Very unglamorous OS9 internet problem with OT

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
A friend of mine is at his wit's end having lost his internet connection. He has a CRT imac running system 9.22. Two days ago he was able to connect to the internet. Now it won't connect and Remote Access won't open, giving an "unable to find system extension 'Open Tpt Remote Access' ". He brought it to me and i reinstalled 9.22 verified that the extension was present in the extensions folder and checked but the same message was thrown up.

It is as if the extension is invisible. I'm sure its the right one as my FP imac has 9.22 and it only has the same 4 open Transport extensions and it works. Help please. He's not great with computers and is spreading horror stories about his Mac ( understandably ).

He swears he has done nothing to it although his kids have been on in the interim but I don't think they could do much to harm it. Everything else works and the hard disc checks out OK.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    My move would be to remove all internet- and network-related preferences. But someone here may have a more elegant, less destructive solution.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    try a clean install of 9 (makes a "new" 'system folder' and takes the "old" system folder and rename is to 'old system folder') if it doesn't work after that it could be a hardware problem... how could you check if the modem is working? I would say install AOL and try it, but AOL's app could screw with things it shouldn't, so don't do that ... what ISP are you using? setup a trial account with earthlink or some other ISP just to test if the modem works... if you can't dial out at all (even an 800-number to get access numbers for your area... that is all you really have to check) then there is a hardware problem with the modem most likely (is the line protected from surges? that could do it...)