WTH? Apple to start selling fonts? For iWorks?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    ooooohh... I don't know, but I like fonts. How'd you happen to find that link?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by iBrowse

[B]ooooohh... I don't know, but I like fonts. How'd you happen to find that Why, MacWhispers of course.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    O, sorry.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Yeah, as you can see in my post in that older thread, that page has been around for YEARS -- since the early Mac OS 9 days.

Heh.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Given that page was last revised on 21st September 1999, I think we have a new definition of what Apple defines as "soon"...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Just for fun:

March 24, 2003

Apple To Start Selling Fonts Online

Apple has posted a mysterious page to their corporate web site indicating a soon to start program for selling additional fonts online.

The "Coming Soon" page is at http://www.apple.com/fonts/buy and, after discussing the many wonders of Apple's OS X fonts, makes the statement, "Someday soon, you?ll be able to expand your repertoire by purchasing additional fonts from the Apple Store."

The presence of the "Buy Fonts" web page on the Apple site is odd, as it seems to break a tradition of keeping future product offerings secret.

MacWhispers Analysis

Since posting this story, many readers have pointed out that this web page has been on the Apple site, and accessible directly through OS X, since as early as the original release of OS X Public Beta. So, though it turns out to not be current news, we will leave it here with a question: "Why is this page still here, with no follow up action, after all this time?"
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Can anyone say VAPORWARE?