Iraq tribes given option to split?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Seeing some history of the area, that Mesopotamia was grouped up by the Brits and formed IRaq had a bunch of separate peoples all slapped together int oa country. Bad move.

So when this is over shouldn't the world work with the wishes of any large gropus who want their own country? I t doesn't and never has been the case that Iraq has been united......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    That is almost like saying that everything would be fine if after the revolutionary war the colonies went on their own not unifying. isn't bigger better? THe iraqi people are used to war and would attack each others tribes. It would also be easier for a terrorist or new saddam to rise up in a village and unite them again.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think the jury is still out, but there's a great fear of the "Balkanization" of Iraq -- a lot of old scored to be settled and so forth. I think for that reason the UN/US or whoever all have the idea that Iraq will remain one country with multiple ethnicities, religious sects and provinces all represented like Afghanistan. The idea being that keeping them in one boat will force them to work through things together, whereas letting them atomize could easily create a lot of internal warfare and warlord fiefdoms.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

whereas letting them atomize could easily create a lot of internal warfare and warlord fiefdoms.

That is exactly my point