LoopRumors - 10.3 Due this Fall

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
From LoopRumors.com:

It appears that Apple is going to upgrade MacOS X to version 10.3 codenamed "Panther," the next major revision of its operating system, this Fall. Improvements are said to be as follows:

System-wide metal interface

Support for 64-Bit architecture

QuickTime 6.5

iChat 2.0 with videoconferencing capabilities

Final Safari release 1.0 GM

Updated iApps (possible inclusion of iWorks?)

Enhanced Dock features

Overall system speed enhancements

Optimized for the new systems

We'll keep you informed of any new developments and information we receive as it becomes available.

-----------------------

Obviously I think the one item catching everyone's eye here is "System-Wide Metal Interface". Is today April Fool's Day??? Wow, that really stands out as being blatantly wrong. Have you noticed how hard it is to read the text on the tabs in Safari due to the metal interface?? Guh.

-----------------

RosettaStoned

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    My bullshitometer just blew up!

Next they'll be telling us that 10.4's default theme is Platinum...
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Seems like "Fall" is a little soon as well considering that 10.2.5 is just now hitting developers and probably won't be public until late April.

Plus the list of 10.3 features looks rather underwhelming considering half of the mentioned bullets are applications rather than system features.

I think the soonest we'll see 10.3 will be winter unless it's a "free" download that is required for the 970.

The metal doesn't really bother me but I can't imagine that this is the best UI look that Apple can create.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    I like brushed metal, I find it much better than the washy white/gray pinstripe.

I'd be happy to have the OS use it, although I admit it should be a preference and not the default.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by robster

I like brushed metal, I find it much better than the washy white/gray pinstripe.

I'd be happy to have the OS use it, although I admit it should be a preference and not the default.

The Brushed Metal prediction is by far the most controversial item there. Everything else is all pretty predictable.

I have trouble seeing a move to all Textured/Brushed Metal as early as 10.3, though. Only 20-30% of Mac users are using OS X; it seems odd for Apple to revise the OS look so dramatically before even a majority of people have used OS X.

So it seems entirely possible that Apple will leave Aqua alone, with only minor refreshments.

At the same time, there's a growing chorus of people who love Aqua, but are intrigued by the simpler, unified look of Textured (despite the helter-skelter way in which it's applied), and are growing more than a little weary of the pinstripes. Also, the way Apple is throwing Brushed Metal on nearly every one of their recent apps almost certainly points to a growing preference for Textured at Apple.

So I've no idea, really. I wonder if they instead might update Aqua to kind of "Aqua Titanium", with some of the more progressive features of Brushed Metal (dynamic gradient, increased simplicity, easier window dragging), and tone down or even replace use of the pinstripes with the crystal look (the highly glossy white used in Safari and other iApps' buttons).
  • Reply 5 of 23
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    It would be bad. Imagine if the menu bar was brushed, your windows were brushed...it would be very had to know what window in what Applicationyou are in. I had this issue with Safari, iCal, iTunes and CheckBook being open at the same time
  • Reply 6 of 23
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I imagine that if metal were the new standard appearance, or an appearance choice, they would make it look more like QT 6.1 and its lack of "brushed" texture and just silvery with a center highlight. We shall see...
  • Reply 7 of 23
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    Please Apple KEEP AQUA,, it's the best GUI out there, i like the Brushed metal, but dont make it the System GUI, just kep it for the iApps.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Very low "signal to noise" ratio here.

Although I do wonder if "Textured Windows" render faster in OSX because the OS isn't compositing Windows on top of each other.

More info please.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Although I do wonder if "Textured Windows" render faster in OSX because the OS isn't compositing Windows on top of each other.

More info please.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this post. Textured windows are "rendered" the exact same way as regular windows with the exception of the added gradient. As far as window layering goes, they're all double-buffered like any other normal windows. Therefore it is safe to assume that textured windows are more CPU-intensive (albeit only by a small amount) to create and manipulate textured windows than the Aqua windows.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    I'm not sure what they mean about Final Safari 1.0, either. The current Safari Beta expires, right? I wouldn't count Safari 1.0 as a feature of 10.3 unless it's exclusive to 10.3. That would mean Apple plans on getting people to upgrade OS X itself just to get the final version of Safari? Naw..
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

I'm not sure what they mean about Final Safari 1.0, either. The current Safari Beta expires, right? I wouldn't count Safari 1.0 as a feature of 10.3 unless it's exclusive to 10.3. That would mean Apple plans on getting people to upgrade OS X itself just to get the final version of Safari? Naw..

