Apple increases credit for returning DTK to $500 following developer outcry

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Apple has increased its offer to developers holding on to its Developer Transition Kit for returning the units, providing $500 of Apple credit instead of the original offer of $200.

On Wednesday, Apple told developers it was soon "time to return" the DTK, hardware it provided to help developers update their apps to work with Apple Silicon. In a new email sent late on Friday, Apple is attempting to sweeten the deal to encourage more developers to switch their hardware over.

The original offer provided developers with a $200 credit for the App Store, which could be used to acquire an M1 Mac of the developer's choice. The codes would have been provided on receipt of the returned DTK units, and would have needed to be redeemed by May 31, 2021.

The update email seen by AppleInsider again thanks developers for taking part in the Universal App Quick Start program, before offering better compensation for developers taking part. Instead of a $500 credit that expires in May, Apple will provide a $500 credit, which can be redeemed by "the end of the year."

In the event the developer has already acquired a new M1 Mac, the credit can also be used to purchase any Apple products the developer wants.

The change in stance is also referenced early on, with Apple claiming "We heard your feedback." Shortly after the original announcement of the credit, developers complained on social media about the low value on offer, in that it doesn't even cover a third of the cost of the cheapest M1 Mac mini.

The DTK was leased to participants of its Apple Developer Program for $500, in that it was hardware that Apple retained the ownership of, and that it had to be returned eventually. Developers also had access to beta software and tools to create Universal apps, developer labs, private forums, developer resources, and technical support.

The full email to developers follows:
Thanks again for participating in the Universal App Quick Start Program.

We heard your feedback regarding the 200 USD appreciation credit mentioned in our last email. Our intention was to recognize the tremendous effort that you have put into creating amazing universal apps. By partnering with us early, you showed your commitment to our platform and a willingness to be trailblazers.

So instead of the 200 USD credit that expires in May, we are giving you a 500 USD Apple credit and extending the time you can use it to get a new M1 Mac through the end of the year. If you already purchased a new M1 Mac, the Apple credit gives you the flexibility to purchase any Apple product to help with your app development work.

We'll share details soon about how to ship the Developer Transition Kit (DTK) back to Apple. Note that the DTK will no longer receive publicly available software updates after macOS Big Sur 11.2. We encourage you to return it as soon as possible so that your development work is not interrupted. And once you return the DTK, you'll receive your Apple credit.

Thank you again for making the Mac with M1 launch such a great success.

Best regards,

Apple Developer Relations

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Who makes these decisions at Apple? What idiot thought offering $200 for the return of those $500 kits would not create outrage and controversy? Did that same idiot actually think developers, Apple’s life blood, would take it up the wazoo and be glad about it? In my opinion Apple should have offered those kits to legitimate developers free of charge. And Apple’s backdown after the controversy isn’t good optics either. Stupidity on display.
    indieshackp-dogelijahgMplsPmacplusplusmuthuk_vanalingamapplguydysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Good move, Apple. That's a pretty amazing turnabout!
    narwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 48
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Apple should have offered DTK at lower price and let them keep it. Not sure what Apple will do with returned DTK unless rip off processor,memory,etc from it and use in Macbooks products because of component shortages.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    lkrupp said:
    Who makes these decisions at Apple? What idiot thought offering $200 for the return of those $500 kits would not create outrage and controversy? Did that same idiot actually think developers, Apple’s life blood, would take it up the wazoo and be glad about it? In my opinion Apple should have offered those kits to legitimate developers free of charge. And Apple’s backdown after the controversy isn’t good optics either. Stupidity on display.
    It was at the very least a PR mistake.
    narwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 48
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    wood1208 said:
    Apple should have offered DTK at lower price and let them keep it. Not sure what Apple will do with returned DTK unless rip off processor,memory,etc from it and use in Macbooks products because of component shortages.
    The DTKs were leased equipment, not purchases. In all likelihood, the lease payments are fully tax deductible business expenses for companies who run their development as a business and not a hobby. 

