.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Funny thing is that I suspect this article is off by at least 90%.  We have no idea what stocks Warren Buffet owns.

Berkshire-Hathaway might own $100 billions of AAPL, but Warren Buffet doesn't.  Unless one wants way that Tim Cook is worth $1.8 trillion or whatever because of his position at Apple.

SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Although for a long time Buffett said he really didn't understand tech and Apple, Berkshire Hathaway has certainly benefited from it since they decided to invest in Apple.  Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  Apple is probably one of the best investments Berkshire Hathaway has ever made.  And to think, a few years back, Carl Icahn had a chance to make a killing but he was in too much of a hurry and sold Apple before it really made huge returns for him.

Apple is by far the best investment I've ever made and I'll be holding it for as long as I can.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I’ve sold off some of my Apple shares, at an average price of $286.  That’s the bad news. The good news is I invested that money into 300 shares of Tesla, at an average price of $739.  Buffet has me beat on Apple, but I think I’ve got more money in Tesla than he does.  
    That’s a sad stock story right there.  ;)  I’ve got a million of ‘em myself.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Although for a long time Buffett said he really didn't understand tech and Apple, Berkshire Hathaway has certainly benefited from it since they decided to invest in Apple.  Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.  Apple is probably one of the best investments Berkshire Hathaway has ever made.  And to think, a few years back, Carl Icahn had a chance to make a killing but he was in too much of a hurry and sold Apple before it really made huge returns for him.

Apple is by far the best investment I've ever made and I'll be holding it for as long as I can.
    That's the problem with AAPL: you can't sell any shares because it's always the best investment out there.  (I'm only sort of kidding.)  My initial investments of a few thousand dollars are now worth 6 figures, but all I ever do is buy more shares. When I retire and start cashing things out for a change, my AAPL shares will be hard to part with.  I expect my heirs will inherit this paper wealth that Steve and Tim have created for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13

That's the problem with AAPL: you can't sell any shares because it's always the best investment out there.  (I'm only sort of kidding.)  My initial investments of a few thousand dollars are now worth 6 figures, but all I ever do is buy more shares. When I retire and start cashing things out for a change, my AAPL shares will be hard to part with.  I expect my heirs will inherit this paper wealth that Steve and Tim have created for me.

Turn your shares into a private foundation for your family, then it’ll live on tax-free long after you’re gone. :)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pagesnow/2019/04/08/the-tax-benefits-of-doing-the-right-thing/#26c0fb8a3020
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

I believe he has nothing in Tesla.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Beats said:

I believe he has nothing in Tesla.
    Which means something...
  • Reply 12 of 13
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    From Berkshire's 10-Q filed today, it looks like they didn't buy or sell any (meaningful number of) Apple shares in the second quarter. I wasn't expecting that they had, but I usually check to make sure.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    If Berkshire's AAPL holdings remain the same as at the end of the second quarter, based on yesterday's closing price they're now worth about $129.5 billion.

Based on Berkshire's reported equity holdings at the end of the second quarter and yesterday's closing prices, that would represent more than 50% of Berkshire's equity holdings.