Google announces Google Pixel 5 for $699, Pixel 4A 5G for $499

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2020
Google on Wednesday unveiled the 5G-equipped Google Pixel 5 and the lower-cost Google Pixel 4A 5G, alongside other hardware and software announcements.

Credit: Google
Credit: Google

A month after teasing the Google Pixel 5 and Google Pixel 4A the Mountain View company announced the new devices at its virtual Sept. 30 "Launch Night In" event. Other products unveiled Wednesday include a new Chromecast and an updated Nest smart speaker device.

The Google Pixel 5 is a 6-inch OLED device equipped with a midrange Snapdragon 765G CPU, 8GB of RAM and 5G support (both mmWave and sub-6GHz). The Pixel also lacks a 3.5mm headphone jack, which is included on some of the cheaper Google devices.

Google has given the cameras -- long a key feature of its Pixel lineu -- an upgrade on the new Pixel devices. The dual-lens setup features the same 12.2MP camera as previous devices, but the company has also added a new 16MP ultrawide lens. As far as computational photography features, Google has added Night Sight to its portrait mode, a new Portrait Light feature, and new video modes.

On the design, the Pixel 5 now sports an aluminum housing and an edge-to-edge display. Instead of the top bezel that housed Google's face unlock and radar sensors, the Pixel 5 now sports an 8MP hole punch front-facing camera. Additionally, the Pixel 5 packs 128GB of internal storage; an IP68 water- and dust-resistance rating; 18W USB-C fast charging; and a 4,080mAh battery with a new low-power, battery-saving mode. It features an adjustable 90Hz screen refresh rate, and wireless charging with Battery Share.

The lower-cost Google Pixel 4A 5G is a 6.2-inch OLED device, making it the largest in the company's lineup. Like the Pixel 5, it features a 12.2MP and ultrawide 16MP rear-facing cameras and an 8MP front-facing camera. As the name suggests, it supports 5G service. However, compared to Google's flagship, there are some trade-offs. The Google Pixel 4A 5G has 6GB of RAM, no water resistance rating, a smaller battery, and a slower 60Hz screen refresh rate.

The Google Pixel 5 is priced at $699 and is currently available for preorder at both B&H Photo and Amazon. It comes in two colors: Just Black and Sorta Sage. The Google Pixel 4A 5G will retail for $499, and interested buyers can currently sign up for a waitlist to be notified about its release date.

Google also announced a new "Chromecast with Google TV" streaming device, which costs $49.99 and features a remote control for the first time, as well as a Nest Audio device with touch controls and a "smart sound" feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Where are the Google Stores where they can be tested before buying?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Who needs a "Google Store"?  You don't have carrier stores or BestBuy or Costco or SamsClub or any other store that sells cell phones to try it? 

There is also a thing called a return policy.  Don't like it, send it back. 

edited September 2020 gatorguyctt_zh
  • Reply 3 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Who needs a "Google Store"?  You don't have carrier stores or BestBuy or Costco or SamsClub or any other store that sells cell phones to try it? 

There is also a thing called a return policy.  Don't like it, send it back. 

They probably don't carry these cheap knockoffs. Maybe try Family Dollar?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Comes with an 18w charger.
    if Apple drops a charger and at the same time doesn’t drop the price of the Iphone by the rrp of a charger Apple are a pack of lying liars.
    lkruppBeatsctt_zh
  • Reply 5 of 15
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    entropys said:
    if Apple drops a charger and at the same time doesn’t drop the price of the Iphone by the rrp of a charger Apple are a pack of lying liars.

Do you have insider info on component costs and logistics? If not this is just rambling. I do not want Apple to pass on the savings to the customer and prefer them to use the savings on the product itself. Of course a million media articles will be nonsensically mocking this approach by Apple.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 15
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    entropys said:
    Last time I checked, the same clowns crucified Apple for removing the headphone jack... oh look... others followed.

get over it.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    entropys said:

This is a very naive comment.

