The next .Mac : what should it have?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Six months away from anniversary of .Mac....

What NEW features should Apple add to retain customers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    They need to add some form of blogging. The current interface for creating a homepage is pretty much a joke. They need another iApp that allows you to make quick, dated updates in the same colors as your calendars, so they'll automatically be marked when you updated in iCal.

I don't think the iTunes Subscription Service will have much to do with .Mac... since they want to maximize their profits on that one, they'll probably just stick with the ol' Apple ID.

Also, I think a major feature is not having the Finder come to an hour's halt when dragging more than two files to your iDisk.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    More interesting designs and free games!
  • Reply 3 of 43
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    How about a lower price for renewing customers? There is no way any of .Mac costs $100/yr/user for Apple.

Blogging would be great. Apple could really make the templates look stunning.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

The current interface for creating a homepage is pretty much a joke.

Well, it is aimed at Joe Schmoe who hasn't got the first idea about how to write any HTML, and I often used it to bang out picture galleries when I can't be bothered to expend any mental effort on the process. And there's nothing to stop you creating a site in any other HTML editor and uploading it.

Quote:

Also, I think a major feature is not having the Finder come to an hour's halt when dragging more than two files to your iDisk.

Can't say mine does that: the feedback is hilariously laggy (yeah, like it's going to take another hour to upload two 40kb JPEGs), but I can get on with other work in the meantime with no problem, just as when I'm swapping files over my local network.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    sometimes the .mac server runs a littles slow
  • Reply 6 of 43
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think Apple has to focus .Mac a bit more into a few perks and mainly services. It should gear itself more towards families, "buddy" groups, and people who want to communicate better between home and work (and mobile computing) who could take better advantage of .Mac services via the internet.

Top ten ways to improve .Mac:

10. improved Backup (with more "smart" folders, compression, etc.)

9. combine with more "personalized" AppleCare and training/support pages

8. improved public folder/file sharing service (FTP, iDisk Utility, SMB, etc.)

7. improved Homepage updating, site organization, and create-your-own template features

6. something like newgroups?

5. extra perks for the iApps: tunes, stock pictures, sounds, movie clips, etc.

4. throw in Disk Utility with some extra perks for cleaning up and administering the computer?

3. partner with someone with special Hot Deals or other types of purchasing (including third-party) discounts. More than just small game discounts. Make a "coupon book."

2. offer free previews of upcoming software releases from developers-- generate revenue from third parties this way.

1. Make OS X release of the classic Puzzle!
  • Reply 7 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

Well, it is aimed at Joe Schmoe who hasn't got the first idea about how to write any HTML, and I often used it to bang out picture galleries when I can't be bothered to expend any mental effort on the process. And there's nothing to stop you creating a site in any other HTML editor and uploading it.

I'm aware of that, but it's still no easier.The service's simplicity shouldn't translate to clunkiness. Using a web page to create a web page is a very tired trend, and Apple excels in elegance.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    50 free downloads with their new music service.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I bet that if you want to use the Music Service, you are going to have to be a .Mac member, you will probably get 10 free songs, then you have to pay for each. And then, every once in a while, you will get to choose from "FREE GAME" or "FREE SONGS!"

or something like that

I think the Blog idea is a great one. "Blogger" only for .Mac members and it automatically updates, and it will have themes, but people can hack it and make their own CSS stuff.... y'know? It will be excellence, pure excellence..... It would allow posting from Internet and full admin from a mac
  • Reply 10 of 43
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Some form of blogging would be very nice to add. Make the Homepage templates more customizable. Make the iDisk faster, and with some easy to set up, small FTP abilities. I know I can mount the iDisk on my desktop, and that's great, but I need an easier way for my PC friends to give me files other that IM transfers. The Software section of the iDisk needs a little work, a lot of people don't even use it. The only thing that's in the Extras folder in FreePlay Music, why should that be under Extra Software? Do you think they may tie this Extras folder into the possible new Music Service?
  • Reply 11 of 43
    You know what would be REALLY nice, is if they had a way, maybe in Panther, to sort of have your .mac URL automatically redirect to the site you've created on your hard disk in your Home's "Sites" folder, so that you have practically unlimited hosting space. When you're not logged onto a Mac with your .mac name in that special tab in System Preferences' "Internet" section, you would have a 100MB "lite" version of your homepage, just as is the case now. The FTP / web sharing abilities in Mac OS X have up 'til this point remained untapped for consumers (and, dare I say, prosumers ), and this would breathe new life into them.

I forgot where this idea came up. I think it was MOSR, in which case, there is absolutely no hope for this, but, yeah...
  • Reply 12 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

You know what would be REALLY nice, is if they had a way, maybe in Panther, to sort of have your .mac URL automatically redirect to the site you've created on your hard disk in your Home's "Sites" folder, so that you have practically unlimited hosting space. When you're not logged onto a Mac with your .mac name in that special tab in System Preferences' "Internet" section, you would have a 100MB "lite" version of your homepage, just as is the case now. The FTP / web sharing abilities in Mac OS X have up 'til this point remained untapped for consumers (and, dare I say, prosumers ), and this would breathe new life into them.

I forgot where this idea came up. I think it was MOSR, in which case, there is absolutely no hope for this, but, yeah...

You can do that with the built in apache server in mac os x. turn it on in system prefernences. Have your html files on the idisk and in the htmlm files the acual links to files will be to your apache server.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    The blogging idea sounds good. Create an app. Call it iBlog or something. You can use it to publish to your .mac account or some other webdav enabled server if you don't have .mac. It would be cool and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to implement.
  • Reply 14 of 43
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Gee whiz, I mean, the Blog function is a slam DUNK for Apple. But should they hold that off for another six months or strike while the buzzword still has some heat on it and Google's yet to grab the stick.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    A free upgrade CD to any major release of OS X in the subscription period.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    free download of 10.3.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

A free upgrade CD to any major release of OS X in the subscription period.

No they wont ddo that, but maybe you could get a discount.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

free download of 10.3.

Do you have any idea how long that would take and how busy there servers would be
  • Reply 19 of 43
    More bandwith/servers so that I can exceed the blazing speed of 0.001 kb/sec on my iDisc.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    What about a messageboard? So that your far-flung family can post and discuss the photographs and such that you keep on your .Mac website? I'd sure use it.