Ah, but there's a gap between Those Who Follow Apple's Every Wee Move and Those Who Don't. Thus, (intone in prophetic voice) just as QuickTime 6 was included as a feature of Jaguar, even though it was freely downloadable well before Jag's release, so will the GM version of Safari be listed as a feature of Panther.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this post. Textured windows are "rendered" the exact same way as regular windows with the exception of the added gradient. As far as window layering goes, they're all double-buffered like any other normal windows. Therefore it is safe to assume that textured windows are more CPU-intensive (albeit only by a small amount) to create and manipulate textured windows than the Aqua windows.

Sort of OT here, but Brad, might you have any idea why -- if Safari is using your standard, normal 10.2 Textured window -- closing a Safari window that's tiled behind your current window (by its widget) will cause the current window to flicker?

It's just a beta, of course... but I love the ability to click-through to another window, and the flicker is like a disturbing ripple in space, reminding me I'm in the Matrix.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Estevan2737

Seems like "Fall" is a little soon as well considering that 10.2.5 is just now hitting developers and probably won't be public until late April.

Plus the list of 10.3 features looks rather underwhelming considering half of the mentioned bullets are applications rather than system features.

I think the soonest we'll see 10.3 will be winter unless it's a "free" download that is required for the 970.

The metal doesn't really bother me but I can't imagine that this is the best UI look that Apple can create.

Why does that matter? It's not like they're holding off working on 10.3 until 10.2.5 is out the door. In fact, I imagine many more resources are currently going into 10.3 than 10.2.5
  • Reply 14 of 23
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Why does that matter? It's not like they're holding off working on 10.3 until 10.2.5 is out the door. In fact, I imagine many more resources are currently going into 10.3 than 10.2.5

I know that when I was at Apple, 10.01 or whatever the point release was at the time, my team started testing it a couple weeks before Chetah was shipping.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    One problem I've noticed with the Textured window interface is the lack of Toolbars. You'll notice that any application that natively uses brushed metal has a customizable toolbar. Also, if you've ever played around and turned Aqua apps into textured ones, you'll notice that the toolbar in brushed metal looks odd and is hard to read.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

My point was simply that I would expect that 10.3 will need some time during which it is being distributed to developers for testing and that hasn't occurred yet. WWDC isn't until May so if that is the point where it becomes "beta" for developers it doesn't seem like much time to get it out for Fall. Admittedly...a weak point.

Anyway...the list of features listed by LoopRumors isn't very earth shaking and I expect 10.3 will be a bit more exciting.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Estevan2737

My point was simply that I would expect that 10.3 will need some time during which it is being distributed to developers for testing and that hasn't occurred yet. WWDC isn't until May so if that is the point where it becomes "beta" for developers it doesn't seem like much time to get it out for Fall. Admittedly...a weak point.

yes, a weak point. since that was EXACTLY the situation with Jaguar. demoed for developers at WWDC, shipped in fall.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

yes, a weak point. since that was EXACTLY the situation with Jaguar. demoed for developers at WWDC, shipped in fall.

Actually, Jaguar shipped in the Summer. Wasn't it August 20 or something around there?

If 10.3 doesn't ship until "Fall" you would have to assume it will be more mature than Jaguar was out of the box.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    10.3 would need more functions that those reported by Looprumors for me to fork out my money.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Sort of OT here, but Brad, might you have any idea why -- if Safari is using your standard, normal 10.2 Textured window -- closing a Safari window that's tiled behind your current window (by its widget) will cause the current window to flicker?

Flicker? Do you mean that it brings the rear window to the front before closing it?

If so, that is (unfortunately) the standard behavior for all metal apps. Just try it is QuickTime Player (although it still "fakes" the metal), Calculator, iSync, or Address Book. If a window is in the background and you click a widget, it brings the window to the front before performing the operation.

This behavior is inconsistent and annoying. I encourage you to file a feedback report on Apple's site expressing your discontent with it.