I do realize that in the current mindset of universal entitlement, anything that goes against one’s personal wishes and desires, regardless of anything else, is viewed as an offensive move by an overlord. This lease program was setup by Apple under the expectation of it being adults dealing with other adults at a business level. 

Apple knew, going in, that they needed to get these DTKs back, for whatever reason, and structured the terms and conditions of the business arrangement to increase the likelihood that lessees would return Apple’s property to them under the terms that were stipulated in the agreement. Apple has not deviated in the slightest amount from following through on their part of the agreement. They are trying to be adults.

Hey, I like extra cheddar as much as the next guy, but it does bother me that a great number of people in our society, all the way up to the highest levels of power, are basically children stuffed into adult sized bodies. Anything they don’t like is instantly viewed as a personal affront and categorically labeled as an offense, and of course, they’re now the victim. Business agreements and keeping your word don’t seem to matter. If I’m not happy, it must be wrong. 

I guess I’ll blame it all on us, the Baby Boomer generation, who have never quite gotten past the “Baby” part of our generational contribution. Now we’re sadly passing it along to subsequent generations who know how to weaponize “whining at scale” across the social media mobosphere until they get their way. It’s nice that Apple, as an indulgent parent, is letting junior have extra cookies just to shut him up, but it’s also a sad commentary on where we are as dysfunctional semi-adults. 
    ukrunromar moralesacejax805stompymacplusplusroakeflyingdpjdb8167macguibageljoey
  • Reply 6 of 48
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    dewme said:
    wood1208 said:
    The DTKs were leased equipment, not purchases. In all likelihood, the lease payments are fully tax deductible business expenses for companies who run their development as a business and not a hobby. 

I do realize that in the current mindset of universal entitlement, anything that goes against one’s personal wishes and desires, regardless of anything else, is viewed as an offensive move by an overlord. This lease program was setup by Apple under the expectation of it being adults dealing with other adults at a business level. 

Apple knew, going in, that they needed to get these DTKs back, for whatever reason, and structured the terms and conditions of the business arrangement to increase the likelihood that lessees would return Apple’s property to them under the terms that were stipulated in the agreement. Apple has not deviated in the slightest amount from following through on their part of the agreement. They are trying to be adults.

Hey, I like extra cheddar as much as the next guy, but it does bother me that a great number of people in our society, all the way up to the highest levels of power, are basically children stuffed into adult sized bodies. Anything they don’t like is instantly viewed as a personal affront and categorically labeled as an offense, and of course, they’re now the victim. Business agreements and keeping your word don’t seem to matter. If I’m not happy, it must be wrong. 

I guess I’ll blame it all on us, the Baby Boomer generation, who have never quite gotten past the “Baby” part of our generational contribution. Now we’re sadly passing it along to subsequent generations who know how to weaponize “whining at scale” across the social media mobosphere until they get their way. It’s nice that Apple, as an indulgent parent, is letting junior have extra cookies just to shut him up, but it’s also a sad commentary on where we are as dysfunctional semi-adults. 
    Of course it can never be a mistake by someone at Apple. Never. Apparently.
    CloudTalkinnarwhal
  • Reply 7 of 48
    I don't get it.  These developers LEASED it for $500, agreeing to the requirement to return the hardware.   Apple shouldn't have had to give a credit to get it back.  If anything, there should have been a penalty for NOT returning it.
    dewmeukrunromar moralesfahlmanflyingdpbloggerblogmaclin3anonconformistFidonet127martinp13
  • Reply 8 of 48
    dewme said:
    “whining at scale” across the social media mobosphere until they get their way.
    You're in the minority in thinking this since Apple has sided with those of us who considered this a cheap shot from the Developer unit.
    But that's quite a Saturday morning diatribe against Baby Boomers!

elijahgCloudTalkin
  • Reply 9 of 48
    so the votes been taken? I agree with dewme, a lease agreement was made, conditions were clear, and developers have overreached on what they feel they're entitled to. dewme's point was made after the 1st 2 paragraphs, the rest was a little repetitive.
    JWSCflyingdpjdb8167bloggerblogmaclin3Fidonet127martinp13watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 48
    dewme said:
    “whining at scale” across the social media mobosphere until they get their way.
    You're in the minority in thinking this since Apple has sided with those of us who considered this a cheap shot from the Developer unit.
    But that's quite a Saturday morning diatribe against Baby Boomers!

