Turkey

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yet another turnaround in the politco-diplomatic wrangling with Turkey. Having passed a measure in Parliament yesterday giving US overflight rights, they have now put implementation of that on hold until the US agrees to let Turkish troops enter Northern Iraq.

Hmm.

This is starting to get obscene, on Turkey's part. If they don't want any part of this war, fair enough. They don't have to let our troops through. But dithering over allowing overflights, when we bent over backwards to secure NATO AWACS, Patriots, and NBC defense gear for them, seems pretty inconsiderate. Holding that approval hostage until we agree to let them invade Iraq (withOUT US forces alongside) is assinine. "We don't want any part in this war, but let us invade Iraq," is a strange sentiment, so say the least.

If this gets more mainstream press attention, US public opinion of Turkey will sink even lower than France. France comes across as petty and selfish; Turkey is starting to look dumb and mean. How can you interpret their actions other than driven by a desire to kill Kurds without anyone looking over their shoulder?

I hope we remember who our friends are, and keep telling the Turks "thanks but no thanks" on the airspace and bases, and "stay the hell out" of Iraq.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Nothing against Turkey per se, but for the sake of the Kurds, I'd rather walk away from that proposal.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

I hope we remember who our friends are, and keep telling the Turks "thanks but no thanks" on the airspace and bases, and "stay the hell out" of Iraq.

I absolutely agree with this: I can't help but think that the Turks are just waiting to expand their once great empire into Iraq.

We should deny them (Turks) access AND we should go ahead and let the Kurds form a nation out of the Northern terratories if they can gaurantee that they will not try to expand into Turkey . . . in fact, they could take Kurds from Turkey.

interrupted

Just heard live on BBC that the Turks are entering soon and in part to stifle "terrorist activity" . . . meaning they are going to kill some Kurds
  • Reply 3 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

I

interrupted

Just heard live on BBC that the Turks are entering soon and in part to stifle "terrorist activity" . . . meaning they are going to kill some Kurds

Oh man that's suck. Wish the info is false.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    They are saying that their 5,000 troops entering Iraq are there for "humanitarian" purposes. Meaning that they will not allow Kurdish refugees to cross over into Turkey.

This can get very sticky...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    how many billion were they asking for over the $26Billion the US offered?

still sound like a good deal?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    So, like, if Turkey invades Iraq from the rear....would Greece help?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Most turks are muslims.....

does that help explain the situation?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    A perverse way that a Turkish force entering Kurdistan would end up being good would be that the US and international community probably won't let Turkey take more land like that, and equally so any other force couldn't "take over" any part of that country. So, in a strange and maybe hopeful way, Turkey's incursion into Iraq would help ensure that no one, not even the US, could "colonize" the country or claim its resources.

Turkey is going to set of the balkanization of Iraq if they touch the Kurds.

I can't imagine that Greece would ever help Turkey. The last thing Greeks would want is more land and repression of non-Turks.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

So, like, if Turkey invades Iraq from the rear....would Greece help?

Vaseline might be better than Greece. Anyway, you are my new hero.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Thank goodness there are still a few sharp tacks left in the drawer....

"credit" where credit's due: that was an old saying that my Dad would say every long once in awhile when I was growing up....not sure where he got it....never dreamed it might be able to be used in conversation...