Intel targets M1 weaknesses in 'You're not on a Mac' ad campaign

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2021
Days after Intel released a series of benchmarks to back up claims that its chips are better performers than Apple's M1, the company on Thursday pressed the issue by launching an ad campaign listing features that are exclusive to Windows PCs.

Intel

Published to Intel's official Twitter account, the "Go PC" ad push currently consists of two posts and a sponsored YouTube video highlighting class exclusive capabilities offered by Intel hardware. The company specifically calls out Apple's Mac, an interesting turn of events considering Apple, long a PC industry underdog, did the same with its famous "I'm a Mac" series in the early 2000s.

In one ad, Intel points out Macs are unable to play certain games like Rocket League, an important point for buyers looking to use their computer as an entertainment console. Another notes Mac does not support a tablet mode with stylus input and touchscreen support. No mention of iPad is made.

A link in both embedded ads leads to a lengthy sponsored video from tech YouTuber Jon Rettinger, who breaks down why Intel Evo laptops might be a better fit for some users than a comparable M1 Mac.

"If you're looking for a good laptop in 2021, there are many things to consider, but processor choice might be more important than you think," a description on Rettinger's video reads. "You might be considering Apple's new M1-based laptops, but before you hit the buy button, let me show you what Intel's new Evo laptops can offer you!"

In the overview, Rettinger touts the 13.3" ASUS ZenBook Flip S, Razer Book, Razer Core X, CalDigit Thunderbolt Dock and Samsung T7 Portable SSD, some of which are compatible with existing Mac hardware.

Intel last week released a series of cherry-picked benchmark tests designed to illustrate the prowess of its chip designs over Apple's new M1 silicon for Mac. The chipmaker selected a number of data points that seemingly showed the M1 fall short when completing tasks in a number of popular apps including Adobe Creative Cloud and Handbrake. Mac's lack of gaming support was also noted, with Intel confusingly listing unsupported games at zero frames per second on Apple's platform.

With Intel in a dominant position -- at least for now -- in the chipmaking industry, the new ad campaign perhaps does less to promote its products than demonstrate how threatened the company feels by Apple's in-house ARM designs. Early tests in November suggested M1 outclassed nearly all Intel-powered Macs currently offered by Apple. The Cupertino tech giant plans to migrate its entire Mac line to Apple Silicon within two years.

Today's ad push also comes on the heels of a letter Intel, Qualcomm, Micron, and AMD sent to President Joe Biden requesting "substantial funding for incentives for semiconductor manufacturing" be included as part of the administration's economic recovery plans. Apple chip supplier TSMC, meanwhile, is rapidly expanding thanks in large part to orders for A-series and, now, M1 silicon production.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 126
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    They sure don’t realize what’s coming next, don’t they?
    d_2KTRargonautlongpathbadmonkStrangeDaysplastico23Beatsjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 126
    Resorting to stats.
    Stats are always for losers.
    People can see that.
    -Haiku

pujones1badmonkStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 126
    I guess Intel is feeling threatened. Lol. 

At least the shill made some money. Hey how much for your soul homie? 
    longpathcaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 126
    pujones1 said:
    I guess Intel is feeling threatened. Lol. 

At least the shill made some money. Hey how much for your soul homie? 
    Probably still underestimated their opponents.  They could well prepare as early as 2018 or even before then.  Instead we got endless 14nm with numerous flaws.

Ignorant for sure.

The upcoming A15 will upgrade the architecture to ARMv9, what’s gonna for Alder Lake?  “20% vs. Skylake” still not enough especially you’re talking 2x or 3x the power.
    edited February 2021 pujones1longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 126
    Isn't it a basic rule that you punch up not down when adverting? When you are trying to argue that you are as good or better than something  you are admitting that the something is the thing to beat. So they are reinforcing the fact/perception that Apple is the chip designer to beat.

