Reminder to support our troops.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Even though many of us may be against this war, all of us must make sure any troops involved in this terrible tragedy get our blessings. This is not their fault. We should welcome their participation in the war as their duty to those who have made misfortunate decisions for them. No matter how the war goes we should make sure they are treated as heroes by all when they return.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I agree. Soldiers go to battle due to commands from their superiors and politicians.

As a former soldier, I salute those brave lads who have to stay away form home and encounter dangers in foreign lands!
  • Reply 2 of 74
    matlockmatlock Posts: 44member
    I might get flamed for this, but I disagree.

Becoming a soldier shouldnt force you to blindly accept any order/assignment. If you don't support this war, you should do all you can NOT to fight in it. I admit I don't know how the US Army works, I'm not sure if it is even possible to not go to a war, but it should be allowed.

And the people not supporting this war cannot consider them heroes. They were the initiators of a conflict that in their mind is not legally and/or morally right. Doesn't sound too much like heroes...
  • Reply 3 of 74
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matlock

I might get flamed for this, but I disagree.

Becoming a soldier shouldnt force you to blindly accept any order/assignment. If you don't support this war, you should do all you can NOT to fight in it. I admit I don't know how the US Army works, I'm not sure if it is even possible to not go to a war, but it should be allowed.

And the people not supporting this war cannot consider them heroes. They were the initiators of a conflict that in their mind is not legally and/or morally right. Doesn't sound too much like heroes...

Sorry but the first duty of soldiers is to obey to orders. Of course there is exceptions. The exception is to obey to illegal orders, like rape a girl for example. This war is legal constitutionally and approven by the US governement , deputy and senator, thus the soldiers have to obey to the orders and they have to go to war.

In an another note, not all soldiers who go to war, become automatically an heroe. Heroic actions, are specific acts made by soldiers that go beyond their duties. I think Tonton just meant that they should be honored, because they risk their ass for the countrie.
  • Reply 4 of 74
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I stumbled across a website where one could e-mail support to the troops. I'll try and find it again and post it here if I can. I'd recommend writing a letter to any soldiers you know. Let them know they have support from back home.
  • Reply 5 of 74
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Support our troops, buy them a plane ticket home. If everyone donates a quarter we could fly them all home.
  • Reply 6 of 74
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    hope they return soon and return safe....

my thoughts are with them all...with special thoughts and hopes going out to running's and g'rats relatives...

g
  • Reply 7 of 74
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I hope that as many of our troops as possible return safely, and I am glad they are fighting for a just cause; the freedom of the world.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    I support the war and the soldiers. I'd be interested in emailing them.
  • Reply 9 of 74
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matlock

If a soldier was to not go when ordered, he/she would be Court Marshalled and thrown in military prison. You know what you're getting into when you sign up for the U.S. Military. After that, you ride it out until you have a chance to leave under the terms of your enlistment.
  • Reply 10 of 74
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Why would you support them? They are, after all, willingly carrying out a war you oppose. They're directly responsible for a lot of collateral damage.

Hoping they don't get hurt isn't really the same as support. Are all the anti-war protests going to suddenly stop? I wonder what soldiers' families think when they see huge anti-war rallies on TV...
  • Reply 11 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

If a soldier was to not go when ordered, he/she would be Court Marshalled and thrown in military prison. You know what you're getting into when you sign up for the U.S. Military. After that, you ride it out until you have a chance to leave under the terms of your enlistment.

You should know what you're getting into from the start. Military service is voluntary in this country so saying you're fighting a war you don't believe in because of potential punitive action is illegitimate, IMO. If a soldier really believes in something, he'll take that risk.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I wonder what soldiers' families think when they see huge anti-war rallies on TV...

Well since there are families of soldiers that don't support the war and show up for the anti-war rallies, I'd say that some families are quite pleased by the crowds they see on TV...
  • Reply 13 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Well since there are families of soldiers that don't support the war and show up for the anti-war rallies, I'd say that some families are quite pleased by the crowds they see on TV...

