Apple researching dual-monitor mounting system for Pro Display XDR

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2022
Apple is working on a new dual-display stand that can mount a pair of Pro Display XDR monitors, a patent application granted on Tuesday suggests.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The Pro Display XDR is a professional monitor for users who need the highest available color accuracy and resolution. Users can opt for a VESA mount or a $999 stand that caused a stir when it was announced in June 2019.

Of course, the issue with that stand is that it only supports a single Pro Display XDR. In a patent application published Dec. 3 by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and granted on June 28, 2022, Apple details a dual display stand presumably meant for the Pro Display XDR or a similar future monitor.

The patent, titled "Dual display stand" details a unobtrusive mounting solution that can provide "vertical, horizontal, and center pivot degrees of freedom for multiple displays."

Apple first notes that existing display stands often come "at the expense of being convenient and natural to use."

"Many require the user to deal with significant friction or hysteresis that makes adjustment difficult, awkward, and time consuming. Such issues impede the stand from having a high quality, satisfying user experience. These issues are compounded when the display stand must support more than one display. There is, therefore, a constant need for improvements to stands and supports for electronic devices," the patent reads.

Additionally, the patent notes that multiple display workplaces often use stands that are unnecessarily large, overly complicated, are aesthetically unpleasing, and have "inefficient redundant mechanisms."

The solution that the patent envisions is a mounting system with a single horizontal bar that a display could attach to. The bar itself, and its bar, could be positioned in a straight or angled configuration. From there, a display mount could provide additional viewing angles through various pivot options.

"A display stand has two spaced apart legs connected by a horizontal support bar that is attachable to multiple displays. Carriage assemblies allow the stand to adjust the vertical position of the displays, shuttles and rails allow the stand to adjust the horizontal positions of the displays, and a central joint on the support bar allows the stand to adjust the angle between the displays," the patent reads.

Much of the patent shares similar design philosophies to another patent application that was published on Thursday titled "Display lift arm."

That patent, filed on the same day as Apple's dual display system, essentially details Apple's existing Pro Display XDR stand, suggesting that Apple has been developing both the currently available stand and a dual-monitor option at the same time. Both patent applications also share much of the same background information.

Although not much different from existing VESA mounting systems, Apple's patent describes a multi-monitor stand that offers the ease of use and adjustability of the existing Pro Display XDR stand.

The patent list Michael E. Leclerc; Brett W. Degner; Danny L. McBroom; David H. Narajowski; Denis H. Endisch; Kristopher P. Laurent; and Simon J. Trivett as inventors. Most of those were also named in the patent application covering the existing Pro Display XDR stand.

Of course, Apple files numerous patents on a weekly basis, so there's no guarantee that an Apple dual-monitor stand is coming and no indication of when it might arrive.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    twice as nice, at twice the price... ;) 
    watto_cobralkruppwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 9
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    mobird said:
    Twice? Gotta be 4x at least!
    edited December 2020 lkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 9
    7 people on the patent?  Did they all materially contribute to the design?

(having gone through the patent process several times, the lawyers asked each person (individually) what they "materially contributed" to the design, and some were taken off the application for "managing the team" and "color of device selection")
    elijahglkruppwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 9
    elijahg said:
    mobird said:

Sounds about right
    Stands $1000 ea qty 2
    Crossbar $2000
    =
    $4000
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 9
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    elijahg said:
    mobird said:

Sounds about right
    Stands $1000 ea qty 2
    Crossbar $2000
    =
    $4000
    Maybe it's hand polished by Cook himself?
    lkrupp
  • Reply 6 of 9
    The innovation never ceases at Apple.

All of my attempts at copyrighting the letter "e" have gone unanswered.  I would only charge 0.000001 cent each time it was used, with this post only costing $0.00000018 each time it was viewed.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Wow!  Some thoughts:
    - The support legs have different identification numbers (102 & 104).  Would it really be that difficult to have them be the same?
    - The idea of reducing adjustment friction is laudable, but too little resistance is equally annoying.  My iMac changes it's pitch at the slightest touch (or breeze it seems) and I am constantly re-adjusting it.  A reasonable amount of friction is good, having a locking mechanism is better.  Rarely do I see people adjusting their desktop monitors once they are correctly positioned.
    - In my opinion, this really should have been designed to allow a variable number of displays to be connected simply by adding additional crossbars with an additional (non-location specific) leg every 'x' number of displays.  This would allow someone to have any number of displays without starting from scratch each time.  With this "stand" you are limited to two display...  I really like 3 displays myself (although two is nice).
    - Without reading the patent (something I am not going to waste my time doing) what is actually patentable about a stand?  A weighted counterbalance?  The center joint?  Jony Ives really did leave his mark on Apple...  and not in a good way.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    For those people who are absolutely made of money.
    For the rest of us, not so much.
    lkruppwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    just design it to use a VESA mount and stop trying to monetise long suffering consumers. At some point they won’t want to be monetised any more.