Reports of overheating Apple Watch SE in South Korea may be local issue

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2020
A number of Apple Watch SE users in South Korea are allegedly reporting overheating issues with their wearable devices, with claims some units are getting hot in use and burning the user's wrist.

An alleged overheating Apple Watch SE in South Korea [via Reddit u/cozyplanes]
An alleged overheating Apple Watch SE in South Korea [via Reddit u/cozyplanes]

Apple introduced the Apple Watch SE as a low-cost entryway to Apple Watch ownership alongside the launch of the Apple Watch Series 6. However, in the case of some users in South Korea, the device is enduring some post-launch teething issues.

A post on Reddit claims there have been multiple instances where the Apple Watch SE has overheated, and either damaged itself or was on the way to cause harm to the user. The post includes six instances between October 10 and October 19 where problems occurred, all taking place in South Korea.

The issues occurred within a few days of using the smartwatch, and seems to be manifesting in a similar way, with roughly identical locations for heat damage on the display. While some discovered the issue when the Apple Watch was left on the charger, others wearing the device found it warmed up while on the wrist, and caused at least one user to suffer a burn on their wrist.

The post speculates that the location of the issue is above where the display connectors are located, between the Taptic Engine and the Digital Crown. The deduction was made by analyzing teardowns of earlier models, as Apple reused designs and components for the Apple Watch SE, and there has yet to be a public teardown of the model.

Of the six cases, the owner got a refund or exchange from Apple in three instances, with a personal response from headquarters supposedly expected within the coming days.

While the reports indicate there could be a problem with the model, it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, as there are no reports found on social media for similar problems, nor reports in AppleInsider's collated Apple service department data. The highly localized issue suggests it may be a faulty production batch at worst, ant not a model-wide problem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    twokatmewtwokatmew Posts: 48unconfirmed, member
    😬 I’ve had my SE for a few weeks now. Fortunately no overheating here so far. 🤞🏻
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Rumors, allegations, claims, six cases and we have a watch-gate brewing. Only Apple, only Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    lkrupp said:
    Rumors, allegations, claims, six cases and we have a watch-gate brewing. Only Apple, only Apple.
    Six cases. One region. Small window. 

Not only Apple, if this had happened to Samsung the media would be all over it. 
    revenantdarkvader
  • Reply 4 of 18
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

If Apple devices had burned down vehicles the way Samsung's exploding phones did, we'd still be hearing about it on a regular basis.
    ronnRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

Baloney, bull excrement, horse excrement. If this had been Samsung we wouldn’t even know about it, not over six cases. iI would be a non-story that no one would report. But you’re here aren’t you, our resident Apple hater who takes every opportunity to spread FUD. And you don't even own or use any Apple products. What’s that all about anyway? Are you that obsessed with the company?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    It is strange. I would have thought the SE was a warmed over version of the series 4/5.

Edit: why only South Korea?
    edited October 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    entropys said:
    It is strange. I would have thought the SE was a warmed over version of the series 4/5.

off the production line and packaged up and put on a pallet. it could have just as easily been in the US, Britain or Australia. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    entropys said:

Warmed over, you say?  
    bageljoeydarkvaderrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Bad batch of batteries. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    entropys said:

Warmed over, you say?  
    Heh heh.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

Baloney, bull excrement, horse excrement. If this had been Samsung we wouldn’t even know about it, not over six cases. iI would be a non-story that no one would report. But you’re here aren’t you, our resident Apple hater who takes every opportunity to spread FUD. And you don't even own or use any Apple products. What’s that all about anyway? Are you that obsessed with the company?
    Reading comprehension issues? Even TMay who frequently has arguments with Avon wouldn't make that claim since we all know that Avon owns Mac. Of course, he does not buy iPhones for himself (switched to Honor phones few years ago) but his wife is using iPhones only. And NO, he doesn't not spread FUD about Apple. He has been supportive of some of the Appie's moves (notch comes to mind immediately) while criticizes other moves. You would know all of these, if you have been paying attention to the actual comments made by him.
    chemengin1revenant
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I really don’t think that the Apple Watch is worth the expense. It’s basically a disposable device. Batteries are a big problem and they then want to charge for the swollen battery to be replaced. Who in their right mind would be prepared to actually pay to repair sub-standard products. This overheating issue is just another example of the ongoing battery problems. It seems Apple is not addressing this poor quality problem at all. It’s a huge pity that they have dropped the ball with this product. Apple quality has always been stellar but the Apple Watch isn’t up to their usual brilliant standards.
    darkvaderJantonelli81
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Do you consider iPhone to be disposable? How is  Watch any different?
    ronnrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

Reading comprehension issues? Even TMay who frequently has arguments with Avon wouldn't make that claim since we all know that Avon owns Mac. Of course, he does not buy iPhones for himself (switched to Honor phones few years ago) but his wife is using iPhones only. And NO, he doesn't not spread FUD about Apple. He has been supportive of some of the Appie's moves (notch comes to mind immediately) while criticizes other moves. You would know all of these, if you have been paying attention to the actual comments made by him.
    Avon b7 is using a very, very old, and deprecated Mac, as is his iPad, so in fact I would say that he is not an Apple customer, and yes, he does spread FUD about Apple, and frequently, especially to point out how at risk Apple is from whatever is happening in China, He has been pushing his bullshit story about Apple being late with 5G, and implies that Apple is losing customers to Huawei without any evidence at all, and if fact, it appears that iPhone customers in China did what everyone else did; they waited for the expected iPhone 12's.

