Google updates Gmail for iOS with widgets and privacy 'nutrition' label

Posted:
in General Discussion
After going months without an update, Google's Gmail app for iOS was refreshed on Monday with support for widgets. More importantly, the revision delivered long-awaited information regarding the app's collection of user data.

Gmail Privacy Label

The latest version of Gmail integrates support for widgets in iOS 14, allowing users to quickly access recent mail directly from their home screen.

It has been nearly three months since Google last updated its email app, arguably one of its most important titles on iOS. The delay was thought to be in response to a recently adopted App Store feature that requires developers to provide insight into how their apps leverage user data.

Apple's app privacy labels that rolled out in December call on app makers to divulge what data is being collected by either itself or a third party, and how that information might be used. Similar to past App Store policies, apps are allowed to remain on the storefront without publishing the privacy labels, though the new rules go into effect when updates are submitted.

According to Google's release, Gmail collects and potentially links users to general information like search history, location, contact information, purchases, usage data and other metrics. The disclosure is rather staid in comparison to labels provided by other big tech names like Facebook.

Google was said to be skirting the rules by refusing to update its apps. The search giant refuted those claims in January, saying it planned to release updates with the requisite "nutrition" labels in a couple weeks. That timeline was apparently too optimistic, as major titles sat idle for months.

Earlier in February, Gmail was left sitting so long that Google's own servers pushed out a message warning users that the app did not include the company's most up-to-date safeguards. "You should update this app. The version you're using doesn't include the latest security features to keep you protected. Only continue if you understand this," the pop-up read. Google quickly removed the alert in a server-side change.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    I’m not trying to be snarky here, this is a legitimate question on my part. Can anyone explain why GMail has so many “may be collected” points compared to Apple Mail? Why would purchase info be collected, for instance?

For reference, here’s what Apple Mail says:

doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

I’m not trying to be snarky here, this is a legitimate question on my part. Can anyone explain why GMail has so many “may be collected” points compared to Apple Mail? Why would purchase info be collected, for instance?

Google offers more categories and surfacing your purchases for you, "Receipts",  is one of them. It's a convenience for me at least, an easy way of locating records of purchases.
    edited February 2021 xyzzy01michelb76
  • Reply 3 of 16
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,256member

Data Linked to You:

Anything we can get

Much simpler this way.

BTW, Safari's Privacy Report shows me that AppleInsider has 40 active trackers. What's up with that?

edited February 2021 williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    hexclock said:
    BTW, Safari's Privacy Report shows me that AppleInsider has 40 active trackers. What's up with that?
    I don't know the answer, but I'll guess that any website can provide space for even just ONE ad, and there could be 40 trackers inside that single ad. AppleInsider's web servers are not serving out that ad data, so they never see the ad's HTML source. It's completely normal for a single web page to fetch data from other web servers for certain frames in their rendered result.

So technically then you (possibly) can't blame AI (directly) for this problem, if the ads being served are coming from other web servers.
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    hexclock said:

I believe I can answer that for you.

Because AppleInsider would like to continue to exist, despite the fact that you (the collective you, not you individually) block their ads and refuse subscriptions. Real people work there (I'm not one of them, let me be clear on that) and deserve to be paid for the work they do. That requires that the site makes money in some manner.

muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16

Two things here:

1) There is a large difference between "apple mail the app" and "gmail the service". Apple's mail is just an interface to mail services, gmail's nutrition info covers the service as well. Thus, Apple's mail using the Gmail service would end up pretty much the same in what data Google gets.

2) Google does a lot of useful stuff with your email - e.g. it will identify and categorise receipts so you can easily find them later. It will also find things like airline tickets, other things with set times (cinema tickets, for pre-covid times) etc and help you track all of these, updates etc.

Of course, it doesn't use all of this info just to help you, it's also to be able to sell you for a higher price.

williamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Great, so we can put this non-issue to bed.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 16

When Google and Facebook went on their respective missions to unify the privacy policy across all of their services into one big "catch all" document, they claimed this was to make it easier for the user to understand the information they collect. In reality these documents are filled with vague information and huge levels of misdirection. The result is that the user is now blind to what each service is actually collecting. The unified policy was a tactic to hide what each app was doing - Apple's privacy labels attempt to undo a lot of the privacy damage that this caused.