A side note on Appleinsider's position on Intel:

Appleinsder describing Intel on Jan 15th 2021:
     The previously dominant processor giant is slipping into obscurity fast"

Appleinsider describing Intel on Feb 11th 2021:
    "
    With Intel in a dominant position -- at least for now -- in the chipmaking industry"

According to AI, Intel's position in the world has improved dramatically in the last month. 

edited February 2021
  • Reply 6 of 126
    Photoshop doesn’t have thumbnails to flip through. Do they mean Lightroom? Duh.
    retrogustolongpathStrangeDaysmknelsonBeatsuraharajony0lollivercitylightsapplewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 126
    Isn't it a basic rule that you punch up not down when adverting? When you are trying to argue that you are as good or better than something  you are admitting that the something is the thing to beat. So they are reinforcing the fact/perception that Apple is the chip designer to beat.

“ The previously dominant processor giant is slipping into obscurity fast"

"With Intel in a dominant position -- at least for now -- in the chipmaking industry"

According to AI, Intel's position in the world has improved dramatically in the last month. 

Well are they?
    Anyone with proper knowledge about processors are going to buy it?
    If you just said “x86 got a better environment” as a processor company, you might just say nothing at all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 126
    “If you can only differentiate from your competitors by pointing out very specific features of other companys’ software to avoid general comparisons to your own outclassed hardware, you aren’t Apple.”

retrogustobaconstanghydrogenargonautlongpathtwokatmewfred1macbear01lkruppStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 126
    DuhSesame said:

"With Intel in a dominant position -- at least for now -- in the chipmaking industry"

Well are they?
    If you just said “x86 got a better environment” as a processor company, you might just say nothing at all.
    No clue where you going with that or what it had to do with my comment. 
  • Reply 10 of 126
    I run compute-intensive jobs on my 1 yo Intel MBP sometimes. The machine gets too hot to keep on my lap and the fan kicks in at full blast and the battery starts dropping precipitously. 

On my M1 Air I get nearly 30% more throughput, no fan, no heat, no drama. And I get practically an all-day battery. 

There’s just no contest. 

But then CISC lost the RISC-CISC wars back in the early 90’s. Intel just didn’t get the memo. 

Looks like they still don’t get it. 

Marketing hype can’t beat real performance forever. Eventually hype runs out of gas. 

To wit: MSFT finally learned that lesson after pretending for years that they had a real OS while they were getting slaughtered by Linux in the server market. 

mwhiteargonauttmayBeatsjony0lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 126
    DuhSesame said:

Well are they?
    No clue where you going with that or what it had to do with my comment. 
    There’s no “punch up not down” for them at all.  The better way to do right now is shut up and build better processors.
    narwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 126
    M1 is for low end Macs. They’re comparing their best against the low end of the bar. Better work harder Intel. Apple silicon is packing in new things annually. That puck is ever moving.
    Beatsjony0lollivernarwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 126
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Strange. 

The ads go with an aggressive, pushy tone that doesn’t mention the chips. Instead, they go with the idea that a generic PC is better than a Mac. Presumably they’re including AMD machines in this PC soup. 

Sounds like they’ve thrown in the towel on performance and are going to focus on the touted advantages of PCs (the lack of a touch screen on the a Mac is nothing to do with it no longer having an Intel chip)
    edited February 2021 maclin3pembrokeargonautwilliamlondonchiablastdoorTRAGtwokatmewBeatsjony0
  • Reply 14 of 126
    If you've been watching videos on your unplugged computer for 19 hours, you're not on a PC. 
    mwhitehydrogenargonautchialongpathtwokatmewtzeshanStrangeDaysBeatstokyojimu
  • Reply 15 of 126
    Apple's "I'm a Mac" commercials were made because Apple genuinely believed it had a better product than the Windows PCs. 
    Intel's Go PC ads come from a place of fear and desperation. 

20 years from now, I'll still get a kick watching the "I'm a Mac" ads. 