I will state again; Apple is a separate market, for the most part, from the Android OS device market.

Now, it appears, his fave company Huawei is the one at risk, and not from Samsung, but from OPPO and Xiaomi, who will take up Huawei's slack when Huawei runs out of Kirin processors. 

Please do not attempt to speak for me, and for the record, no, the media would not be all over Samsung for a mere six instances of overheating or fires, and likely not a design issue at all.

edited October 2020 ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

Avon b7 is using a very, very old, and deprecated Mac, as is his iPad, so in fact I would say that he is not an Apple customer, and yes, he does spread FUD about Apple, and frequently, especially to point out how at risk Apple is from whatever is happening in China, He has been pushing his bullshit story about Apple being late with 5G, and implies that Apple is losing customers to Huawei without any evidence at all, and if fact, it appears that iPhone customers in China did what everyone else did; they waited for the expected iPhone 12's.

I will state again; Apple is a separate market, for the most part, from the Android OS device market.

Now, it appears, his fave company Huawei is the one at risk, and not from Samsung, but from OPPO and Xiaomi, who will take up Huawei's slack when Huawei runs out of Kirin processors. 

Please do not attempt to speak for me, and for the record, no, the media would not be all over Samsung for a mere six instances of overheating or fires, and likely not a design issue at all.

Well, the only claim for which I took your name was - Avon is NOT an apple customer. You ignored his wife owning iPhones only so far in your argument. I am not going to argue against rest of your post.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

Well, the only claim for which I took your name was - Avon is NOT an apple customer. You ignored his wife owning iPhones only so far in your argument. I am not going to argue against rest of your post.
    Avon is not a customer, his wife is, and paying for that iPhone, does not make him a customer.

Big difference, at least in the West where women are not chattel.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    AndrewV said:
    I really don’t think that the Apple Watch is worth the expense. It’s basically a disposable device. Batteries are a big problem and they then want to charge for the swollen battery to be replaced. Who in their right mind would be prepared to actually pay to repair sub-standard products. This overheating issue is just another example of the ongoing battery problems. It seems Apple is not addressing this poor quality problem at all. It’s a huge pity that they have dropped the ball with this product. Apple quality has always been stellar but the Apple Watch isn’t up to their usual brilliant standards.
    So you think 5-6 years life is too short?  That's my experience and the experience of a few friends I know who have older Apple Watches.

Overheating of 6 x devices - ongoing battery problems?  Hmmm...  Agenda?
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:

Avon is not a customer, his wife is, and paying for that iPhone, does not make him a customer.

Big difference, at least in the West where women are not chattel.
    It's me who purchases and maintains everything. That makes me the customer. 

I am an Apple and Android user. How old my machines are is completely irrelevant. 

Huawei was reaching every single goal it set for itself. It was taking customers away from both Apple and Samsung (along with other  brands). To me that is crystal clear. You can't ask for 'evidence' for something that isn't freely available - to anyone. 

Its problems have nothing to do with Oppo or any other brand. They have everything to do with U.S extraterritorial protectionism. That is all. 

Pure geopolitics. 

https://www.ectaportal.com/news/ecta-press-releases/1306-ecta-warns-against-adverse-consequences-of-a-ban-of-chinese-suppliers-for-eu-welfare-and-5g-deployment

So now, we'll have to wait for U.S technology interests to be slowly removed from much of world technology supply chains (ironically because the US government has proven itself not to be trustworthy) while China accelerates it own plans to fill the market void the US is creating for itself. 

So what has Trump really gained? Not a lot and while the damage has already been done, the impact of it won't appear until after he has long gone. China will ultimately benefit and it will be at a huge cost to US interests. 

At the same time, the EU already had its own plans to increase its technological independence. The extraterritorial actions of the US have simply heightened the need for independence, which is coming. It is just a question of time. 

https://www.european-processor-initiative.eu/

There will be less of a market for the US to bully. 

In the meantime, will Huawei go away? Of course not. 

Will China create its own extraterritorial laws to protect its own, ehem, 'national security'? Well, sadly, it already has! And who could blame them for wanting to give the US a taste of its own medicine? And ironically 'medicine' might be a keyword here. Along with Apple. 

Right now, what happens next is probably wholly dependent on the US election result. 

Whichever way you look at it, the US (and Apple because of reckless US politics) are probably very worried. 

edited October 2020