Molekule's Air Mini+ gets HomeKit support, now available through Apple Store

Posted:
in General Discussion
With the addition of HomeKit to its Air Mini+, Molekule has become the first HomeKit air purifier to be sold through Apple.com and the Apple Store.

Molekule Air Mini+
Molekule Air Mini+

HomeKit arrives as an update for the Air Mini+ and is the first major home automation platform to see integration with a Molekule product. Additionally, this is only the second HomeKit air purifier to come to market, following the VOCOlinc PureFlow.

"The face of today's air pollutants is rapidly changing to include things like toxic chemicals from smoke, in addition to bacteria and airborne viruses. We believe this air pollution challenge needs new and advanced technology," said Jaya Rao, CEO of Molekule. "The expansion of Molekule Air Mini+ to include HomeKit compatibility and availability in Apple stores brings that vision to even more people and enables us to create user experiences that meet the needs of today's consumers."

Molekule is known for its high-end, and gorgeously designed, air purifiers. Air Mini+ works using Molekule's award-winning PECO technology to destroy the widest range of airborne pollutants, including viruses, bacteria, mold, chemicals, and allergens, among others, when compared to conventional air purifiers.

Air Mini+ has an integrated Auto Protect mode, is ideal for up to 250 square feet of space and can be carried with its vegan leather handle. With HomeKit, users will be able to create new automation routines and triggers based on air quality.

The Molekule Air Mini+ is available on Amazon for $499 as well as Apple Stores and .
watto_cobra

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I like the HomeKit compatibility but, man, these things are expensive. Unless the home it’s going into doesn’t have forced hot air (or you don’t own it) I can’t see going this route. At our house we have a whole home air purifier, which obviously covers our whole house, not just 250 sq ft. We have the Aprilaire Model 5000. It costs about $550 and when combined with the right filter it is MERV 16 certified. Currently there is no HK compatibility but there are other solutions (like Netatmo indoor air monitor) that can help out in that regard.
    cg27watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    It is nice to see more products working with HomeKit, but these expensive small filters are probably not the most effective if you look at the performance compared to what can be added to your existing HVAC system. The numbers I saw over on Amazon show a sized air replacement rate of 1 x per hour. Our hospital grade systems where I work exchange the air 6x per hour, so do not let marketing hype make you think you are getting a medical grade system.

With Covid and the fires out west there has been a significant increase in interest  in air filtration for the home - especially units that claim to be able to mitigate airborne viruses. When you compare the cost of equipment, replacement filters, energy use and such between a whole house system and these portable systems, they look very expensive over time. They also tend to not move as much air per hour - very important for filtration - and are usually not as quiet as your central HVAC system.

Not knocking these devices - I have a Vornado in my bedroom - but before you spend a lot of money on these floor standing or bookshelf devices you might want to contact a professional HVAC contractor and compare the price with an upgrade to your existing air conditioning system. You may get better performance and lower operating costs. Also, the filter systems installed in your HVAC can be professionally maintained and repaired. These small devices are essentially throwaways when they are out of warranty.
    cg27watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    I like the HomeKit compatibility but, man, these things are expensive. Unless the home it’s going into doesn’t have forced hot air (or you don’t own it) I can’t see going this route. At our house we have a whole home air purifier, which obviously covers our whole house, not just 250 sq ft. We have the Aprilaire Model 5000. It costs about $550 and when combined with the right filter it is MERV 16 certified. Currently there is no HK compatibility but there are other solutions (like Netatmo indoor air monitor) that can help out in that regard.
    A good air purifier is *always* expensive, but yes. These are for sure on the high end. Without a doubt. It dose look so much more attractive than most though. I like sticking with my BlueAir 211+, a HomeKit air quality sensor, and a HomeKit smart outlet, though that isn’t nearly as effective as this is.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor

davgreg said:
    It is nice to see more products working with HomeKit, but these expensive small filters are probably not the most effective if you look at the performance compared to what can be added to your existing HVAC system. The numbers I saw over on Amazon show a sized air replacement rate of 1 x per hour. Our hospital grade systems where I work exchange the air 6x per hour, so do not let marketing hype make you think you are getting a medical grade system.

With Covid and the fires out west there has been a significant increase in interest  in air filtration for the home - especially units that claim to be able to mitigate airborne viruses. When you compare the cost of equipment, replacement filters, energy use and such between a whole house system and these portable systems, they look very expensive over time. They also tend to not move as much air per hour - very important for filtration - and are usually not as quiet as your central HVAC system.

Not knocking these devices - I have a Vornado in my bedroom - but before you spend a lot of money on these floor standing or bookshelf devices you might want to contact a professional HVAC contractor and compare the price with an upgrade to your existing air conditioning system. You may get better performance and lower operating costs. Also, the filter systems installed in your HVAC can be professionally maintained and repaired. These small devices are essentially throwaways when they are out of warranty.

One of the biggest criticisms of the Molekule line is its slow turnover. It is extremely effective, especially against gasses, but it is absolutely slow. I think in a good environment, these are a solid fit. But there are better, cheaper alternatives. If you are won over by the gorgeous design, slick app, auto-refill of filters, and HomeKit support then go all in!
    davgregwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    One of the biggest criticisms of the Molekule line is its slow turnover. It is extremely effective, especially against gasses, but it is absolutely slow. I think in a good environment, these are a solid fit. But there are better, cheaper alternatives. If you are won over by the gorgeous design, slick app, auto-refill of filters, and HomeKit support then go all in!
    I agree. Not trying to be a killjoy, but these things are often bought by people who buy one of these for each bedroom and a large one for the Family/Living Room and end up spending more money and using more electricity than oil they just bought a whole house filter that can be as high or higher than HEPA. And, like I pointed out, the HVAC install can be maintained and repaired and these things are throwaways.

I do have a floor standing filter in my Bedroom but just as a supplement to the whole house system. A Vornado with HEPA & Charcoal filters with Silverscreen and UV for VOCs, Bacteria and Viruses.

They are very useful for people who travel a lot by allowing them to better control the air quality in a Hotel room.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    I’d be a little leery of Molekule filters after reading the scathing Wirecutter/NY Times review.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    A good air purifier is *always* expensive, but yes. These are for sure on the high end. Without a doubt. It dose look so much more attractive than most though. I like sticking with my BlueAir 211+, a HomeKit air quality sensor, and a HomeKit smart outlet, though that isn’t nearly as effective as this is.
    I'm interested in this and am happy that they added the HomeKit Support.    I expect that HomeKit support should be coming to their two other models soon (at least within a year), so I will wait.  I hope this is will push Dyson to add HomeKit to their fan products.   I know they have an App, but having it on HomeKit is just much more convenient.