For example Google's privacy policy lists "purchase activity", in a list of information which they "may" collect. A casual reader has no concept which app is collecting this information or with what detail. A person is likely to assume incorrectly that this just means purchase history on their Play Store, the reality is that it includes scanning your emails for every single transaction you've made online and building that into your personal profile, it also includes any website that utilises Google's services such as analytics.

Apple's privacy labels undo the effect of these unified privacy policies - since the developer isn't keen for every app to list an absurdly long list of privacy admissions, instead users get a clearer picture about what each individual app is truly collecting.

Since the web is filled with sites that utilise Google's services (either through ad placement, analytics, etc) Google is constantly keeping a profile of what you do on the web, where and when, even if you don't personally utilise any Google services - you are almost certainly interacting with someone who does - including this website.
    JaiOh81beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    michelb76 said:
    Great, so we can put this non-issue to bed.
    It's a "non-issue" now only because they finally updated the app.  The fact that they were intentionally delaying updates was certainly not a non-issue.
    edited February 2021 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    chasm said:
    hexclock said:

Because AppleInsider would like to continue to exist, despite the fact that you (the collective you, not you individually) block their ads and refuse subscriptions. Real people work there (I'm not one of them, let me be clear on that) and deserve to be paid for the work they do. That requires that the site makes money in some manner.
    Ads and trackers are two different things. I implemented DoubleClick's web ads two decades ago on major websites and we never used trackers. Nobody did. Now they do. They don't have to tho, and that's the point of end-users taking control back of their own browsers and privacy. If real-life advertisers tried to install trackers on your person the way online advertisers do, you'd freak out.
    edited February 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 11 of 16
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,256member
    chasm said:
    hexclock said:

Yeah, I get all that. It’s just funny because of all the articles about Google tracking this, and Facebook tracking that. I always appreciate irony. As far as earning a living, AI seems to do alright making a cut from click-thrus to sponsors of products they advertise. 
    Don’t get me wrong... I hope they make a nice living, which I think they do. 

edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    gatorguy said:

Google offers more categories and surfacing your purchases for you, "Receipts",  is one of them. It's a convenience for me at least, an easy way of locating records of purchases.
    Of course, they could do this type of categorization without tying the results to your identity.  I personally just have my own email folders which I sort/filter things into, but I agree that automation would be nicer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    chasm said:

Note, though, that there are other ways of making money besides advertising. I can't say I've got it all worked out, but I think we've become too dependent on thinking the way to monetize things is to go the ad-route. For example, there are a number of podcasts now that have adopted the 'value for value' model (probably coined by No Agenda?) and are doing OK... maybe not rich, but making a nice living. Zero ads, or even sponsors. They just ask to be given back value for the value they provide from their audience.

Would that work for a site like Apple Insider? I can't say, but it's something to ponder.

StrangeDays said:
    Ads and trackers are two different things. I implemented DoubleClick's web ads two decades ago on major websites and we never used trackers. Nobody did. Now they do. They don't have to tho, and that's the point of end-users taking control back of their own browsers and privacy. If real-life advertisers tried to install trackers on your person the way online advertisers do, you'd freak out.
    No doubt! People have been advertising for centuries, but trackers are a relatively new thing, at least in the way it has been implemented and the extent of it. I think they'll also eventually discover that all that extra data isn't doing nearly as much for them as they think it is (in terms of ad effectiveness... I'm sure they can do a lot of *other* stuff with all that data, like sell it to 3-letter agencies that have gobs of money to spend).

Again, people (advertisers in this case) need to start to think outside the box, but I suppose that would take actual work. For example, I'd put a well-positioned ad-campaign or sponsorship on the right podcasts up against the best of anything from Facebook or Google. It would blow their performance away. But, the ad-exec would have to actually do real research into picking the right podcasts to do their ad-spend with.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I think I'm going to have to find an alternative to Gmail for some of my email accounts... I've been considering that for some time, but this kind of tipped me over the edge.

Also, be sure to comb though your settings after this update. There are new 'Smart features and personalization' stuff you might want to disable. I also turned off that new 'Meet' functionality, which made it go away on the bottom bar (and the bar went away).
  • Reply 15 of 16
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    chasm said:
    hexclock said:

Wow, I didn't even know AppleInsider had subscriptions, and I've been reading it since, well, 22july2013. I just checked, it does! And it's rather inexpensive. I'm likely to get it now.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    22july2013 said:
    Wow, I didn't even know AppleInsider had subscriptions, and I've been reading it since, well, 22july2013. I just checked, it does! And it's rather inexpensive. I'm likely to get it now.
    Huh, what?!