Apple now selling AirPods Max ear cushions separately

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Apple is now selling standalone AirPods Max ear cushions on its online store with an estimated delivery date within a couple of days.

Those looking to snag a replacement or additional pair of AirPods Max ear cushions will be able to buy a pair for $69, according to a new listing on the Apple web store.

While they're currently being touted as "coming soon," the delivery estimator shows a delivery date of January 29 at the earliest. As of publication, that's a two-day turnaround time.

It was recently reported that Apple wouldn't be covering the AirPods Max ear cushions under the Apple Care warranty. Should a user need to have their AirPods Max repaired, Apple instructs the user to remove the AirPods Max ear cushions before sending the unit in for repair.

AppleInsider recently reviewed the AirPods Max, noting that while they sounded great, the $550 price tag didn't quite live up to our expectations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    If I'd bought the Air Pods Max (which I didn't since I'm waiting for version 2 with an on/off switch and/or a better case) I'd probably snag some of these just to swap out for aesthetics.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Great, now I can get cushions and wear them under my hat until I get my AirPods Max sometime in March... 😂
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    hmlongco said:
    If I'd bought the Air Pods Max (which I didn't since I'm waiting for version 2 with an on/off switch and/or a better case) I'd probably snag some of these just to swap out for aesthetics.
    Better case? Maybe. 
    On/off switch? When did you last see a pair of headphones with an on/off switch?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    hucom2000 said:
    Great, now I can get cushions and wear them under my hat until I get my AirPods Max sometime in March... 😂
    As I type this, Amazon has both the silver and space gray in stock. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Rayz2016 said:
    hmlongco said:
    Better case? Maybe. 
    On/off switch? When did you last see a pair of headphones with an on/off switch?
    I have no idea which headphones you use, but the Sony WH-1000XM4 (which I have, and think is great) as well as the Bose 700 -- both generally considered very credible competitors to the APM -- have on/off switches. You may want to check that out yourself.
    edited January 2021 CloudTalkinmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I'd imagine any BT headphones or headphones with active noise cancellation would have an On/Off switch.

Outside of either of those features, sure, why an On/Off switch.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Rayz2016 said:
    hmlongco said:
    Better case? Maybe. 
    I understand people's concern about the on/off switch and it struck me as odd as well. That said, when you think about it, Apple has just made that a software function. It knows when they are in use and when they aren't so it can go into low power automatically. So the concern just isn't relevant. It reminds me of when the iPhone was first released and people were concerned because there was no physical airplane mode button and they didn't trust the software one. It's the same thing here, people will just get used to this being handled via software rather than hardware. Until then, brace yourself for much handwringing about the on/off.