The UN fights for oil.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've been kicking this idea around for awhile, and I just can't resist after seeing that pitiful display by Chirac, post Bush's keynote (haha).

In 1990, A coalition formed around the US. In 1990 Iraq threatened the world's oil supply to the tune of a few dollars a barrel. Everyone (about 5 months later) got in on the act 'cause the cost of oil was at stake.

In 2002/3, 9-11 threatens the USA. Hasty rhetoric follows, the link between Sadam and 9-11 is tenuous, but intelligence about his future plans for WOMD are probably understated. He is a danger. Bush has handled everything badly, but that's besides the point too.

Let's just for a moment subject the UN (particularly France and Germany) to the same filter everyone wants to point at the USA. Oil.

When oil interests were clearly at stake, they were in 110%. Now that the issue is dictatorship, a murderous regime, the very real intelligence threat of chemical, biological, and (most likely though no one wants to say it) post soviet nuclear know-how, France and Germany are out.

Who really fights for oil?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I think you overstate the importance of oil for either side. Also, France currently has pending contracts with Saddam's regime whose execution depends on the lifting of sanctions. I don't know how much of a motivation this would be for France to try and make sure Saddam stays in power, but it's good to have information.

I've noticed that there aren't a whole lot of anti-war people praising France (at least not that I've seen). To me, that's telling.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Aren't you forgetting something?

How about the fact that Iraq invaded and took over Kuwait? One of the missions of the UN is to prevent things like that from happening.

The coalition was formed to liberate Kuwait.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Who really fights for oil?

Everyone that bases their transport, energy, and industrial infrastructure on it. Basically all the nations on Earth. In the end if someone threatens to weaken or destroy this important aspect of your society, it's a valid reason to go to war. Note that valid?great but nothing about war is great.

Again Matsu, terse analysis that's sure to irk some people here.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Well it definitely will be unpopular because it makes you think harder than "Bush wants oil."

That will definitely piss some folks off.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

In 1990, A coalition formed around the US. In 1990 Iraq threatened the world's oil supply to the tune of a few dollars a barrel. Everyone (about 5 months later) got in on the act 'cause the cost of oil was at stake.

In 2002/3, 9-11 threatens the USA. Hasty rhetoric follows, the link between Sadam and 9-11 is tenuous, but intelligence about his future plans for WOMD are probably understated. He is a danger. Bush has handled everything badly, but that's besides the point too.

When oil interests were clearly at stake, they were in 110%. Now that the issue is dictatorship, a murderous regime, the very real intelligence threat of chemical, biological, and (most likely though no one wants to say it) post soviet nuclear know-how, France and Germany are out.

Your argument is based on falsehoods.

The first Iraq war was to free Kuwait. This second war is to free oil.

Bush's handling of the situation is not beside the point.

France and Germany are not 'out'. If Saddam crossed an international border and voted against taking action then you could say they were 'out'.

The link between Saddam and Osama is not tenuous, it's non-existant.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Which extra oil is Iraq commanding ATM? The same oil they've been dealing for the last decade. They haven't threatened the price of oil, yet, so how can America's war be read as a war for oil?

Kuwait? There are barely more Kuwaitis than there are Kurds. Anyone who believes Gulf War v.I was about Kuwait is being selectively naive.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

They haven't threatened the price of oil, yet, so how can America's war be read as a war for oil?

Kuwait? There are barely more Kuwaitis than there are Kurds. Anyone who believes Gulf War v.I was about Kuwait is being selectively naive.

Saddam having the oil is considered a threat to the oil.

Kuwait? Like I said, if Iraq crossed the border into Kuwait both France and Germany would support action right now. So, how can that be read as a war for oil?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Density???

I wouldn't read either as a war for oil. To read this one as a war for oil will require you to also conclude oil is the major motivator of France and Germany as well.

It's interesting that France now wants to be involved in the rebuilding of post Saddam Iraq. That's very lucrative business, expensive, but lucrative.

You can't really say that either war is a play for oil unless you say they both are, though in different ways.

I hate it when people are intentionally naive. Obviously this is about diplomactic power structures. Now that the US has basically iradicated France's play, the French want to be dealt back in, firstly, by saying that they would join an effort IF Iraq used chemical or biological weapons, and secondly, that they would want a UN resolution for the rebuilding of Iraq. France will want to get back into position with the next regime and that's how they can do it. And they can make a better case for the participation in that re-building if they participate in the war effort, which, if Saddam uses WOMD, they now indicate they will. Don't want the yankees hogging all the best contracts.

