Who wants a G5 at MWSF?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Not me! If the G5s come out next month, they will be rushed systems with lots of bugs. I'm hoping for FAST Apollo G4s that Apple keeps around long enough to get the G5s absolutely right the first time. Flame away!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    why would they be rushed and buggy? how could you know that they rushed? you don't know anything.

give me a break.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    gfeier, just leave. We don't need trolls like you who just wanna piss us off.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Give him a break. He is from the shallow end of the gene pool...
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Someone please close this thread!!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 21
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Yeesh! A guy has a right to his opinion! Plus, I'm pretty sure gfeier isn't a troll, right?

Like most of us, I'd love to have G5's at MWSF. unfortunately, I doubt Apple would just hop over the 7460 and skip right to the G5's. Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot, because people will continue to buy PowerMacs whether they have a 1.2GHz G4 or a 1.4GHz G5. Why dump a fantastic chip made just for you for something that may not be quite ready for primetime? Apple will milk the G4 for all it's worth until it is absolutely crucial for a new chip. The G4 is very nice, and if it wasn't for poor scaling, would be a fierce competitor to x86 offerings.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>Yeesh! A guy has a right to his opinion! Plus, I'm pretty sure gfeier isn't a troll, right?

Like most of us, I'd love to have G5's at MWSF. unfortunately, I doubt Apple would just hop over the 7460 and skip right to the G5's. Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot, because people will continue to buy PowerMacs whether they have a 1.2GHz G4 or a 1.4GHz G5. Why dump a fantastic chip made just for you for something that may not be quite ready for primetime? Apple will milk the G4 for all it's worth until it is absolutely crucial for a new chip. The G4 is very nice, and if it wasn't for poor scaling, would be a fierce competitor to x86 offerings.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yawn..

"I doubt Apple would jump over the PPC 750 and the 750cx and the 750cxe and the sahara."

oh wait, they did.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I want a G5! I'm sick and tired of my PB (Pismo 400 w/ 768MB [I'm also tired of LCDs!]).

A G5 with a 1.4 GHz, 1 GIG of RAM, SCSI 160, NVIDIA TwinView, a Sony GDM FW900 monitor... oh sh#t, I'm salivating!!!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    If they used it in the iMac and PowerBook, They wouldn't be passing it over. they would be making excellent use out of it. i think Apple knows; pro's don't care if the processor in their professional workstation is hot and power-hungry as long as it's powerful and fast. Now portables would benefit much more from the 7460 as would consumer users (no fan and less of a dent on the electricity bill).
  • Reply 9 of 21
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>If they used it in the iMac and PowerBook, They wouldn't be passing it over. they would be making excellent use out of it. i think Apple knows; pro's don't care if the processor in their professional workstation is hot and power-hungry as long as it's powerful and fast. Now portables would benefit much more from the 7460 as would consumer users (no fan and less of a dent on the electricity bill).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly. THe G4 will top out just above 1ghz. So drop it from the towers and put it in the iMac and the PB. Those 2 would create enough sales for Moto on the G4 to keep them happy. But why even bother when the G4 is about tapped out by putting them into a tower? G5 is real, the rumor mill is quiet lately, the keynote has been pushed foward....

Steve wants applause and worship again, and the G5 will defiantely give it to him. And an LCD G4 iMac won't hurt either.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Exactly I want a G5 now !!

I do not want a G4 that reaches the end of its too long life, everybody knows that after the Apolo there is nothing exept a new generation of processor.