I am not a “baby boomer” and I still agrees with he’s statement.

Some developers are acting really childish and entitled not at as professional individuals. Not caring about terms of contracts an throwing a tantrum.

I don’t know others but at least I have moved from “I am happy to support developers”  to “I will not give them any more money” I am tired of listening to their shallow whines on podcasts, blogs and lawsuits. 

What to be treated like professional act like it. 

JWSCflyingdpFidonet127kurai_kageEsquireCatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 48
    dewme said:
    wood1208 said:

Could the devs have a legit issue?  The lease was supposed to be for 12 months.  Devs got at most, 7 months with the DTK.  I say at most because anecdotes say the DTK became increasingly unusable,  replacements were slow in coming (if at all), and communication from Apple with the devs was poor.  Now did Apple, according to you, not deviate in the slightest from following through on their part of the agreement or were they somewhat derelict in their administration of the program as claimed by some devs? I'd guess it's probably somewhere in the middle.  Seems less about entitlement and more about a failure to meet expectations.    

Now one could say Apple offered the $200 as a thank you and an acknowledgement that there were issues with the program.  That would be a fair assessment imo, but to put an arbitrary time limit on the use of the money made no sense and was not a good look.  It's also fair to say, Apple didn't have to do anything.  They absolutely didn't.  But to hold that opinion one would have to ignore the precedent already set by Apple with the DTK in the conversion from PowerPC to Intel.  Mind you that was done when Apple was nowhere near as large and profitable as they are today.  To go from "here's a free Mac for helping us with the transition" to "here's a time sensitive $200 credit towards a Mac for doing the same thing"... no lie, I might feel some type of way too.  Especially if the program didn't exactly run smoothly. 
    Regardless, Apple made the situation whole in a way that satisfies all concerns.  
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 48
    Instead of a $500 credit that expires in May, Apple will provide a $500 credit, which can be redeemed by "the end of the year."

$200
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 48
    fede777 said:
    Instead of a $500 credit that expires in May, Apple will provide a $500 credit, which can be redeemed by "the end of the year."

$200
    ?
  • Reply 14 of 48
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    1) I wish Apple didn't give into these babies since it just makes them complain more, but whatever. Their company they can make their own rules. Unfortunately it's the same crybaby nonsense like when Apple dropped the price of the original iPhone, but people who willingly bought one in 4GB and for the original price complained when Apple dropped the 4GB model and reduced the price by $200 when prices started waning too soon.

2) The biggest complaint wasn't the amount, but that you had to return it BEFORE getting your credit for a new Mac, which many so-called developers saying "but then I won't have a Mac in which to code blah blah blah." I wonder if they'll still complain about that knowing the DTK is effectively free of charge.
    omar moralesmacguiEsquireCatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Self-entitled adults (in age only). 
    JWSComar moralesEsquireCatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 48
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    fede777 said:

$200
    ?
    Should read “instead of a $200 credit that expires in May...”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 48
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member

lkrupp said:
    I completely agree. A strong developer community is vital to the Mac ecosystem. The transition to Apple Silicon, while necessary, created extra work and headaches for developers. Those that paid for the developer kits did a service to Apple and users not just by developing their software but by also finding issues with the architecture. 

Consider what Apple was asking developers to do - $500 isn’t inordinately expensive but the ‘full’ M1 mini can be purchased for $700. Apple was asking developers to pay $500 so they could use an underpowered, not fully developed machine to re-write their code so native versions would be available when the final devices were available. Essentially, “pay us money to do more work on a half-baked computer because we changed the architecture.”

