Apple 'iPhone 12' event rumored for Oct. 13 as Eddy Cue promotes Services to UK carrier st...

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2020
Apple may be preparing to hold its next special event for the "iPhone 12" on October 13, meanwhile Eddy Cue has appeared in an internal presentation for a UK carrier about the next iPhone, and its rumored 5G capabilities.

Mock-ups of the iPhone 12 Pro
Mock-ups of the iPhone 12 Pro

Apple is anticipated to be holding a second special event in the not too distant future, but it is unclear when it will take place. According to a tipster contacting AppleInsider, Apple will be holding the event on Tuesday, October 13, with preorders starting the following Friday, October 16.

The tip was sent by someone self-identified as working for a carrier in the Netherlands. While there is no concrete evidence corroborating the event date itself, the message's IP address is one within a range controlled by a carrier's corporate network.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Europe, another carrier is gearing up for Apple's product launch, and is similarly expecting 5G connectivity. An internal presentation for BT and EE has British Telecom CEO Marc Allera declaring Apple is close to launching a 5G iPhone in "days," reports MacRumors.

Eddy Cue appearing during an internal BT and EE presentation
Eddy Cue appearing during an internal BT and EE presentation [via MacRumors]

"We are just days away from Apple's next major launch, a 5G iPhone, which will be a huge boost for 5G," said Allera to employees. "Teams in all parts of Consumer have been preparing all year to win this launch, and be Europe's number one partner for Apple."

During the presentation, Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue appeared in a brief clip, congratulating EE for becoming the first carrier offering consumers smartphone plans that are bundled with multiple Apple services. It is unclear if Cue mentioned 5G, but given Apple's penchant for secrecy, it seems extremely unlikely.

Apple is anticipated to launch the "iPhone 12" alongside the "iPhone 12 Max" or the "iPhone 12 mini, with each sporting a 5.4-inch and 6.7-inch OLED screen. They will probably be joined by the 6.1-inch "iPhone 12 Pro" and the 6.7-inch "iPhone 12 Pro Max."

Rumors point to the "iPhone 12" having two 12-megapixel cameras versus the Pro models having three, with the latter also thought to have LiDAR sensors for depth mapping, enabling enhanced AR and photography functionality.

All of the models are expected to have 5G support, though it is still questionable as to how it will play out. While all models are likely to include support for sub-6GHz bands, there is speculation only specific models will support the high-speed mmWave element.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    I hope they put the new TouchID button from the IPad Air on the new iPhone. FaceID is great and all, but this mask-wearing pandemic doesn’t seem to be letting up for at least another year... having the phone respond automatically to either FaceID and TouchID would be a godsend.
    equality72521caladanianretrogustoJapheyCheeseFreezespock1234chemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 34
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Apple will announce a new Mac App Store or a unified "Apple App Store" at the event for Apple Silicon Macs.

This is what's getting the shi**y developers scared. I'm calling it now.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 34
    I forgot Eddy Cue was still about! I don’t mean that nastily, just that he’s been quite absent from Apple’s consumer and developer announcements in the last few years. Perhaps he prefers to take a back seat to let other VPs present. 
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 34
    kiehtan said:
    I hope they put the new TouchID button from the IPad Air on the new iPhone. FaceID is great and all, but this mask-wearing pandemic doesn’t seem to be letting up for at least another year... having the phone respond automatically to either FaceID and TouchID would be a godsend.
    Pretty sure that's what they're doing.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    The work from home orders but be rough on Eddy Cue. He looks like aged 20 years.....though the picture is not that great...….
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 34
    kiehtan said:
    I can type in my passcode in a moment with the new mask aware Face ID upgrade. I’ve not encountered a case where that’s been an undue burden. Grocery, gas station etc. 
    ronnspock1234lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Beats said:
    Apple will announce a new Mac App Store or a unified "Apple App Store" at the event for Apple Silicon Macs.

Why would they need a "new" Mac App Store for ASi? That makes no sense. They already announced they'll be doing cross-platform purchases.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    Beats said:

Why would they need a "new" Mac App Store for ASi? That makes no sense. They already announced they'll be doing cross-platform purchases.

It makes a ton of sense. How do you not see the potential?
  • Reply 9 of 34
    I've never been able to remember how many megapixels each iPhone has, largely because of each one's dual camera resolution dichotomy. This could be a good time for Apple's crack marketing team to make it more obvious. They could call it the iPhone 12M to remind us it's 12 Megapixels on both sides. They could still refer to the higher end model as the "12M Pro". (Or maybe the "12ML" for Megapixel Lidar.") Everyone would ask what the M was for, and the answer would be Megapixels, on both cameras.

This sounds silly, but Apple did this once before. They called their second iPhone the iPhone 3G. They used the iPhone version number to help us remember a feature. All I'm saying is that they could do the same thing this time around.