Anyway, with a slow HP machine and a Surface Pro which has a bulging screen, I wouldn't touch a PC with a 10 foot pole right now. I'd rather install Windows on a Mac. 
    mwhiteJWSClongpathtwokatmewright_said_fredBeatsjony0firelockwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 126
    KTRKTR Posts: 278member
    Days after Intel released a series of benchmarks to back up claims that its chips are better performers than Apple's M1, the company on Thursday pressed the issue by launching an ad campaign listing features that are exclusive to Windows PCs.

Intel

Published to Intel's official Twitter account, the "Go PC" ad push currently consists of two posts and a sponsored YouTube video highlighting class exclusive capabilities offered by Intel hardware. The company specifically calls out Apple's Mac, an interesting turn of events considering Apple, long a PC industry underdog, did the same with its famous "I'm a Mac" series in the early 2000s.

In one ad, Intel points out Macs are unable to play certain games like Rocket League, an important point for buyers looking to use their computer as an entertainment console. Another notes Mac does not support a tablet mode with stylus input and touchscreen support. No mention of iPad is made.

A link in both embedded ads leads to a lengthy sponsored video from tech YouTuber Jon Rettinger, who breaks down why Intel Evo laptops might be a better fit for some users than a comparable M1 Mac.

"If you're looking for a good laptop in 2021, there are many things to consider, but processor choice might be more important than you think," a description on Rettinger's video reads. "You might be considering Apple's new M1-based laptops, but before you hit the buy button, let me show you what Intel's new Evo laptops can offer you!"

In the overview, Rettinger touts the 13.3" ASUS ZenBook Flip S, Razer Book, Razer Core X, CalDigit Thunderbolt Dock and Samsung T7 Portable SSD, some of which are compatible with existing Mac hardware.

Intel last week released a series of cherry-picked benchmark tests designed to illustrate the prowess of its chip designs over Apple's new M1 silicon for Mac. The chipmaker selected a number of data points that seemingly showed the M1 fall short when completing tasks in a number of popular apps including Adobe Creative Cloud and Handbrake. Mac's lack of gaming support was also noted, with Intel confusingly listing unsupported games at zero frames per second on Apple's platform.

With Intel in a dominant position -- at least for now -- in the chipmaking industry, the new ad campaign perhaps does less to promote its products than demonstrate how threatened the company feels by Apple's in-house ARM designs. Early tests in November suggested M1 outclassed nearly all Intel-powered Macs currently offered by Apple. The Cupertino tech giant plans to migrate its entire Mac line to Apple Silicon within two years.

Today's ad push also comes on the heels of a letter Intel, Qualcomm, Micron, and AMD sent to President Joe Biden requesting "substantial funding for incentives for semiconductor manufacturing" be included as part of the administration's economic recovery plans. Apple chip supplier TSMC, meanwhile, is rapidly expanding thanks in large part to orders for A-series and, now, M1 silicon production
    Interesting how they didn't mentioned that you can run smartphone software on an intel base pc.  At least this is something is POSSIBLE on a M1 mac.  Guess someone should go on intel home pare and mentioned this lol
    longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 126
    KTRKTR Posts: 278member
    I wonder if they will run this Ad on TV?

• Reply 18 of 126
    Resorting to stats.
    Stats are always for losers.
    People can see that.
    -Haiku

Apple’s pages are full of stats. Does that make them losers too?
    tzeshanGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 126
    Wow, Intel really wants to burn that bridge with Apple. 
    williamlondonchiatwokatmewBeatstokyojimuuraharajony0citylightsapplenarwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 126
    It baffles me why Intel is targeting Apple. They have little competition from Apple. It's not like most PC buyers are now going to switch to a Mac. What a waste of money. I'd say the consumer market is the least of Intel's problems.
    muthuk_vanalingamargonautchiabulk001jony0Oferrandominternetpersonnarwhalwatto_cobra