New Firefox 84.0 update adds native Apple Silicon support

Posted:
in General Discussion
Version 84.0 of Mozilla's Firefox web browser has been released, bringing with it native support for Apple Silicon M1 -- and also announcing that it's the last version which will support Flash.

Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla Firefox

Following its praising of Apple for iOS 14 security, Mozilla has released Firefox version 84.0 for macOS Big Sur, and Apple Silicon M1.

"Native support for macOS devices built with Apple Silicon CPUs brings dramatic performance improvements over the non-native build that was shipped in Firefox 83," says Mozilla in a statement. "Firefox launches over 2.5 times faster and web apps are now twice as responsive (per the SpeedoMeter 2.0 test)."

"WebRender rolls out to MacOS Big Sur," it continues. "Additionally we'll ship an accelerated rendering pipeline for Linux/GNOME/X11 users for the first time, ever!

Even with the support for Apple Silicon, Firefox 84.0's recommended hardware remains a Mac with an Intel processor. Firefox 84.0 is also available for Windows and Linux. Mozilla notes, though, that, "Firefox 84 is the final release to support Adobe Flash."

Firefox 84.0 can be downloaded from the official site. Mozilla notes that, "we kept our schedule to release a new Firefox every month" in 2020, despite the coronavirus. Its January 2020 update was one that fixed a bug so severe that the Department of Homeland Security advised updating to it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    It's kind of Gold rush. Race to run Apps natively on M1 to take advantage of higher M1 performance,longer battery life,etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So when Apple said most developers would only need a couple of clicks to update their apps for native Asi they weren’t kidding. M365, Firefox, Quicken, iMazing, the transition seems to be chugging along nicely.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    wood1208 said:
    It's kind of Gold rush. Race to run Apps natively on M1 to take advantage of higher M1 performance,longer battery life,etc.
    Yeah, really is.
    lkrupp said:
    So when Apple said most developers would only need a couple of clicks to update their apps for native Asi they weren’t kidding. M365, Firefox, Quicken, iMazing, the transition seems to be chugging along nicely.
    It's not their first rodeo (I know you know that); 100% agree though. Their 'secret' roadmaps which lots of people complain about really allow them to take the time (most of the time) to delivery something and make it look easy. As others have pointed out, 3rd huge and successful transition (68K -> PPC -> Intel -> ARM/ASi). Who else has done it and done it so well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    After updating to firefox 84.0, I get in about:support at the User Agent line — ... „Intel Mac OS X 11.1“ ... 
    I am not so sure, firefox already uploaded the Apple Silicon version yet...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    merkc said:
    After updating to firefox 84.0, I get in about:support at the User Agent line — ... „Intel Mac OS X 11.1“ ... 
    I am not so sure, firefox already uploaded the Apple Silicon version yet...
    That may be the result of just “ticking the box and recompiling”.

Just updated my Intel install of Firefox and ran lipo -i on the binary. Shows that it includes x86_64 and arm64.

it’s in there.
    edited December 2020 watto_cobra