VOI VOD Fans?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have been a VoiVod fan since the 1st LP (yes, it was really vinyl!), now, 13 recordings late, they are still kickin' it (with Jason Newkid on bass now).

I have seen them live once, and I had a chance to chat with Snake for a while. I have also met Jason many times (I have a close pal who went to high school with him). Cool dudes.

Voi Vod fans: Holler if ya hear me!

"...into the quasar"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    I've dipped into that 80's-90's metal stuff. Them and Stormtroopers of Death..."Speak English or Die!"

Motorhead was always my aquired taste of metal.

I got over it though...
  • Reply 2 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    That brings back memories of one of the best shows I've ever seen...

I think it was '89...whenever 'Nothingface' came out anyways...we took a road trip to Kalamazoo's State Theatre to see a 3 band show with Viovod headlining. I was pretty into Voivod back then, but the two supporting acts were a couple of fairly unknowns with new albums that I thought had some some definite musical potential.

Headliner: Voivod (Nothingface tour)

Supporting Act: Soundgarden (Louder Than Love tour)

Opening Act: Faith No More (The Real Thing / We Care A Lot tour (1st tour with Mike Patton lead))

Damn, was that ever a great show.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    hehe i was a big metal head back in the days of "crossover" from punk to metal...

Metallica, Slayer, SOD, Celtic Frost, Venom, Motorhead, DRI, Cro-Mags, Crumbsuckers, Indestroy, Sacrilege to name a few we listened to all the time. I sorta liked VoiVod, they were a bit different, more "quirky" for lack of a better description.

rrraaawwrrr!!

/me does the metal sign with his hands over head
  • Reply 4 of 12
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

That brings back memories of one of the best shows I've ever seen...

I think it was '89...whenever 'Nothingface' came out anyways...we took a road trip to Kalamazoo's State Theatre to see a 3 band show with Viovod headlining. I was pretty into Voivod back then, but the two supporting acts were a couple of fairly unknowns with new albums that I thought had some some definite musical potential.

Headliner: Voivod (Nothingface tour)

Supporting Act: Soundgarden (Louder Than Love tour)

Opening Act: Faith No More (The Real Thing / We Care A Lot tour (1st tour with Mike Patton lead))

Damn, was that ever a great show.

I was there.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Some of my faves:

VoiVod

Slayer

Motorhead (Lemmy's Ex wife was an acquaintence of mine!)

SOD ("**** the Middle East")

Celtic Frost

Black Flag

DRI

Agnostic Front

SNFU

No Means No

Dr Know

Beyond Posession

Exodus

Death Angel

COC (They still rule)

Cruci****s

Bad Religion

Bad Brains

CroMags
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

hehe i was a big metal head back in the days of "crossover" from punk to metal...

Metallica, Slayer, SOD, Celtic Frost, Venom, Motorhead, DRI, Cro-Mags, Crumbsuckers, Indestroy, Sacrilege to name a few we listened to all the time. I sorta liked VoiVod, they were a bit different, more "quirky" for lack of a better description.

rrraaawwrrr!!

/me does the metal sign with his hands over head

Kansas City? Dude? I live here too. I used to live in Westport (4 houses), then the Plaza (near the Nelson), then Brookeside (near the brewry), then Downtown (high-rise), then Prairie Village (apt). I must know you! It's a small town for metal heads who use MACs! Who are you!?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I didn't notice you were from KC. Isn't that where the Sin City Disciples were from? Saw those guys a couple times in Austin. Great live band.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Heh I noticed your KC location to dstranthan! I'm not from here orginally though, grew up in Lincoln, Nebraska and went to college at KU. Moved to KC after college to get a "real" job.

I'd classify myself a more a 'nostalgic' metal head these days. Still listen to some punk or hardcore now and then, but mostly moved on to other things. The only newer hard stuff I've listened to lately has been stuff like Snapcase or Grade or somethign like that (and the occasional Hatebreed mp3 but don't tell anyone).

Like your list. Have been into every single one of them at one point or another and have seen a few of them live...Slayer, Black Flag, Agnostic Front, SNFU, Bad Religion, Bad Brains...

I don't really even go to shows much these days either unfortunately, so doubt we've met. I'm a reclusive marreid yuppie now! haha. I finally went to one a few months back, saw Interpol at the Madrid. Good show, lots of "cooly slacker kids". Made me and the wife feel like old folks hehe. I do think I'm gonna go all emo and see the Cursive/Appleseed Cast show in April...
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Yeah I think Sin City Disciples was from KC weren't they? Or was it Lawrence? I think I may have saw them at the Outhouse in Lawrence a long time ago.... (not entirely sure though)...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I didn't notice you were from KC. Isn't that where the Sin City Disciples were from? Saw those guys a couple times in Austin. Great live band.

Dude. I was in Germbox! We played with Sin City. We played with bigger national acts like Jesus Lizard, Fugazi, etc. We did one tour that covered California, Utah, Nevada, Texas, Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. Our style was in the vein of Bastro, Bitch Magnet, Bread Winner, Rapeman, Big Black - "progressive post-punk".We have a remastered CD out now. It's at http://www.Amazon.com and all the major distributors too. Just look for Germbox "Fraction of Exaageration" It's a good CD. Check it out. We are on Billboard's new release page also. God. We sold out! LOL

You still in KC?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Ignore this. Oops.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Some of my faves:

VoiVod

Slayer

Motorhead (Lemmy's Ex wife was an acquaintence of mine!)

SOD ("**** the Middle East")

Celtic Frost

Black Flag

DRI

Agnostic Front

SNFU

No Means No

Dr Know

Beyond Posession

Exodus

Death Angel

COC (They still rule)

Cruci****s

Bad Religion

Bad Brains

CroMags

Among your list, my favorites are Slayer (South of Heaven owns), Motorhead, Black Flag, and COC. Ahh the Cruci****s, I have one of their albums (whatever one it was that got them in trouble for the photo on the back, is it Our Will Be Done ?), and I have decided that besides Wesley Willis, they're Alternative Tentacles most random artists.