Dell's $2,100 UltraSharp 40 connects over Thunderbolt 3 with 90W power delivery

Posted:
in General Discussion
Dell's UltraSharp 40 is a display that could be coveted by many Mac users, with the 40-inch ultrawide curved screen offering Thunderbolt 3 connectivity to go with its high $2,100 price tag.

Dell UltraSharp 40
Dell UltraSharp 40

Unveiled for CES, the Dell UltraSharp 40 U4021QW is a large display, and is claimed to be the first 40-inch ultrawide curved 5K2K monitor on the market. Offering a resolution of 5,120x2,160, the 5K screen offers a pixel density of 104ppi and an aspect ratio of 21:9, and a curvature of 2,500R.

As a premium display, Dell is going after the creative market with the screen, as it has 100% color coverage of sRGB and Rec. 709, and 98% of the DCI-P3 color space. This makes it ideal for users in the field of photo and video editing, with it also boasting 10-bit imaging capabilities, a 5ms response time in "fast mode," and a 60Hz refresh rate.

The built-in ComfortView Plus is a wellness feature that reduces the amount of blue light that is emitted from the display, while maintaining its color accuracy.

The standard connectivity options include one DisplayPort 1.4 connection, two HDMI 2.0 ports, and Thunderbolt 3 with 90 watts of power delivery. It also has four 10Gbps USB Type-A ports including one with fast charging, with its built-in KVM feature enabling two computers to be connected and for peripherals to switch which device they are connected to.

An Ethernet connection is also included for physical networking, and internal 9-watt speakers accompany a headphone socket.

The Dell UltraSharp 40 Curved WUHD Monitor will be available globally from January 28, priced at $2,100. A Dell product page is not yet available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Why, oh why did Apple leave the display market? The XDR doesn’t count as it is a purely professional reference monitor priced accordingly. If Apple can make a car why can’t they make a consumer level 5K display? I would much rather have a well designed display with the Apple logo on it than a Dell, no matter attractive it is. An Apple 5K display priced in the range of a tricked out Mini would take off... in my useless personal opinion.
    viclauyycentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lkrupp said:
    Why, oh why did Apple leave the display market? The XDR doesn’t count as it is a purely professional reference monitor priced accordingly. If Apple can make a car why can’t they make a consumer level 5K display? I would much rather have a well designed display with the Apple logo on it than a Dell, no matter attractive it is. An Apple 5K display priced in the range of a tricked out Mini would take off... in my useless personal opinion.
    I agree & we can say they same thing about the router market.

If Apple had added Siri into the Airport Express and then Airport Express capability into the HomePod, they would have kept a good chunk of the router and smart speaker market and as the Airport Express and Extreme have become obsolete it's really hard finding a simple easy to set up router solution, which picks up all the apple devices automagically and extends the network range easily.

Dell do make a good monitor though. I've bought Dell monitors for 25 years, they're alway rock solid, highly adjustable, accurate and sometimes attractive :-)
    I recently needed to replace a pair to Dell 27" which I used with my old 2013 MBP when I upgraded to MBP 2019. I bought the 34" LG 5K2K monitor about 9 months ago. I really like the LG, but I would have waited for Dell if I knew they were going to bring out a curved 40" version.

I've never been able to justify buying an Apple monitor in all my time with Macs :-( so I hear you. It would be the first choice for most of us if there is a similarly priced or even a bit more than the rest of the market.

That too is my useless personal opinion
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Wish apple still made monitors and routers. They just worked.
    Same thoughts on dell monitors. As a rule they are pretty good especially the ultrasharp range.
    Not sure about this one though. The ‘5K’ is all about the width and truth to tell the resolution on this thing  is nothing to get excited about. 104 ppi! Appalling. I would say no.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Yeah, technically it may be 5K, but with that low 104 dpi it's really pseudo-5K .
    Not what I'd want for a couple of grand.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    neilm said:
    Yeah, technically it may be 5K, but with that low 104 dpi it's really pseudo-5K .
    Not what I'd want for a couple of grand.
    It's 5K.  Resolution has nothing to do with density.