A $500 credit is far more reasonable. You reward the people who worked to help you by letting them trade in the device for a full version that they can use for at least 2-3 years and Apple gets the sale (and profits) of the new computer.
    elijahgindieshack
  • Reply 18 of 48
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I suspect that many of these self-identified developers are more like tinkerers than serious developers running a business.  Honestly, $500 is nothing for a real business, even a small one.

Having said that, it exhibits belated goodwill on Apple’s part to show their support for the small guy/gal who may be struggling to get a foothold in the software market in these times of severe economic distress, especially when Apple just reported a ginormous quarter with record revenue and profits.
    dewmeStrangeDaysEsquireCatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 48
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    dewme said:
    wood1208 said:
    The DTKs were leased equipment,...
    I do realize that in the current mindset of universal entitlement, anything that goes against one’s personal wishes and desires, regardless of anything else, is viewed as an offensive move by an overlord. ...
    Apple knew, going in, that they needed to get these DTKs back,...

Anything they don’t like is instantly viewed as a personal affront and categorically labeled as an offense, and of course, they’re now the victim. Business agreements and keeping your word don’t seem to matter. If I’m not happy, it must be wrong. 

You make some valid points, but Apple could have done better.
    I'm definitely not saying Devs / commentators are completely right.

Mistakes that are 100% on Devs (and commentators) 
    1. Many lesees assumed this DTK program would closely resemble the Intel DTK program, even down to getting a voucher equal to (or greater than!) the cost of the lease.
    2. Many lesees are unaware of the hefty fees Apple Developers paid in 2005 in order to qualify for the ability to lease a DTK. These fees quite literally offset some DTK / voucher expense.
    3. Potential lesees that don't believe the stated cost is worth the perceived benefit should not enter into said lease.

Mistakes that are 100% on Apple
    A. Lease should have spelled out that if Apple requested early return of DTK, a refund or voucher, say, equal to x/365 * $500 would be provided, where x = days Dev had the box. 
    B. Credit should be available prior to return of DTK. (refund to credit card on file, once DTK returned)
    C. Voucher/credit should expire when the original lease would have ended.

Hindsight should be applied by all parties.
    edited February 2021 martinp13muthuk_vanalingamkurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 48
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    stompy said:
    dewme said:
    wood1208 said:
    The DTKs were leased equipment,...
    I do realize that in the current mindset of universal entitlement, anything that goes against one’s personal wishes and desires, regardless of anything else, is viewed as an offensive move by an overlord. ...
    Apple knew, going in, that they needed to get these DTKs back,...

Anything they don’t like is instantly viewed as a personal affront and categorically labeled as an offense, and of course, they’re now the victim. Business agreements and keeping your word don’t seem to matter. If I’m not happy, it must be wrong. 

You make some valid points, but Apple could have done better.
    I'm definitely not saying Devs / commentators are completely right.

Mistakes that are 100% on Devs (and commentators) 
    1. Many lesees assumed this DTK program would cloely resemble the Intel DTK program, even down to getting a voucher equal to (or greater than!) the cost of the lease.
    2. Many lesees are unaware of the hefty fees Apple Developers paid in 2005 in order to qualify for the ability to lease a DTK. These fees quite literally offset some DTK / voucher expense.
    3. Potential lesees that don't believe the stated cost is worth the perceived benefit should not enter into said lease.

Mistakes that are 100% on Apple
    A. Lease should have spelled out that if Apple requested early return of DTK, a refund or voucher, say, equal to x/365 * $500 would be provided, where x = days Dev had the box. 
    B. Credit should be available prior to return of DTK. (refund to credit card on file, once DTK returned)
    C. Voucher/credit should expire when the original lease would have ended.

Hindsight should be applied by all parties.
    They did spell out the lease. Everyone who received the DTK agreed to the lease. Apple has no requirement to give developers that want a jump on Apple Silicon extra cash so they can buy a new Mac once the lease is revoked. 
    macguianonconformistmartinp13StrangeDayskurai_kagewatto_cobra