Apple TV+ original 'Servant' reportedly doubles audience with Season 2 premiere

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2021
The second season of M. Night Shyamalan's "Servant" drew record numbers when it premiered on Apple TV+ last week, reportedly coming close to viewership enjoyed by standout hits "Defending Jacob" and "Ted Lasso."

Servant

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Deadline reports the Season 2 premiere of "Servant" more than doubled the show's audience year over year. Further, Apple released only one episode on Jan. 15, as compared to the three it issued when the series launched last year.

Increased domestic viewer numbers were bolstered by year-on-year audience growth in France, Mexico and Spain, the report said.

High interest in Season 2 is boosting viewership of Season 1. According to sources, viewing of the first 10 episodes grew more than five times last week when compared to an average of the trailing six months. Those figures include both existing Apple TV+ subscribers who rewatched the first season and new users who are catching up on the story.

One of the first high-profile Apple TV+ releases, "Servant" is a psychological thriller that tells the story of a couple who suffered the tragic loss of their baby son, and have taken to caring for a doll in his place. The show stars Lauren Ambrose, Rupert Grint, Nell Tiger Free, and Toby Kebbell.

Shyamalan discussed the show in a recent interview, saying Apple has been "super supportive" of the production. Apple renewed "Servant" for a third season in December.

AppleInsider reviewed the first episode and found that, while still visually appealing and creepy, the show's plot is wearing thin.

The second episode of Season 2 will begin streaming on Jan. 22 .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    waiting for the episodes of season 2 to pile up before i marathon. season 1 was really good. 
    JaiOh81lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Night Shyamalan's work gives me cinematic blue-balls. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    How would Deadline know what kind of audience share Apple TV+ shows are getting? Answer: They don’t unless someone at Apple is telling them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Its a great series... Love it... done great and engaging and mysterious! 
    as litoloop suggested... let them pile up and then do your marathon... 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    To secure season 3 - I heard M. Night promised Tim Cook the missing baby would be played by Oprah Winfrey.
    mobirdSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Had trouble finding it, the season drop down in TV app on Mac doesn't allow changing the season, clicking season 2 does nothing at all:

• Reply 7 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    Had trouble finding it, the season drop down in TV app on Mac doesn't allow changing the season, clicking season 2 does nothing at all:

Just tested, it works on my TV app on an iMac.
    watto_cobra