Uh oh, iBook hard drive dying?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Twice in the last ten minutes, my iBook has made a disturbingly loud hollow clank sound from the hard drive, as if it's spinning down very quickly. It's really not that loud but it seems like it compared to the iBook's ultra-quiet operation. I shut down the iBook and I'm using my PC to post this. Any idea what's going on? Is it the sign of a dying hard drive?

Also, to clarify, the first time it happened was while I was holding it, unplugged. The second time was just after I put it down and plugged it in. I dunno if the pressure my hands put on it caused the hard drive spin-down to sound strange or what, but I sure am worried. Tonight I think I'll back up all my important files, and tomorrow I'll call Apple's tech support to find out if I should get my HD replaced or it it's just some sort of fluke.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    still experiencing it?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Nope I've only heard it those two times, however I haven't run my iBook much since it happened. Now I'm backing everything up to CDs before having Apple look at it. I don't want the hard drive dying on me, and I need to fix a problem with the CD tray anyway. I may as well get it fixed as long as it's in warranty.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    otherwise if you need it backed up PM me and you can just bring it to my office, i've got a few HD's you could borrow to store your stuff on, and an IDE to firewire converter.

takes 10 min. to back up entire drives.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Twice in the last ten minutes, my iBook has made a disturbingly loud hollow clank sound from the hard drive, as if it's spinning down very quickly. It's really not that loud but it seems like it compared to the iBook's ultra-quiet operation. I shut down the iBook and I'm using my PC to post this. Any idea what's going on? Is it the sign of a dying hard drive?

My Dual USB started doing this a few months ago, with the noise you're talking about (it had an upgraded 40GB drive). I think the computer must have gotten hot, or I jarred it, or both. I shut it down, and let it cool for a while.

The noise went away after a couple of days (but I backed everything up, just in case). It was okay for a few weeks, and then the noise would come back once in a while. I bought a 60GB from OWC just in case, and use the 40GB as a back up.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

otherwise if you need it backed up PM me and you can just bring it to my office, i've got a few HD's you could borrow to store your stuff on, and an IDE to firewire converter.

takes 10 min. to back up entire drives.

Thanks for the offer but I've already burned a total of 14 CDs backing up all my data. That's not counting the nine MP3 CDs I made a few months ago backing up all my music at the time. I'm going to reformat it and bring it to Team Electronics tomorrow. I figure it already needed one part serviced in a non-urgent way, why not use this opportunity to both bring it in and make a full backup of my system? Now I don't have to worry about ****ing anything up!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    i get this quite a lot. i also experience it on non-apple hardware.

i think it's to do with heat. last summer, i was lucky to be teleworking from my terrace here in the centre of Rome. both my iBook and my peecee laptop were clunking away every few minutes in the heat of the season. i was VERY concerned at the time but here they both are months later without giving up on me.

it's an ugly noise that makes me wince everytime i hear it. but seemingly harmless.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Luca: I thought that those clunking noises were the head returning to its resting position after reading or writing. Didn't we discuss the clunking noises extensively when the Dual USB iBooks first started shipping? IMO, as lungaretta said, the clunking noise is completely harmless.

In any case, regular backups are essential, regardless of whether you think your hardware is about to fail or will last forever. Regular backups should be a no-brainer. Luckily, I've never lost any essential data. But I've heard too many horror stories. My VST FireLite 2.5" FireWire drive has been one of my best investments in that respect.

Escher
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Okay, well I suppose I'm glad to hear that it's probably not a problem. Although it wasn't hot when it happened, it was actually quite cold.

What annoys me is that if it really weren't a problem, then why did the guy I talked to at Apple tell me to send it in? He seemed kinda rude - I described the problem and I don't think he even listened, and when I asked him questions he replied by asking my zip code or something. I suppose that's what they do once your 90 days of phone support is up. I thought that only referred to software issues...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Luca: Check out this thread in the iBook forum on MacNN. A poster there mentions a software utility that can reduce the instances of the drive head "parking", i.e. moving back to resting position and making the clunking noise.

Escher