strange pro mouse behavior

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i have an iMac (15") 700MHz, 640MB RAM, 40 GB HD, CD-RW - OS X 10.2.3 / OS 9.2.2 using an Apple Pro Mouse. And for some strange reason, the mouse gets stuck on the left side of the screen and only goes up and down I can't go from side to side, or it will sometimes just vanish to the bottom left corner of the screen, this doesn't happen all the time, but is annoying. Could this be the bad pro mouse problem with the wire, or OS problem? thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    On what kind of surface are you using it? It there any kind of shine or gloss or transparency to the surface? Are there any deep scratches in the surface? Such things can cause the light to bounce unexpectedly and jump the mouse around. For ease of use, I just keep a blank sheet of paper under my mouse.

Also, you might should look at the underside of the mouse to see if there is a dark smudge or gunk or something that could be blocking or distorting the light.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Hey Brad - I am using the mouse on a fake wood looking table, it could be a glossy if you get it at the right angle. No deep scratches. The mouse is clean. I am now using the mouse on that Jaguar mouse pad Apple was giving out in August to see if the problem continues while on a mouse pad. Thanks!