Apple Pay Express Transit now supported by Japan's PASMO card

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Contactless payment system PASMO recently activated support for Apple Pay and Apple's Express Transit feature, enabling users to utilize a range of public transportation options without unlocking their iPhone or Apple Watch.

PASMO

As detailed in an explainer posted to the PASMO website, the smart IC card can be provisioned and managed in the Wallet app on devices running at least iOS 14 or watchOS 7.

Similar to JR East's Suica transit card, PASMO can be used as a touchless payment option on buses and trains across the country. Users can also buy snacks, drinks and other items at compatible vending machines and certain shops that accept IC cards. Further, PASMO enjoys interoperability with Suica, which gained Apple Pay support in 2016.

In addition to Apple Pay integration that allows card holders to refill PASMO balances within the Wallet app, the payment system supports Apple's Express Transit feature.

When activated in Wallet, Express Transit enables riders to simply tap their iPhone or connected Apple Watch on an active turnstile or payment point to enter train stations and buses without first unlocking the device. The functionality has been adopted by major transit authorities including New York's MTA, the LA Metro, and Washington D.C.'s Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, as well as Hong Kong's Octopus Card.

MacRumors reported the new capability earlier today.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Good, another option for the time when we can visit Japan again.   The last two times we were there we used the Suica on phone or watch and it worked well.  It allowed you to use a credit card at convenience stores that don’t take credit card as Suica  allows you to use Apple Pay to charge up the Suica meaning your attaches credit card. So while in line at the store I could add funds to the Suica and the use Suica to pay.   Hopefully PASMO has the same versatility.    

Normally with a physical Suica (or ICOCA in our case as we usually land in Osaka) you can only use cash to charge them.  
    Dr.MOROwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Man, all the good stuff are from Japan...  :*
    I guess I don't need to flip out (show off?) my special Astro Boy KANSAI ONE PASS ICOCA card anymore.  ;)
    I really really wish the T (MBTA / Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority) here would do the same with the RFID Charlie Card as well and soon.
    Tap iPhone and ride the T!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    chadbag said:
    Good, another option for the time when we can visit Japan again.   The last two times we were there we used the Suica on phone or watch 
    If you have Suica, you have no reason to load PASMO unless you have a commuter pass completely on private train lines.