Wireless hardware question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have two macs connected to my cable modem via a wired 4 port router. Now into the mix comes a new computer (ibook) with an airport card. Wanting to take full advantage of this, I now wish to get a wireless base station. I already have a router. Do I need to purchase a product like the linksys 4 port wireless router or is there a cheaper and equally effective way to go wireless without the router part. i.e. I don't think the router portion in needed and would like to save some dough...what do you think?

Thanks so much in advance,

Terry

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Well you could buy a wireless access point and just plug it into one of the 4 port slots on your router. Whatever that port is config'd to do is what your access point will broadcast. I have seen them for around 80 bucks, but for around that price you can also pick up a 4 port wireless router. Either way, its easy to set up.

Luck
  • Reply 2 of 9
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You just need something that can broadcast a 802.11 signal. I have an Asante router and just bought a Network everywhere 802.11b/router. Yes, 2 routers. I can use a crossover cable to connect the two or use it "in line" (2 firewalls). The thing is, here it was cheaper to buy the whole router/802.11b thingymajig ($40) than just a wireless access point($68 ).
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Yeah, wireless routers can be found for very cheap, and in just about every instance is cheaper than the access point. I just picked up a Netgear wireless router for $60, a $20 mail in rebate will hopefully knock the price down to $40 after everything is done. Not too shabby. Just take a look at Techbargains, XPBargains, or DealMac to see deals on them, there's usually several deals in any given week.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trailmaster308

Well you could buy a wireless access point and just plug it into one of the 4 port slots on your router. Whatever that port is config'd to do is what your access point will broadcast. I have seen them for around 80 bucks, but for around that price you can also pick up a 4 port wireless router. Either way, its easy to set up.

Luck

ummm hold on...

#1 what kind of macs.... (wired)

#2 what OS?

you could possibly just put an airport card in one (both?) of the macs and use them as a software base station

you could get rid of your router then if you wanted and just put the cable modem directly into one of the desktop computers...

you don't NEED to get a wireless base station... but if you do depending on what you buy you have a host of different options... if you get an ABS you could hook the cable modem into that and hook up one mac directly to the station... the other 2 computers would have to be wireless... You could sell the router and get a combination 4-port router and a wireless base station...

it really is up to how much flexibility you want to have and how much money you are willing to spend...

hth

-Paul
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Paul,

I am now intrigued. It seems as if you are saying that one of my computers could act as a wireless base station. How? The three computers are as follows: imac g4 800 15 inch, imac se 500mhz crt, and an ibook 600mhz. I actually have access to two airport cards. Work some vodoo and let me know what you are thinking. Thanks for all the input from everybody as well.

Terry
  • Reply 6 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you could put your other wireless card into the 15" iMac, turn on internet connection sharing, and you'll be able to share the iMacs ethernet connection with the iBook via wireless 'net access.

it's really quite slick. save yourself the few hundred bucks unless you really want the wireless USB print sharing.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    you can have printer sharing on the network anyway... just turn it on on the wired computers...

what kind of airport card is it? is it just the card or does it come with a green logic-board as well?

if it is the latter you can put it in EITHER the LCD or CRT imac, you would most likely choose the one with the best location... if it is only the card it can only be put into the LCD iMac....

what OS is the CRT iMac running? you need to have 10.2 or better to run a software base station...

i think the best scenario for you would be to leave things as they are and setup the SWBS and airport card on the LCD iMac... minimal changes, least amount of work, and if you already have the 2nd airport card, you wont have to buy anything...

let us know what you end up doing...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Will the SWBS provide the same quality/speed as the wireless base station? I would definitely use the lcd imac as the base. All computers are 10.2.x. Very interesting indeed. Thanks again and will let you know how it works out....

Terry
  • Reply 9 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, it provides the same quality, the only thing is that the machine would have to be powered on and connected to the 'net to share the connection. the reason people buy base stations is so that all the computers can be off other than the laptop (as an example) and the laptop will still have internet access.

however, the LCD iMac is so quiet, it's not really much of an issue.