1ghz iMac modem not working correctly

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
As of yesterday my modem suddenly stopped working correctly.

It dials out and tries to connect but then disconnects telling there's been a modem error or it can't communicate properly.

I get the same messages whether I set the modem script to Apple Internal 56k (v.90) or (v.92), but if I set it to (v.34) it connects just fine - albeit pretty slowly (no more than 33600bps).

Any suggestions much appreciated. I'm really hoping this isn't a 'back-to-base' problem.

Paul.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Don't fret too much, mine does this frequently.

Usually drops first connection after 1 minute and subsequent connection is OK after that.

What service provider are you using? Which price plan are you on?

Usually your SP will tell you to set internal modem to "Apple Internal 56k Modem (v.34)" to save on bandwidth ( therefore only 33600bps).

Try ticking "Enable error correction and compression in modem" in Modem settings.

Tick "Dialing" as Tone and "Wait for dial tone before dialing".

In PPP click PPP Options and tick "Send PPP echo packets" and "Use TCP header compression"

May help also to check that any "Call Waiting" option on your line is switched off while your surfing and check that you have any messages deleted on the providers answerphone facility (1571) as the intermittent dial tone on connect can confuse the modem.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MiMac

Don't fret too much, mine does this frequently.

Usually drops first connection after 1 minute and subsequent connection is OK after that.

What service provider are you using? Which price plan are you on?

Usually your SP will tell you to set internal modem to "Apple Internal 56k Modem (v.34)" to save on bandwidth ( therefore only 33600bps).

Try ticking "Enable error correction and compression in modem" in Modem settings.

Tick "Dialing" as Tone and "Wait for dial tone before dialing".

In PPP click PPP Options and tick "Send PPP echo packets" and "Use TCP header compression"

May help also to check that any "Call Waiting" option on your line is switched off while your surfing and check that you have any messages deleted on the providers answerphone facility (1571) as the intermittent dial tone on connect can confuse the modem.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice.

Paul.