The G5 must arrive in the professional line now. Apolo will be perfect for the notebooks thanks to its low consumption and heat
  • Reply 11 of 21
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    FWIW, I'm not a troll, just experienced (old). What's worrying me is that OS X - which is all I boot these days - is still a little rough in spots. Add to that a long overdue new motherboard design and Apple will have enough to deal with next month. A G5 on a new motherboard would be asking for trouble. I guess most of you don't remember the Apple III. Damn near killed Apple off.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Apple learned from the AppleIII. the worst they could do is pull a Yikes! and slip the g5 in an old motherboard. Even that's not so bad. It's bad but not as bad as you'd think. But i think Apple won't do that. they must have a card up their sleeve for MWSF. A lot is riding on it.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by gfeier:

<strong>FWIW, I'm not a troll, just experienced (old). What's worrying me is that OS X - which is all I boot these days - is still a little rough in spots. Add to that a long overdue new motherboard design and Apple will have enough to deal with next month. A G5 on a new motherboard would be asking for trouble. I guess most of you don't remember the Apple III. Damn near killed Apple off.</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes, a multi-billion dollar computer company in business for nearly 25 years would never be able to pull of a new motherboard PLUS a new processor without problems

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 21
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

[QB]

yes, a multi-billion dollar computer company in business for nearly 25 years would never be able to pull of a new motherboard PLUS a new processor without problems

QB]<hr></blockquote>

I agree - running OS 9. It's adding OS X to the mix that worries me.

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: gfeier ]</p>
  • Reply 15 of 21
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member

<strong>

I agree - running OS 9. It's adding OS X to the mix that worries me.

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: gfeier ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not entirely sure how that affects the motherboard. My thoughts are these: Apple has had the G5 board done for a long time. I think they may have been almost ready to release it at MWNY. They had the cases ready and went with them. Of course, it is also possible that we are nowhere near having a G5 and Apple plans to update the MB and othe specs at MWSF with faster processors.

Assuming that this pushing forward of the keynote means an extra/more exciting hardware announcement (and I don't KNOW that, but it seems damn likely), then it is plausible that Apple had a default plan for MWSF if the G5 wasn't done....that being the Apollo G4 at higher speeds with a virtually identical board to the planned G5 (excepting whatever changes would be needed for the G5 itself).

That seems very possible to me. If they release a G5, it will be ready. It may have even been close at MWNY as I said. Either way, Apple has probably had the boards done for awhile. Given the history of MOT relations though, they were just waiting to see if MOT could deliver a "finished" product at decent speeds.

No way it will any buggier than anything else they would come out with.

Also, I don't know anything that is ever right "the first time" as you put it.

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 21
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member

<strong>FWIW, I'm not a troll, just experienced (old).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry about the whole troll thing. I wasn't really thinking earlier today when I posted so just ignore that comment.

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: EmAn ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

Sorry about the whole troll thing. I wasn't really thinking earlier today when I posted so just ignore that comment.

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: EmAn ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

no.no. I agree with what you said.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    I would be jumping for joy if a G5 shows up at MWSF.

I just feel it won't happen.

Seybold goes from Feb. 19-22 in New York. Possible.

I doubt MacWorld Tokyo.

MacWorld New York would be it if I were a betting man.

Just being realistic.

Please prove me wrong Apple!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Why would the G4 Apollo not be full of bugs either? It's a completely new design afterall and I'm sure it's being rushed out also if the G5 doesn't make it for MacWorld San Fran.

But say the G5 didn't get released in January. That means Apple would simply play catch up with their G4 Apollo...I'm the the fastest Apollo still wouldn't beat a top of the line PC. Will there being dual-configs? The G5 would then probably be introduced in the Summer of 2002 (unless Apple removes its head out of its ass and starts putting out radically new hardware at times other than MW keynotes)...and by then PCs will have gotten faster so the G5 wouldn't exactly blow away the competition.

In other words, no G5 in January = no way in Hell Apple's gonna appeal to the power/speed hungry Wintel/Lintel crowd that refuse to buy Macs because they offer no speed advantage at a greater price.

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: kim kap sol ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 21
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    [quote](unless Apple removes its head out of its ass and starts putting out radically new hardware at times other than MW keynotes)<hr></blockquote>

The iBook was introduced at an Apple Event, not MacWorld. So was the iPod.

Apple is going that way but for some reason, this MacWorld is shaping up to be one for the ages.

At least I am hoping that.