That cost could be offset by the cost of other more expensive parts and components and the price could even go up in some instances... Like say replacing the LCD display with an OLED on the non-Pro models, which is also rumored.
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 15
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    Ouch!! After more than 5 years and countless millions on R+D for project Soli, motion-sense was completely removed from the newest Pixel lineup after only 10 months.  Major burn. The money that they waste on a regular basis is just an absolute sin. They’ve also returned to the more basic fingerprint reader for unlock and security. Notice they’ve added a security core to the processor attempting to ape Apple’s long utilised and well proven Secure Enclave, - Which if rolled out across android would be a boon to its users as they certainly need the security! As it stands being only on the pixel whose dismal sales figures can best place it in the ‘niche’ category, it will doubtless be removed from next years lineup for being too costly and poorly implemented. It’s actually a shame about Soli as it has potential. They’ll likely wait and see what and how Apple plans to utilise its UWB U1 chip before seeing a return, if at all. I think that is one of the reasons for its removal as Apple is being very slow and purposeful, not to mention secretive in what it has planned for U1. This years pixel is very much a mid range handset which surprises me. I’m curious to see if they further improve on nightsight this time too as the camera was the pixels one redeeming quality. Hopefully Apple ups the game even further too.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Gaby said:
    Ouch!! After more than 5 years and countless millions on R+D for project Soli, motion-sense was completely removed from the newest Pixel lineup after only 10 months.  Major burn. The money that they waste on a regular basis is just an absolute sin. They’ve also returned to the more basic fingerprint reader for unlock and security. Notice they’ve added a security core to the processor attempting to ape Apple’s long utilised and well proven Secure Enclave, - Which if rolled out across android would be a boon to its users as they certainly need the security! As it stands being only on the pixel whose dismal sales figures can best place it in the ‘niche’ category, it will doubtless be removed from next years lineup for being too costly and poorly implemented. It’s actually a shame about Soli as it has potential. They’ll likely wait and see what and how Apple plans to utilise its UWB U1 chip before seeing a return, if at all. I think that is one of the reasons for its removal as Apple is being very slow and purposeful, not to mention secretive in what it has planned for U1. This years pixel is very much a mid range handset which surprises me. I’m curious to see if they further improve on nightsight this time too as the camera was the pixels one redeeming quality. Hopefully Apple ups the game even further too.  
    From two years ago, 2018: 

Google’s new Pixel 3 phones have a “Titan M” security chip. Apple has something similar with its “Secure Enclave” on iPhones. Samsung’s Galaxy phones and other Android phones often use ARM’s TrustZone technology. Here’s how they help protect your phone.

The Basics

https://www.howtogeek.com/387934/your-smartphone-has-a-special-security-chip.-heres-how-it-works/

As for Project Soli it's not dead. No idea if The Pixel 4 was meant to be only a testbed device anyway (sad if buyers were guinea pigs all along) or if there were issues discovered after the fact as the reason it's no longer part of this years Pixel phone lineup. Marketing or economic choice, app support lacking, buyers prefer fingerprint readers, not working as designed, all would be potential suspects for not seeing it in the Pixel 5. But there is on-going Soli development by both Google ATAP and 3rd party developers in the area of control surfaces, music, etc, so still a live project developing uses beyond a smartphone. 
    edited October 2020 ctt_zh
  • Reply 10 of 15
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    gatorguy said:
    Gaby said:

Google’s new Pixel 3 phones have a “Titan M” security chip. Apple has something similar with its “Secure Enclave” on iPhones. Samsung’s Galaxy phones and other Android phones often use ARM’s TrustZone technology. Here’s how they help protect your phone.

The Basics

https://www.howtogeek.com/387934/your-smartphone-has-a-special-security-chip.-heres-how-it-works/

As for Project Soli it's not dead. No idea if The Pixel 4 was meant to be only a testbed device anyway (sad if buyers were guinea pigs all along) or if there were issues discovered after the fact as the reason it's no longer part of this years Pixel phone lineup. Marketing or economic choice, app support lacking, buyers prefer fingerprint readers, not working as designed, all would be potential suspects for not seeing it in the Pixel 5. But there is on-going Soli development by both Google ATAP and 3rd party developers in the area of control surfaces, music, etc, so still a live project developing uses beyond a smartphone. 
    I have to say I’d never noticed mention of the Titan M before and as they specifically referenced it this time I figured it was a new feature, so admittedly that’s my bad. Thanks for the information. I’m not the greatest authority on android devices.  Regarding SOLI another problem is to do with the bandwidth that it operates on (60Ghz I believe) not being allowed in many territories for these applications or rather restricted for specific use. 
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    Gaby said:

