Bump?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why? What does it mean?

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Occasionally you can start a thread to ask a question, and then several people start other threads and knock your thread down the list where it may not get spotted. Bump means you post a reply to your own thread to "bump" it back to the top of the forum. This way it gets noticed again and presumably someone answers your query.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Ah, I see, I didn't realise that worked on these forums, is it new in vB? I'm surpised it doesn't annoy the mods though.

Andrew
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SquidThing

Ah, I see, I didn't realise that worked on these forums, is it new in vB? I'm surpised it doesn't annoy the mods though.

Andrew

No it's not new - threads with new replies are bumped to the top in most forums.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I think the odd bump doesn't upset anyone, but incessant bumping and whining "someone please reply to me!" probably will: usually if there's no answer it's because nobody's got anything to add on the topic.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    bump vt. Synonym for increment. Has the same meaning as C's ++ operator. Used esp. of counter variables, pointers, and index dummies in for, while, and do-while loops.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    see i'm 'bumping' this thread now
  • Reply 7 of 10
    And if "bumped" too much, posts may be deleted and the thread will fall right off the page.

Ahem.

Do not make a habit of this.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    correct brad...if you keep bumping a thread you will find out what 'locking' a thread means

PS - love the smileys...they growing on me
  • Reply 9 of 10
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member

• Reply 10 of 10
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member