Tonton's "killer bee" shirt : kbee_001

Amorya: confirm_001

Ti Fighter's: confirm_006

satchmo_001

Now go vote!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    wotanwotan Posts: 106member
    Wow! There all really good! I had a hard time deciding.

For me, it came down to satchmo's and Ti Fighter's design. I liked the use of the current AI logo on the front, but, although I like it... I think the "removed at the request of apple" on the back kind of looks like it could be something negative or against Apple in someway to someone who's not in the know. I decided to vote for satchmo's because its sharp, its clean, its cool looking, it advertises AI very well, yet doesn't scream "I'M A NERD!" It really looks like something I would wear. Anytime. Not just at Expos or other mac gatherings. I like the "Confirmed!" in quotation marks on the back. very subtle, very nice. I also happen to really like black T-shirts. White always seemed impractical to me. (gets dirty really fast.)

Great job satchmo!
  • Reply 2 of 52
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    They all look great except I don't understand the Killer Bee one... I must have missed something important. The Cabal of Thieves bit on the back is kinda funny, although I don't think anyone would have any idea what's going on.

Well... I was stuck between Amorya's and Ti Fighter's but I chose Amorya's because it looked easier to read. Ti Fighter's has an awesome design on the back but you can barely see what's on the front. So Amorya it is, for me.

Great work guys!
  • Reply 3 of 52
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Fantastic all these shirt designs look really darn good. I hope that I can order one.

Id look really cool in one I bet!
  • Reply 4 of 52
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I voted for Ti Fighter's design.

I would in fact like to see it on a black shirt, as I prefer black shirts.

In fact, what if it were a long-sleeved Steve Jobs style black shirt?

BUT the grey is an AppleInsider look~

Some notes:

Those of you who are just finding this thread are seeing the work of four finalists from a thread over in the AppleOutsider forum. Ti Fighter's numerous designs took their inspiration from Amorya's initial mockup. A LOT of people had suggestions for that particular design, so Ti Fighter did a lot of variations on the theme.....design #006 was the victor from that particular series.

Amorya is aware of the misspelling on his(?) design.

Tonton's bee design represents infamous AppleInsider member "Worker Bee", who turned out to be a disgruntled Apple employee posting insider information to the AI forums....if memory serves it included info on the new optical mouse. This is an inside joke for long-time AI members.

The "removed at the request of Apple legal" is a phrase common to the entire Apple rumor community, something quite familiar to the eyes of the Macintosh fanboy community. The perception of negativity toward Apple is less a poke at Apple than it is at the fervent search of said fanboys for news on future Apple products; it lampoons the AI member more than Apple Computer.

There was one version of Ti Fighter's design which incorporated Kim Kap Sol's famous phrase "I am making the plastics now", another inside joke to the AI forums. It's a CLASSIC phrase, so maybe it could get used on AI branded coffee mugs, terrycloth robes or action figures.

During the development of these shirts it was noted that, while this is a satirical work, the use of the exact Apple logo is not a good idea. With that in mind, Ti Fighter created a loose dotted approximation of the logo. A similar alteration would need to be made to the other shirts if they are the winning selection.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Ha, didn't notice that Amorya's shirt said "AppleInsder."

As for the phrase about plastics, I remember someone here (a regular poster) had the phrase "I'm making plastics right now!" as their signature since I joined in April 2002. I don't remember seeing Kim Kap Sol around until about a month ago but maybe he was just dormant for a while or in forums I didn't go to (like Fireside Chat hehe).
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Since nobody cared to ever include my own idea.... I'll just boycott the poll.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    hey, any of you guys have an illustrator (or eps) format of the plain t-shirt?

it'd be nice if there were a template everyone could work off of, makes the ideas stand out better, so you aren't distracted by a slight difference between the starting points.

after all, we're showcasing concepts.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    I still like the old pirate styled ones with the "Banned in Cupertino" byline
  • Reply 9 of 52
    No, hang on Alcimedes, we're not showcasing concepts NOW....this is purportedly the "final vote" for the "final design". This is the THIRD thread for this subject.

The first one was started by Jonathan in AppleOutsider.

The second one picked ONE design from each person who submitted.

The third one (this one) was started to put a final vote as to which of those final designs would be this year's winner.

So, like, how many times do we do this? (not meaning to sound snippy, btw)

This is the pitfall of doing Opensource design, nobody's the boss.

btw, I planned on entering but the entries that came out were stellar. A common template IS a good idea...
  • Reply 10 of 52
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    dunno. just a thought. i'd wanted to try my hand at an idea or two, but had missed how the thread was progressing. if this is the final vote that's cool, i just thought we'd missed out from some of the forums well known, talented artists.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

dunno. just a thought. i'd wanted to try my hand at an idea or two, but had missed how the thread was progressing. if this is the final vote that's cool, i just thought we'd missed out from some of the forums well known, talented artists.

im pretty sure its not the final vote considering its run by a member and not a admin...plus i dont think all the ideas are there are they?

i still like the appleinsider symbol on the front left breast with a removed apple above or around it with AppleInsider on the back
  • Reply 12 of 52
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i'd also like either light gray or white with black writing
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

im pretty sure its not the final vote considering its run by a member and not a admin...plus i dont think all the ideas are there are they?

i still like the appleinsider symbol on the front left breast with a removed apple above or around it with AppleInsider on the back

Well i only put up the polls cuz people wanted to go vote and Jonathan told one of us to do it. As drewprops said above, the last poll results narrowed down the ideas of each person who submitted thats why there is only 4. I dunno who, how, or when these shirts are acually gonna get made, Jonathan just said he wanted shirt designs so we gave it to him.

And i want to go to the quite possibly last New York Macworld with an appleinsider shirt on.

AI Reprezent foo!
  • Reply 14 of 52
    Exackle.

Everyone was working under Jonathan's direction, so this isn't some sort of t-shirt coup. You're certainly right about there being a lot of talented artists here!

hmmm, "T-shirt Coup" would be a good name for a garage band.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Are any of the admins working on setting up a store online for this stuff?
  • Reply 16 of 52
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    LOL! Click on the store link on the top... I want one of those shirts!!! :P
  • Reply 17 of 52
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I voted Ti Fighter...it has a certain hightech look to it. A lighter grey would of been nice, though.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Are we gonna have more contests for stickers and mugs?!
  • Reply 19 of 52
    wow we could do funny things with stickers. Like stickers for computers..... or toilets:

yes i am very bored and retarded right now
  • Reply 20 of 52
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

wow we could do funny things with stickers. Like stickers for computers..... or toilets:

yes i am very bored and retarded right now

"I'll pay fifty dollars for one!" [/Pip]