Tim Cook, Draymond Green face off in Apple Watch challenge

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook is currently engaged in an Apple Watch Activity Challenge with Golden State Warrior forward Draymond Green.

Credit: Apple/Golden State Warriors
Credit: Apple/Golden State Warriors

Green, a professional NBA player for the San Francisco Golden State Warriors, challenged Cook on Tuesday in a Twitter video. The Bay Area-based Apple chief executive promptly agreed to the competition.

Cook appeared to have a head start in the challenge with his morning workout on Monday. In a tweet, he asked if Green was up yet.

Just wrapped my morning workout! You up yet @Money23Green? pic.twitter.com/KTg7KrVbcb

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

Green responded with an image of his own on Monday morning, showing that he hadn't had the productive start to the day that Cook had. The Apple CEO famously wakes up at 4 a.m. each morning.

I see you're putting up HOF numbers in this challenge @tim_cook https://t.co/0e0FyhztO0 pic.twitter.com/vY2jJfo6Fu

-- Draymond Green (@Money23Green)

A few hours later, Green seemingly caught up with Cook -- and asked in a tweet if the Apple executive was still getting in some activity during the day.

No excuses. All results. You still getting after it @tim_cook ? pic.twitter.com/72K32uLigb

Cook responded with an image of his shoes up on a table, and said he was "taking a break" so that Green could catch up.

Taking a break so you can catch up. @Money23Green pic.twitter.com/D7hKNJXo3a

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

In protest, Green said there was no need for Cook to "take it easy" on him.

No need to take it easy on me @Tim_Cook we're both killing it! May have to hit a two a day pic.twitter.com/cIM1cS87sl

The Apple Watch supports seven-day activity competitions between users as a way to motivate them to get active. It isn't clear if Cook and Green are, in fact, in a activity competition or if they're simply informally competing by posting images of their progress.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Are people getting their Watches today?  Mine is still “preparing to ship” and I’m dying...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Someday a future historian will have trouble naming this chapter “Apple Watch era” or “Tim Cook era.” 
    The Apple Watch really has been the signature product of Tim’s tenure so far. I was struck by how personal his endorsement of the product was during the recent presentation. 
    gregoriusmjdb8167GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    They both win!
    gregoriusmGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    My "stand ring" is usually closed by the end of the day, I guess that means I win over each of them.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    bsnjon said:
    Someday a future historian will have trouble naming this chapter “Apple Watch era” or “Tim Cook era.” 
    The Apple Watch really has been the signature product of Tim’s tenure so far. I was struck by how personal his endorsement of the product was during the recent presentation. 
    AirPods are the single most influential product of the Tim Cook era. 
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I didn’t know Tim was such a genuine sportsman - and I find it hard to believe so.
    During the keynote he rather showed himself an air monger.
    Maybe Draymond can assist Tim running around Apple Campus in order to find AirTiles, AirPower, HomePod Mini and whatever else that got delayed or cancelled.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I didn’t know Tim was such a genuine sportsman - and I find it hard to believe so.
    Maybe Draymond can assist Tim running around Apple Campus in order to find AirTiles, AirPower, HomePod Mini and whatever else that got delayed or cancelled.

Is Tim an athlete?  Of course not.
    But he does prioritize his health and works out on a regular basis -- like all Americans should.  There are multiple reasons why we spend $3.5Trillion a year on "healthcare" (actually "DiseaseManagement") and unhealthy lifestyles are a major, probably THE major, contributor to that fiasco.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11

But he does prioritize his health and works out on a regular basis -- like all Americans should.  There are multiple reasons why we spend $3.5Trillion a year on "healthcare" (actually "DiseaseManagement") and unhealthy lifestyles are a major, probably THE major, contributor to that fiasco.
    There multiple bios out there that say Tim is an avid cyclists, that would very much make him an athlete. 
  • Reply 9 of 11

There multiple bios out there that say Tim is an avid cyclists, that would very much make him an athlete. 

I guess that depends on how one defines an athlete.
    Compared to me he's likely world class (even though I progressed from cycling 4,000 miles a year to running).
    But compared to Draymond, he's little more than a couch potato

But yeh, I get your point:   anybody committed to athletics should be considered an athlete.   I was being finicky.
    I attend a sports performance training clinic twice a week where they train people like me as well as college and professional athletes.
    When I compare myself to my friends, I'm definitely an athlete.  But as soon as a real college or pro athlete walks into that training center I realize how wrong I was!
  • Reply 10 of 11

Compared to me he's likely world class (even though I progressed from cycling 4,000 miles a year to running).

But yeh, I get your point:   anybody committed to athletics should be considered an athlete.   I was being finicky.
    I attend a sports performance training clinic twice a week where they train people like me as well as college and professional athletes.
    When I compare myself to my friends, I'm definitely an athlete.  But as soon as a real college or pro athlete walks into that training center I realize how wrong I was!
    I had struggled with the word for years. I did triathlon for over a decade (still do but not as into it as I once was) but I didn’t consider myself an athlete because my performance wasn’t up there with the pros. At some point I pulled my head out of my ass and realized I was an athlete even if I couldn’t make a living doing it. 
    edited September 2020
  • Reply 11 of 11

I had struggled with the word for years. I did triathlon for over a decade (still do but not as into it as I once was) but I didn’t consider myself an athlete because my performance wasn’t up there with the pros. At some point I pulled my head out of my ass and realized I was an athlete even if I couldn’t make a living doing it. 

LOL... If you're doing Triathlons then you are an athlete!
    No, that's not quite it:    You're not an athlete, you're an ATHLETE!

You have my respect sir!

Me?  I'm happy if I run 6 miles.

edited September 2020 watto_cobra