Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 may be cheaper than original at launch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
Samsung's Galaxy Z Fold 2 smartphone could cost consumers a little less money than the original Galaxy Fold at launch, with Samsung's own website seemingly revealing the price ahead of its official unveiling on September 1.

Initially revealed alongside other new releases in early August, the Galaxy Z Fold 2 was outlined by Samsung, but a release date and pricing for the smartphone were not advised at the time. Ahead of a Samsung Unpacked livestream that will take place on September 1, the Samsung website in the United Kingdom briefly displayed the price of the new model, before being taken down.

The leak, reported by Android Authority, reveals the price of the Galaxy Z Fold 2 in the UK to be 1,799 ($2,400). The price is approximately 100 ($133) cheaper than the Samsung Galaxy Fold at launch, which may be a small comfort for potential buyers.

The pricing in the United States probably won't be as high as in the United Kingdom, especially as prices in the UK incorporate sales tax automatically, which for most electronic goods is set at 20%. The pre-tax UK price brings it down to 1,499 ($2,001), somewhat closer to the $1,980 launch price of the Galaxy Fold in the United States, but it is likely Samsung will lower the price further so the second-generation model is cheaper that the first in most territories.

Even with a small reduction, the price of the Galaxy Z Fold 2 will still seem quite expensive compared to Apple's top-tier iPhones. For example, the most expensive iPhone 11 Pro Max with 512GB of storage is $1,449, or a pair of 256GB iPhone 11 units could be acquired for a combined total of $1,698, or three 256GB iPhone SE handsets for a collective $1,647.

The Galaxy Z Fold 2 sports a larger 7.7-inch folding screen, up from 7.3 inches, and has a 6.23-inch screen on the front. Powered by a Snapdragon 865 chip, it includes two 12-megapixel cameras with a 64-megapixel zoom version. As well as being able to select the color of the device itself, customers can also elect to customize the device's hinge, by opting for a red, blue, silver, or gold casing.

It will remain to be seen how well the new version will take on the rigors of consumer use, as Samsung has spent more time refining the design, which could help make it more resilient. The first version suffered issues with the screen during reviews, forcing Samsung to rethink the design before shipping a modified version months later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Why is there no mention of 5G?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    It's the technology equivalent of a record player duct taped to wagon and saying, "See - a mobile music player!"
    BeatsStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    This will be as successful as 3D movies, except it won’t be the animation that make people dizzy but the price.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    I still don’t see the advantage of this device. It is nor crab nor fish. It is at least twice as thick as a normal phone, and still with smaller display then an iPad. I can’t put this silly brick in my pocket and for the same money I can bye an iPhone and an iPad
    StrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Samsung: a dog chasing it's tail.
    olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    qwerty52 said:
    I still don’t see the advantage of this device. It is nor crab nor fish. It is at least twice as thick as a normal phone, and still with smaller display then an iPad. I can’t put this silly brick in my pocket and for the same money I can bye an iPhone and an iPad
    Consider it a stepping stone. Right now it's not the magic solution to the problem with people wanting displays that are bigger than the device they bring with them; so it's just sort of a solution, for those willing to accept the compromises needed to get the technology as it is today.

Then again, maybe we shouldn't underestimate what "the people" want; perhaps there's a big market for these (once the prices drops to the normal for a more high end phone). Some people want what might seem weird to others; for example, I would easily replace my iPhone with an 8" iPad mini if it got the iPad Pro features/look; so there's at least a market of one for crazy big phones that very much don't fit in a pocket (I consider the Apple Watch to be my primary "phone", though).
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 16
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    svanstrom said:
    qwerty52 said:
    Consider it a stepping stone. Right now it's not the magic solution to the problem with people wanting displays that are bigger than the device they bring with them; so it's just sort of a solution, for those willing to accept the compromises needed to get the technology as it is today.

Then again, maybe we shouldn't underestimate what "the people" want; perhaps there's a big market for these (once the prices drops to the normal for a more high end phone). Some people want what might seem weird to others; for example, I would easily replace my iPhone with an 8" iPad mini if it got the iPad Pro features/look; so there's at least a market of one for crazy big phones that very much don't fit in a pocket (I consider the Apple Watch to be my primary "phone", though).