So, if you protect a genocidal dictator (as the US has also done, I don't dispute the alterior motives of the US, just want to put some attention on the alterior motives of some other nations)... if you protect a genocidal dictator to protect your trade arrangements, that may not be making war for oil, so much as sustaining oppression for oil. Not so differrent actually.

Please don't keep bringing up Kuwait, it isn't just an inconvience to this more realistic (if cynical) train of thought, it really is an incedental matter. What have we done for the Kurds? No oil, no help. I don't see how you can condemn this war because of oil when if anything the previous gulf war was more about oil than this one. For the UN, (and the US) Kuwait was just a good fortune of semantics.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

You can't really say that either war is a play for oil unless you say they both are, though in different ways.

War was a factor in both. There were mitigating circumstances that precluded the first war though. This war has no substiantial mitigating circumstances.

Wether or not France has economic interests in Iraq doesn't negate the fact that the right course of action for the world is still the right course of action even if it helps their cause. That's coincidence. When the first war occurred, it was beneficial for the US, but that didn't negate the fact that we should have gone in to liberate a country which shall remain nameless.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    So bunge, where was this outcry for peace from France and Russia (or any of you Bush-haters) when Clinton was lobbing missiles into downtown Baghdad 5 years ago? Bush is just an easy target to pick on. This isn't about oil. This is about what's chic in global politics. It's chic to oppose Bush right now.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

So bunge, where was this outcry for peace from France and Russia (or any of you Bush-haters) when Clinton was lobbing missiles into downtown Baghdad 5 years ago? Bush is just an easy target to pick on. This isn't about oil. This is about what's chic in global politics. It's chic to oppose Bush right now.

I suppose it's 'chic to oppose Bush' through no fault of his own? Do we really want to compare lobbing missiles with a full on invasion? Do we really want to compare an administration that was working with the U.N. with one that no longer is willing to do so?

There has been no outcry while Bush has increased the aggression in the No-Fly-Zones either. If it's so 'chic' to bash Bush, why haven't France and Russia been condemning Bush for that?

Because you're wrong in your assertion.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Thank god that we have a government that looks out for the people's oil interests. It would be a horrible shame if I had to pay even more than I already do to tank up my Expedition.

It does get expensive you know, especially since I always drive alone so I have no one to split the costs with. If it means an occasional war on guys in the Middle East so that I only have to pay $35 per fillup instead of $40 then so be it. Those trips add up when you are driving from suburbia all the way to downtown you know.

And I can use that saved money on other worthwhile pursuits like buying pesticides to keep my huge beautiful lawn of grass bug free. Also I can spend that extra dough on worthwhile charitable causes like helping all of the brown people with beards and Qs in their names who have been displaced by their own selfish wars of aggression. It's good to help them out and know that you are doing the right thing sometimes.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    adambadamb Posts: 24member
    You are a bad American!
  • Reply 14 of 21
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Which extra oil is Iraq commanding ATM? The same oil they've been dealing for the last decade. They haven't threatened the price of oil, yet, so how can America's war be read as a war for oil?

If we occupy Iraq won't the other counties basically be buying it from us?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

If we occupy Iraq won't the other counties basically be buying it from us?

That's not the plan.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

That's not the plan.

How can we be sure they will follow through with the " plan "?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

How can we be sure they will follow through with the " plan "?

We can't, but we also can't assume that they will do the opposite of what they say.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

We can't, but we also can't assume that they will do the opposite of what they say.

I agree 100%.

Saddam says he gave up all of the WMD, and we just can't say he's did the opposite of that. We can't assume he not only still has them, but that he's been able to make more while being sanctioned.

Sometimes I get the feeling that the hawks don't really understand what they're saying when they speak.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I suppose it's 'chic to oppose Bush' through no fault of his own? Do we really want to compare lobbing missiles with a full on invasion? Do we really want to compare an administration that was working with the U.N. with one that no longer is willing to do so?

There has been no outcry while Bush has increased the aggression in the No-Fly-Zones either. If it's so 'chic' to bash Bush, why haven't France and Russia been condemning Bush for that?

A full invasion is more meaningful than firing a few missiles.

"Aggression" in the no-fly zone? Is that like aggressive in-line skating?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

A full invasion is more meaningful than firing a few missiles.

Exactly. Thus, it is subject to greater scrutiny and held to a higher standard. One Clinton surpassed, but Bush has not.

Quote:

"Aggression" in the no-fly zone? Is that like aggressive in-line skating?

Yes, and I hear it's going to be in the next Olympics too.