Yale HomeKit Smart Delivery Box and Smart Cabinet Lock now available to order

Posted:
in General Discussion
Yale's HomeKit-capable Smart Storage boxes are now available to order that aim to increase the security of your home deliveries and interior valuables.

Yale Smart Delivery Box and Smart Cabinet Lock
Yale Smart Delivery Box (left) and Smart Cabinet Lock (right)

After being shown off at CES 2020, Yale Home is finally making both its Yale Delivery Box and Yale Smart Cabinet Lock available to purchase.

The Yale Smart Delivery Box is an outdoor solution to porch piracy. This box allows users to control access via the Yale Access App. Users can grant access, lock and unlock the box, and get notified whenever the box is opened.

Users can have the box unlocked, then automatically lock once a package has been inserted.

Yale Smart Cabinet Lock
Yale Smart Cabinet Lock

There is also the Yale Smart Cabinet Lock to help secure drawers and cabinets that contain valuable objects. A medicine or liquor cabinet can be locked safe, as could a cabinet full of cleaning supplies. It is targeted towards parents or rental owners who have objects to keep safe.

It is mounted using either 3M adhesive or screws. It can be locked and unlocked from the Yale Access app and users can get notifications when it is opened from anywhere when used with the Yale Connect Wi-Fi Bridge.

Both the Smart Delivery Box as well as the Smart Cabinet Lock can be controlled via Apple's HomeKit.

Yale also recently released its new Wi-Fi-connected version of its popular August smart lock with Internet connectivity built in and a massively reduced size.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    They use screws or 3M adhesive to prevent someone stealing the whole security box. Looks like I could open it with a butter knife.

(facepalm)

• Reply 2 of 4
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    charles1 said:
    They use screws or 3M adhesive to prevent someone stealing the whole security box. Looks like I could open it with a butter knife.

(facepalm)

Yeah, it sounds like a veritable Ft Knox of invincible, lock-box security. Not. But it is undoubtedly better than just having packages laying out in the open. I would call it a "deterrent" to porch piracy. Calling it a "solution" to porch piracy is a bit of hyperbole.

I've been quite pleased with Amazon's Key service and in-garage delivery with linked cameras (and wifi garage door opener of course). It provides a certain level of peace of mind if you receive deliveries when not at home, or even when you are at home and unable to dash to the door. The only downside is that not all Amazon purchases are Key delivery compatible. I think it only works when actual Amazon/Prime vehicle and service agents are used and not with those that are subbed to USPS, UPS, or FedEx. When it's available, which is most of the time, it's awesome.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    To me, a delivery box would be a target filled or not.  Maybe if it could remain propped open until a deliver was made, but even then you'd have someone trying to open it whenever it was closed.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    To me, a delivery box would be a target filled or not.  Maybe if it could remain propped open until a deliver was made, but even then you'd have someone trying to open it whenever it was closed.

Nobody ever claimed it would be an impenetrable safe on your porch.
    It is the equivalent to locking your car doors in your driveway. Easy enough to break the glass, but most of the time, the thieves are looking for unlocked car doors and move on when they don't find it.

From what I read, it seems the box remains unlocked until your first delivery and locks after it has been opened and closed. So, if you are expecting multiple deliveries in a day, you may need to remotely unlock it for the subsequent deliveries.

This also works with the August app. I already have an August lock and keypad. I hope they upgrade the keypad to allow two codes to be used. One for the door and one for the Smart Box.