Samsung doesn't know what it's doing. They only rushed this turd to market to beat Apple like all their other turds: Galaxy Gear, Galaxy Edge and now this. If Apple ever releases their foldable product then it will all suddenly make sense and we won't have to wait for it to "mature".
    pscooter63jony0watto_cobraqwerty52
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Beats said:

Samsung doesn't know what it's doing. They only rushed this turd to market to beat Apple like all their other turds: Galaxy Gear, Galaxy Edge and now this. If Apple ever releases their foldable product then it will all suddenly make sense and we won't have to wait for it to "mature".
    Apple might not be (hardly ever) first off the blocks with some bits of technology but they have a track record of making it work well and pretty well seamlessley alongside other tech.
    Think of it as a point tech solution (samsung) and a total solution (Apple). Gimmicks are great for tech writers. They get far more copy out of them than a well designed but slightly boring product. Users have to live with them for the long term which the tech writers mostly don't. Soon those gimmicks become irritating or simply don't get used.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    svanstrom said:
    qwerty52 said:

The users don’t need a steppingstone, and less more a half steppingstone like this Samsung’s “innovation”.
    If this device it’s not the magic solution and not mature enough, then it should stay still in the labs of Samsung and not in the stores.
    But obviously Samsung hasn’t problem with that and proudly ask so much money for a half-baked device.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    Samsung makes phones with folding screens for couple of years now while apple still can’t figure out how to get rid if that stupid screen notch:( 
  • Reply 11 of 16
    qwerty52 said:
    svanstrom said:
    qwerty52 said:

The users don’t need a steppingstone, and less more a half steppingstone like this Samsung’s “innovation”.
    If this device it’s not the magic solution and not mature enough, then it should stay still in the labs of Samsung and not in the stores.
    But obviously Samsung hasn’t problem with that and proudly ask so much money for a half-baked device.
    Just like no one should have bothered with trains until they were fast enough and tracks were everywhere, and no one should have bothered making any cars until Tesla came around and perfected them; and no one should have made early day computers because they weren’t perfected yet, and no b/w video games, and no first generation Apple Watch because until they could make the one true and only generation that has all the features that ever could be put in it?
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    johnbear said:
    Samsung makes phones with folding screens for couple of years now while apple still can’t figure out how to get rid if that stupid screen notch:( 
    Silly nonsense. The folding screens all suck. The notch will remain for the foreseeable future until such day comes that the myriad of sensors can work under a screen. Here IRL it’s not a big deal at all. No more bothersome than my rear-view mirror is in the windscreen. 
    pscooter63olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

svanstrom said:
    qwerty52 said:
    svanstrom said:
    qwerty52 said:

Just like no one should have bothered with trains until they were fast enough and tracks were everywhere, and no one should have bothered making any cars until Tesla came around and perfected them; and no one should have made early day computers because they weren’t perfected yet, and no b/w video games, and no first generation Apple Watch because until they could make the one true and only generation that has all the features that ever could be put in it?
    You believe Tesla perfected automobiles? That’s an interesting opinion. I don’t, they’re still full of compromises, such as energy storage vs weight, charging opportunities, charging times, battery issues from lifespan to precious metal constraints, mining, and other issues not often discussed.

https://blog.ballard.com/electric-vehicle-battery-supply-chain

We don’t have perfect vehicles. Compromises abound. 

edited August 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    svanstrom said:
    qwerty52 said:
    svanstrom said:
    qwerty52 said:

All examples you mention were revolutionary breakthroughs. If you want to use the analogy with smartphones then the only one that likely qualifies is the first iPhone. Making it foldable is an evolutionary step, and so far not executed well. I also don’t agree that cars have reached the point of perfection. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Man, why can't Apple ever innovate anymore? 10 years ago we were always the leader of the pact. Nowadays we're about 3 phone cycles behind even the lamest brands, not to mention Samsung. I remember when they first had 4K cameras on their phones like 6 years ago. Everyone here was saying 4K is useless. Now none of us can live without it. Or having larger screen sizes. Everyone here laughed at that and said a 3.5" screen is the maximum size phones should be. Nowadays that would be a total joke. I think it's the same thing with this folding technology. In 5 years we'll finally get a folding screen iPhone and everyone here will be raving about it. But why can't we get it TODAY like Samsung, Motorola, Huawei, OPPO and all these no-name brands already have. We pay the highest price but get the oldest technology as usual. Hurry up Apple!
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Man, why can't Apple ever innovate anymore? 10 years ago we were always the leader of the pact. Nowadays we're about 3 phone cycles behind even the lamest brands, not to mention Samsung. I remember when they first had 4K cameras on their phones like 6 years ago. Everyone here was saying 4K is useless. Now none of us can live without it. Or having larger screen sizes. Everyone here laughed at that and said a 3.5" screen is the maximum size phones should be. Nowadays that would be a total joke. I think it's the same thing with this folding technology. In 5 years we'll finally get a folding screen iPhone and everyone here will be raving about it. But why can't we get it TODAY like Samsung, Motorola, Huawei, OPPO and all these no-name brands already have. We pay the highest price but get the oldest technology as usual. Hurry up Apple!
    Then please go buy "the lamest brand" and be happy.

And I meant that in the most sincere sense.

Why would you bother with the old crap that Apple try to push if truly think that the other stuff out there is so much better?