Good bye iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The traditional iMac is gone this morning.

Yes, Yes, the computer that saved Apple is no longer available to order on the AppleStore.

I wonder if I should buy one for collection.

This is a sad tuesday announcement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    it is still available at the apple edu store for 749....g
  • Reply 2 of 7
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I gave my Biondi Blue iMac to my nephew a year ago. People forget that when it came out it didn't sell very well. Not until the candy-colored versions came out did the CRT iMac take off in sales and spawned colorful translucent do-dads such as toothbrushes, radios, irons, ad nauseum.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Crap. Does this mean that the cheapest Mac you can buy (without being in education) is $999?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

I gave my Biondi Blue iMac to my nephew a year ago. People forget that when it came out it didn't sell very well.

You might wanna read those sales figures again. There's a reason it saved Apple and made pre-orders shoot through the roof.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spotcatbug

Crap. Does this mean that the cheapest Mac you can buy (without being in education) is $999?

For now.

If anything, it's good news, since the old iMac was hardly worth $799, and it was only really selling to edu institutions anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Now if we can just get the iBooks up to G4s we would be completely rid of the G3s

...which makes way for.....*EDITED BY APPLE LEGAL*
  • Reply 7 of 7
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    *cracks knuckles*

My first vB thread lock. Oh, the excitement of it all.

It's borderline, but I really want to lock a thread on the new boards, and technically the G3 iMac isn't Current Hardware now that it's off the Apple Store page.

(yeah, Edu still, but most of us can't get at it)

Since I'm such a swell guy, I'll provide a nice little link here so you can shoot over to the other thread. No need having 2 of them going here.

RIP iMac G3 (1998-2003)