Marketing gimmicks are just gimmicks, but some gimmicks help to sell products. The name "3G" probably helped, and I think "12M" would help too. But if I'm right, don't count me as a leaker. I'm just a guesser.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    I've never been able to remember how many megapixels each iPhone has, largely because of each one's dual camera resolution dichotomy. This could be a good time for Apple's crack marketing team to make it more obvious. They could call it the iPhone 12M to remind us it's 12 Megapixels on both sides. They could still refer to the higher end model as the "12M Pro". (Or maybe the "12ML" for Megapixel Lidar.") Everyone would ask what the M was for, and the answer would be Megapixels, on both cameras.

This sounds silly, but Apple did this once before. They called their second iPhone the iPhone 3G. They used the iPhone version number to help us remember a feature. All I'm saying is that they could do the same thing this time around.

Marketing gimmicks are just gimmicks, but some gimmicks help to sell products. The name "3G" probably helped, and I think "12M" would help too. But if I'm right, don't count me as a leaker. I'm just a guesser.

That could work for one model but that's about it. iPhone 3G made more sense at the time than "12M" makes now.
    ronn
  • Reply 11 of 34

Dude, it makes no sense. Why just why?

the 4 cameras have 12MP what’s there to remind us?

Next you are going to say that Apple should call it iPhone 12MF1.8,F2.4,F2.0 at least then there’s aperture differences which is more important to know than just the MP. 

ronnspock1234watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Beats said:

What do you mean? Although you can opt to publish to both, it is still up to the developer to design software for phone usage or desktop usage. Enforcing publishing for both platforms would be unwise for Apple to do.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 34
    My biggest incentive for a new phone is the camera. The phone itself is great as it is - these type of devices matured so much, that I only care about a 3–5 year upgrade cycle.
    However, I am hoping for phones to use a combination of computational photography and larger sensors or specific inventions to get closer to DSLR like footage, whether that’s more light coming in, better dynamic range, optical F-stop improvements and optical zoom range. I wouldn’t mind for even more lenses on the backside of the phone if they can work together to composite better photos. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Beats said:
    They could still refer to the higher end model as the "12M Pro".
    That could work for one model but that's about it. iPhone 3G made more sense at the time than "12M" makes now.
    Sometimes I put on my "creative hat" and try to come up with new trademark ideas. I've never been right so far. But in another thread I recently predicted that Apple would take this "Apple Silicon opportunity" (and imminent redesign) to rename its Mac lineup with "Apple" instead. AppleBook, Apple Mini, Apple Pro, etc. I don't recall anyone criticizing or complimenting that idea. So maybe that one is a good idea. We will likely find out soon.
    spock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Apple_Bar said:

Dude, it makes no sense. Why just why?

the 4 cameras have 12MP what’s there to remind us?

Next you are going to say that Apple should call it iPhone 12MF1.8,F2.4,F2.0 at least then there’s aperture differences which is more important to know than just the MP. 

You didn't disagree with my assertion that Apple has named one of its previous iPhones after one of its own features. So you understand my point, and that's all I can ask. And I promise not to come back to say "I told you so," if I turn out to be right. And we all know that the "iPhone 3G" was a temporary marketing gimmick, there was no "iPhone 4G," so I would never agree to your proposal that they should start using F-stops in their product name.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Beats said:
    Beats said:

It makes a ton of sense. How do you not see the potential?
    For cross-platform (iOS, iPadOS, macOS), it's a great for consumers => buy once, run "anywhere".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Beats said:

If you end up being right I will say you were prescient. But what's the reason for your expectation? I see no reason provided in either of your posts. I've tried hard to guess your reason, for examples:
    • Developers would be scared because they don't have the skills required to post apps on two different stores.
    • Developers would be scared because if they don't update their apps, they will appear to be not updating their apps and lose business.
    • Developers would be scared because they have no intention to provide native Apple Silicon apps and their apps will not be seen on the new store.
    I'm trying my very best to understand what's in your mind, but I don't think I'm succeeding. Would you be willing to state your reason? I appear unable to guess it. I will try to show respect whatever your reason is.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Beats said:
    kiehtan said:
    Huh? There is zero chance of that. Zero. Even if Apple wanted to, the design was fixed many months ago and manufacturing has already begun. Not to mention the ten other reasons this isn't feasible.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Any phone without full 5G is non-starter for me.

Why would anybody invest in multi-year product chained to yesterday's technology?   Yeh, there are some who trade-in their phone every year or two.  But I'm not one of them.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:
    kiehtan said:
    Huh? There is zero chance of that. Zero. Even if Apple wanted to, the design was fixed many months ago and manufacturing has already begun. Not to mention the ten other reasons this isn't feasible.
    You assume that this wasn't the design before the pandemic.

I don't think it's likely, but it's possible.