Sure there may be some soldiers who don't like the war, but are too worried about their own personal agenda to do the 'right' thing. But that's not the point. It's just funny to see anti-war lobbyists encouraging people to support the troops.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Here's the deal: it's an all-voluntary force, so you simply don't enlist and go through the process if you harbor any doubts about your ability to a) follow orders b) risk your life c) kill another human d) be killed yourself.

It's that simple.

Granted, options c and d above are probably rare, but still...you don't join the military (their sole purpose to exist is to fight and wage war...kill people and break things, so to speak).

You don't get to question things. You go where told and do what you're told. If you're REALLY against what you're being ordered to do, then be a man and don't do it...and take the heat for it. But don't enlist, thinking it's a four year sign-up for travel, pussy and a paycheck and that you might not be called on to make some pretty major sacrifices.

Perhaps the ultimate one.

The military are going to do their job, and do it well. As they always do. And they'll do it despite Hollywood and college kids saying horrible things about them and their Commander in Chief. Then the majority of them will come home safely and intact and not even ask you for a simple "thank you".
  • Reply 15 of 74
    Anyone think that the Iraqi conscripts should follow the same honour code and obey the orders that they are given?

Who was the US Govt representative responsible for the message to those guys that they should not just follow orders and remember that war crimes trials could follow any action in the Gulf?

Perhaps only our troops should blindly obey orders because only our leaders are infallable. Maybe as we know that we will win, we know we will be the ones conducting any trials afterwards - so it doesn't matter what we do.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Sure there may be some soldiers who don't like the war, but are too worried about their own personal agenda to do the 'right' thing. But that's not the point. It's just funny to see anti-war lobbyists encouraging people to support the troops.

They're just trying to avoid the uncomfortable fact that their anti-war (but pointedly NOT anti-Saddam) protests serve the interests of our troops' enemies and put our troops in greater danger. Saddam was quite explicit in expressing his delight at the widespread anti-war demonstrations a few weeks ago. More demonstrations after the war starts will encourage him, and the die-hards among his troops, that maybe if they kill enough GI's or get enough of their own people killedthey might actually win.

I'm not saying you should all be arrested. Say what you gotta say, it's a free country. But understand that "we support our troops, but..." is a fig leaf that is transparent even to your own subconscious.

Personally, I think that the protests should stop once the bombs start dropping. You did your best, and it was a noble effort, but you failed to convince either your President or a majority of your fellow citizens. At this point, everyone's interests (including the Iraqis) will be best served by a war as brief and bloodless as possible. So take that moral high ground and start protesting for the future of Iraq's new government, rather than against the efforts to depose its current one. Or even better, protest that we don't forget Afghanistan in the middle of all this. We have a long, long way to go in rebuilding that country, and no one seems too eager to spend the money to do it right. Protest that.
  • Reply 17 of 74
    I think I spot anther 'fig-Leaf'....

Quote:

its a free country. But

Should the anti-vietnam protests have stopped, wouldn't the world have been a better place so often if people hadn't just fallen in line, backed their flag and slaughtered the enemy?
  • Reply 18 of 74
    I've been in the Navy now for almost 15 years. Pretty soon I'll be out deployed on an aircraft carrier. People in the military appreciate the support. They really do.
  • Reply 19 of 74
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zarathustra

I think I spot anther 'fig-Leaf'....

Should the anti-vietnam protests have stopped, wouldn't the world have been a better place so often if people hadn't just fallen in line, backed their flag and slaughtered the enemy?

There are consquences for actions, especially in a free country. It's a cliche, but no less true for it, that with freedom comes responsibility.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    Hmm you've confused me little now...

Does the 'responsibility' that comes with freedom include the responsibility to stand up and protest when you believe something to be wrong or should ' the protests should stop once the bombs start dropping.'?

You say that 'you failed to convince either your President' which is obviously true, but add 'or a majority of your fellow citizens', how do you know that, did I miss a referendum or something?

You may be riught, I don't know for sure (I guess you don't either) but neither of us should confuse our conviction that we are right with not being wrong and that's one purpose of protest, to test whats being claimed by presenting alternatives.

Don't get me wrong I certainly do not wish Western troops any harm, but I still think they should not be there in the first place.