Hands on with the new iOS 15 CarPlay features

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2021
It didn't get much stage time during WWDC, but CarPlay is still adding features in the fall as part of iOS 15. Here are some of the new features you can expect.

CarPlay in iOS 15
CarPlay in iOS 15

iOS 15 CarPlay - Car keys

For iOS 15, Apple is improving the capabilities of virtual car keys. CarKey can now utilize Apple's ultra-wideband U1 chip found on recent devices. This exact spatial awareness ensures that the car can never be started without your phone in the vehicle and that you will never lock your doors with your phone inside.

CarKey was originally introduced with iOS 14, but worked on iOS 13 as well.

It will require support from car manufacturers, and so far, BMW is the first partner announced.

iOS 15 CarPlay - Driving Focus

Focus in iOS 15
Focus in iOS 15

Focus is an entirely new feature within iOS 15, but driving is a subset by itself. With Focus, you can set custom notifications based on your task -- be it driving, sleeping, working, or personal time. This will replace Do Not Disturb While Driving we had before.

Focus while driving settings in iOS 15
Focus while driving settings in iOS 15

Users can have Driving Focus turn on or off automatically when you connect to your car's Bluetooth, manually, or when CarPlay is active.

Each Focus, including the driving category, can restrict which notifications come in. For example, while driving, I only want my wife to be able to contact me, and I only want my security or smart home apps to be able to send notifications.

iOS 15 CarPlay - Wallpapers

Apple is bundling four new wallpapers as part of iOS 15 for CarPlay. All four look similar to the default background for iOS 15 found on iPhone and iPad.

Wallpapers in iOS 15
Wallpapers in iOS 15

Each of these wallpapers has both a dark and light version. CarPlay can automatically switch between the light and dark modes based on time of day, or you can always keep it sporting the dark aesthetic.

iOS 15 CarPlay - Other new features

Some features Apple won't have ready in time for the initial iOS 15 release. One of those features is the ability for Siri to announce your messages as they arrive. This feature also works with AirPods and reduces the need for drivers to interact with their infotainment system while on the road. Users are able to listen to Siri and respond entirely hands-free.

Siri gets better in iOS 15
Siri gets better in iOS 15

Apple says this will be coming later this year in a subsequent iOS 15 update.

Similarly, Apple is also saying that the revamped Maps experience will be arriving after the iOS 15 launch. The new Maps app will have much more detail than it does now. "Explore cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, and London with unprecedented detail for elevation, roads, trees, buildings, landmarks, and more" is how Apple describes it.

Coming this fall

Apple is set to release iOS 15 to the masses this fall as a free software update for iPhone users. The changes in CarPlay are just a small subset of countless new features that will be making their debut.

Follow all the details of WWDC 2021 with the comprehensive AppleInsider coverage of the whole week-long event from June 7 through June 11, including details of all the new launches and updates.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    Fine and well, but how does one update CarPlay in the car?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    jdw said:
    You shouldn’t need to do anything with your car. CarPlay is updated in iOS.

That’s not to say there are not bug fixes to head units or car infotainment units. For that you have to go to that company’s support site. Rarely an update is needed to be compatible with the new iOS.
    byronlGeorgeBMacMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jdw said:

That’s not to say there are not bug fixes to head units or car infotainment units. For that you have to go to that company’s support site. Rarely an update is needed to be compatible with the new iOS.

Thanks!   I may be picking up a 2017 Elantra with CarPlay this afternoon and i was wondering the same -- is updated?  Has it been updated?  Can it be updated?
    Thank you!
    edited June 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Another Great Review Andrew!
    But isn't it time for a new watchband?   That one's looking a little worn.  Or is that just a little dirt on the bright orange?   I've never seen an Apple brand band wear like that.