The Basics

Gator, we’ve known each other a long time here. Something I want to know:  What is your relationship to Google? Are you a shareholder in Google or Alphabet? Do you have a business connection to Google or any of their divisions? Does your spouse or any siblings have business connections to Google or any Alphabet divisions?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    gatorguy said:
    Gaby said:

The Basics

Gator, we’ve known each other a long time here. Something I want to know:  What is your relationship to Google? Are you a shareholder in Google or Alphabet? Do you have a business connection to Google or any of their divisions? Does your spouse or any siblings have business connections to Google or any Alphabet divisions?
    No relationship whatsoever. Not even a stockholder. My interest in Google (and in the beginning Microsoft), what's true and what isn't and what's simply opinion, comes from some discussions I had with DED well before I ever heard of AppleInsider. He made a lot of claims then and makes a lot of claims now and generally escaped without challenge. When he finally blocked me from conversing with him on Roughly Drafted  I looked around for other blogs and found him here. 

Since I really try to avoid doing the same and posting stuff that isn't actually true I try my best to spend time on accurate research. The more I did the more I found his explanations and facts sometimes flawed, and factual errors posted by others fairly frequently.

Iif nothing else he forced me to be thorough and accurate and not posting until I felt I was. Other members here made sure of it too. Still do.

The only sources of info I have are the same ones available to everyone here, sourced from an open web. Anyone could find the things I do if they know where to look. 
    edited October 2020 muthuk_vanalingamSpamSandwichctt_zhavon b7jony0
  • Reply 13 of 15
    With each passing generation, Pixel phones seem to become more and more irrelevant than the previous generation. It is really a shame that Google cannot come out with a half decent lineup of smartphones over 4+ years of trying with Pixel brand name and another 5 years with Nexus brand name prior to that.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Gaby said:

The Basics

No relationship whatsoever. Not even a stockholder. My interest in Google (and in the beginning Microsoft), what's true and what isn't and what's simply opinion, comes from some discussions I had with DED well before I ever heard of AppleInsider. He made a lot of claims then and makes a lot of claims now and generally escaped without challenge. When he finally blocked me from conversing with him on Roughly Drafted  I looked around for other blogs and found him here. 

Since I really try to avoid doing the same and posting stuff that isn't actually true I try my best to spend time on accurate research. The more I did the more I found his explanations and facts sometimes flawed, and factual errors posted by others fairly frequently.

Iif nothing else he forced me to be thorough and accurate and not posting until I felt I was. Other members here made sure of it too. Still do.

The only sources of info I have are the same ones available to everyone here, sourced from an open web. Anyone could find the things I do if they know where to look. 
    I can get behind accuracy in reporting, and DED’s opinion pieces were not generally to my liking for all the “rah-rah-rah” content that had little to do with actual reporting.

And I do appreciate it when you post things which have been reported inaccurately, just to be clear. But your posts also have the whiff of advocacy at times, which makes me question why you take on the role of spokesman for Google/Alphabet here on occasion.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Gaby said:

The Basics

I can get behind accuracy in reporting, and DED’s opinion pieces were not generally to my liking for all the “rah-rah-rah” content that had little to do with actual reporting.

And I do appreciate it when you post things which have been reported inaccurately, just to be clear. But your posts also have the whiff of advocacy at times, which makes me question why you take on the role of spokesman for Google/Alphabet here on occasion.
    In fairness I don't see myself as an advocate at all. I don't introduce Google in Apple-specific threads, and never claim them to better at anything than Apple. I don't come in and start talking Google products when the thread isn't about Google products, and never make something up about Apple in order to make Google look good. 

I don't sit back and watch FUD float by, and I wish others were more careful and not empty their garbage containers in the neighbor's yard, but I don't promote Google products here or be the first to introduce them in a discussion either. 

So I'm apparently one of the few who will take the time to see if some claim about Google (and a lot of other things) is actually true just as there are knowledgable others here to jump in and correct misstatements about Apple. 

I guess I serve to fill in the void when others don't and it's not just on Google stuff even if Google is talked about a whole lot here and injected into non-Google threads on a regular basis.  A LOT.  In fact the vast majority of my posts have nothing at all to do with Google if anyone took the time to look, and I don't recall even one written with the purpose of criticizing Apple.

edited October 2020 ctt_zhjony0