Peloton announces voluntary recall of Tread, Tread+ treadmills

Posted:
in General Discussion
Peloton has announced a voluntary recall of both its Tread and Tread+ treadmill machines after reports of injuries and one death, marking a major reversal.

Credit: Peloton
Credit: Peloton

The fitness company is advising owners of the treadmill machines to immediately discontinue and contact Peloton for a full refund. The move represents a reversal of Peloton's position on the products.

In April, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a warning about the Peloton treadmills. In its report, the CPSC said that the machines were a danger to children or pets. It released a graphic video showing a young boy being pulled underneath a Tread+ and struggling to free himself.

According to the CPSC, the Peloton products use a different design than other treadmills on the market. They feature "an unusual belt design" of rigid, rubberized slats or treads. Additionally, there's a large gap between the belt and the floor.

Peloton pushed back on the CPSC warning, claiming that there was no reason to stop using the Tread or Tread+. On Wednesday, Peloton CEO John Foley walked back on those claims.

"I want to be clear, Peloton made a mistake in our initial response to the Consumer Product Safety Commission's request that we recall the Tread+. We should have engaged more productively with them from the outset. For that, I apologize," Foley said.

In addition, Peloton said it would work with the CPSC on new industry safety standards for treadmills and workout equipment.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    It would seem to me they could engineer a two fold solution:

1.  Add a physical shield at the back end of the belt that prevents sucking / dragging of things under the system.  This is similar to how professional treadmills in gyms seem to work.  

2.  I would guess that the system can detect drag  in the system.  Resistance in the system.  If so, update the software to detect drag that is higher than normal and higher than expected and do an auto shutdown.  A child or pet or other object being dragged under the system would most likely impart a high level of continuous resistance to the system compared to unimpaired use and that that should probably be able to be detected and used as input.  

Disclaimer:  I have no connection to Peloton.  Don’t Klien or use any of their products.  Just thinking about the problem as an outside observer. 
    rcfawatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    Note: the image atop this article does not appear to be the device involved in the recall. It appears the actual device (edit) is only one of two devices involved in the recall. The other one particularly has a fairly large, exposed surface area where the tread belt goes across the back roller and underneath the device. Any child or pet that touches that area while it's in motion could easily be snagged and pulled under. Look at a picture of the actual second device, which is the one shown in the CPSC notice, and it seems pretty obvious. (Comment corrected for better accuracy.)

edited May 2021
  • Reply 3 of 6
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I still wish Apple would take fitness EQUIPMENT more seriously. They should strike up a GymKit deal with gyms or have a spin-off gym equipment manufacturer that subsidizes gym equipment in exchange for GymKit support.

Buying Peloton of course is a dream but there’s other manufacturers like Nordic Track and Life Fitness. Apple could innovate and distribute. Even if Apple loses 10 billion on deals it would be recouped in Watch lock-in and Apple stickiness. Gyms are already 80% Apple (anecdotal) so getting that extra 10% is sure worth it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Beats said:
    I still wish Apple would take fitness EQUIPMENT more seriously. They should strike up a GymKit deal with gyms or have a spin-off gym equipment manufacturer that subsidizes gym equipment in exchange for GymKit support.

Buying Peloton of course is a dream but there’s other manufacturers like Nordic Track and Life Fitness. Apple could innovate and distribute. Even if Apple loses 10 billion on deals it would be recouped in Watch lock-in and Apple stickiness. Gyms are already 80% Apple (anecdotal) so getting that extra 10% is sure worth it.
    No. How exactly do they magically “innovate” (there you go with tossing that word around again like it’s something you just do) by buying Nordic Track? You think maybe all of these options haven’t crossed their minds while building out GymKit? I bet they did, and they said “No.”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    Beats said:

No. How exactly do they magically “innovate” (there you go with tossing that word around again like it’s something you just do) by buying Nordic Track? You think maybe all of these options haven’t crossed their minds while building out GymKit? I bet they did, and they said “No.”
    Right. While it makes sense for Apple to build out GymKit integration opportunities for exercise equipment manufacturers, there's not much reason for them to make and sell the stuff themselves. They don't sell Apple-branded light switches, cameras and doorbells for HomeKit, either.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said:

I love it when uncreative people can’t see the potential in an idea.

Apple would innovate by pushing the bounds of fitness tracking by owning the software AND the hardware. How is this not common sense to people?

Let me think of a random idea... hmmm... ok I got one:

A GymKit enabled line of treadmills that automatically weigh the user and track their progress and fat loss via Apple Watch data and user identification.

Let me think of another idea for fun....
    How about a treadmill/stationary bike/stair climber thing with a screen that enables all your apps when you step on it, identified via Apple Watch or iPhone. You can FaceTime, watch your YouTube playlists, pick up a call, record a Tik Tik, play special fitness games (imagine a bike racing game!) etc. while working out so you have a bigger screen and your iPhone takes a battery break. Even better it can have an iPhone charging stand. 

See how easy innovation is? These are ideas I thought of within minutes and I’m not Apple, imagine what they would do? Apple has the engineers to make this and much more possible by owning the product and the software. Hmmm... where have I heard that before?
    edited May 2021