(Sorry! -- not trying to play your mother)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    jdw said:

Thanks!   I may be picking up a 2017 Elantra with CarPlay this afternoon and i was wondering the same -- is updated?  Has it been updated?  Can it be updated?
    Thank you!
    You might have to check out Hyundai support site. Also, you can probably check on the infotainment center of the car for version number. Not sure if they let the customer update (usually just placing update on flash drive) or you have to take to service department......but like I said, it is probably not needed for CarPlay.....

Unless you are worried about security on something like this:
    https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    jdw said:

Thank you!
    With CarPlay your iPhone essentially uses the car stereo as an external touch screen, microphone and speakers. All the work is done by your phone. There’s some software on the stereo head unit to allow the interface to occur but that doesn’t affect updates on Apple’s side.

As far as these updates go, they all seem pretty minor. New Backgrounds? Meh. Siri announcing messages? Nice I guess, but a short tone is effective and less intrusive. The real improvements with carplay will come with improvements to maps, etc.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    CloudTalkinCloudTalkin Posts: 916member
    The feature updates are nice I guess, but nothing to write home about imo.  I think Apple is missing an opportunity.  I think they need to pull a Google and do a CarPlay OS that's equivalent to Android Automotive.  For those unaware of what I'm referencing, Android Automotive is an OS for OEM car manufacturers.  It's part of G.A.S. Google Automotive Services.  It is different from Android Auto, which like CarPlay, is essentially a phone based infotainment overlay.

Apple could very well have OEM initiatives going on behind the scenes.  Idk.  I can only speak to what they've announced: phone based CarPllay improvements. Yay, I guess.  I just feel like their efforts would be better served at the integrated level of automobiles instead of as a 3rd party overlay.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    The feature updates are nice I guess, but nothing to write home about imo.  I think Apple is missing an opportunity.  I think they need to pull a Google and do a CarPlay OS that's equivalent to Android Automotive.  For those unaware of what I'm referencing, Android Automotive is an OS for OEM car manufacturers.  It's part of G.A.S. Google Automotive Services.  It is different from Android Auto, which like CarPlay, is essentially a phone based infotainment overlay.

Apple could very well have OEM initiatives going on behind the scenes.  Idk.  I can only speak to what they've announced: phone based CarPllay improvements. Yay, I guess.  I just feel like their efforts would be better served at the integrated level of automobiles instead of as a 3rd party overlay.
    You probably have to wait for Apple Car.  :'(
  • Reply 9 of 21
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    jdw said:
    Basically all the car is doing is projecting the iPhone's CarPlay onto your screen and relaying button presses etc back to your device. CarPlay is otherwise entirely in the iPhone.
    edited June 2021 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobramaltz
  • Reply 10 of 21
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,008member

Apple is not in the habit of writing operating systems for third-party hardware. Isn't this obvious by now?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    jdw said:
    CarPlay runs entirely on your iPhone. Basically, it just displays to your car’s infotainment system as a secondary display. So when your iPhone updates to iOS 15 this fall, CarPlay in your car will automatically be updated as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    But isn't it time for a new watchband?   That one's looking a little worn.  Or is that just a little dirt on the bright orange?   I've never seen an Apple brand band wear like that.

It is Apple’s Leather Link and just some general wear on the bottom. If I took some leather cleaner to it it would clean right up! Just a byproduct of the light-colored bands!
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    AppleZulu said:

Apple is not in the habit of writing operating systems for third-party hardware. Isn't this obvious by now?
    Apple's previous behavior with their devices shouldn't be indicative of what they would do in automotive.  What is obvious is they'd be better served by not letting Google end up being the de facto backbone of the automotive industry's drive towards smart vehicles.  Google offering turnkey solutions to the automotive means they could have access to every major vendor's dash and data.  The appeal of cutting edge tech with little to no R&D cost... pretty sure a lot of the industry is going to be looking at that.
    Again, what's obvious is trying to apply generic "Apple logic" isn't really apropos in this instance.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 21
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Wish Apple Maps had the features of the (extremely buggy) Waze app, such as crowd sourced notifications of nearby police, construction, traffic, stalled vehicles, debris, potholes, etc. nice that it integrates with my watch too when using navigation.
  • Reply 15 of 21

You probably have to wait for Apple Car.  :'(
    ——— ——— ——— ——— ———
    This is my hope, that Apple Car isn’t a vehicle, but a platform. Think HomeKit for your vehicle. Either an OBD dongle, or aftermarket head unit, that controls the lights, locks, cameras etc of a vehicle just like HomeKit items.  CarKey is nice, but a real shame that so few of even Apple’s customers will ever experience it. But if a $150 - $1000 device was available that could be installed in any late model vehicle, that would greatly expand Apple’s ecosystem.

edit: meant the port, not the rapper
  • Reply 16 of 21
    jdw said:

Thank you!
    You might have to check out Hyundai support site. Also, you can probably check on the infotainment center of the car for version number. Not sure if they let the customer update (usually just placing update on flash drive) or you have to take to service department......but like I said, it is probably not needed for CarPlay.....

Unless you are worried about security on something like this:
    https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

Thanks for the tip.   Yeh, I got the car and the head unit has a LOT of stuff on it besides CarPlay and it is attached to the internet via the antenna on the roof.

CarPlay is truly great!  I love it!   It is so good that I had intended to simply ignore all the rest.   But I will try to figure out if it is necessary and possible to provide security updates.  That makes sense.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21

To be honest, I prefer the CarPlay / Android Auto model:   everything gets updated when the phone gets updated.  And, you don't have to worry about the hardware being too old to take an update (I kept my previous car, a Toyota 24 years and my Honda is now 22 and still going)*.   The head units seem to be model unique and, while it is possible to upgrade them (I have done it), it is expensive and complicated.

That may have been one of the reasons why Toyota hesitated so long  in letting Car Play into their cars:   they didn't want their cars dependent on a tech company with an uncertain future (and in the years immediately after Steve passed Apple's future was not assured).

* But keeping a car 2+ decades may be a thing of the past as the batteries in the new EVs are guaranteed to last "the life of the car" - which can be translated as:  the car will last as long as the battery.   And, that makes sense:   with the batteries in and forming part of the structure of the vehicle, replacing them may not be feasible.   I'm sure that has been thought out, but I haven't seen anything on it -- everything is about performance.   And, its one of the reasons why I do not plan on buying a Tesla:  they are great cars that I would love to drive but Elon is only concerned about how the future not the old stuff.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    AppleZulu said:

That may be changing with Apple TV (and coming soon, FaceTime) running on third party stuff -- just as Apple Cloud stuff like iTunes and "Numbers" runs on Windows.
    Apple has always relied on integrated hardware/software platforms to deliver unparalleled performance and functionality.   But we'll see if these things are the exception or a trend.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21

It is Apple’s Leather Link and just some general wear on the bottom. If I took some leather cleaner to it it would clean right up! Just a byproduct of the light-colored bands!

You got a tough job under the spot light where everybody's a critic.   Thanks for the response.   I thought it was an Apple band and was hoping it hadn't started wearing so quickly.   It's also why I stick to the basic Sport Band -- I do enough running and sweating that I doubt most bands could deal with it and not have to be cleaned pretty frequently.
    edited June 2021
  • Reply 20 of 21
    tyler82 said:
    Wish Apple Maps had the features of the (extremely buggy) Waze app, such as crowd sourced notifications of nearby police, construction, traffic, stalled vehicles, debris, potholes, etc. nice that it integrates with my watch too when using navigation.

One of the comments I've heard about the upgrades to messages and FaceTime is that Apple may be taking on Facebook -- or at least challenging them.

So, adding the Waze crowd sourced stuff into maps may not be totally out of the question.   It would make a great addition to Apple maps -- but implementing it would be tricky.
    watto_cobra