Mounting SMB Shares from OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
If I connect to a AFP server, all the possible shares are in a single dialogue box, where I can "Select All" if needed. This has been the common method for choosing and mounting network AFP shares in Mac OS X and even Mac OS 9 (and older).

But when I connect to a SMB server, I have to choose each desired share point ONE AT A TIME via a (lame) drop-down menu listing of the available shares. If I want to select multiple SMB shares, I have to log in a second (or third) time to mount them all. Why?

When I connect to a SMB server from a PC, I don't get the drop down menu. I see a listing of multiple shares (if available). Thus, the problem I am referring to must be a Mac OS X thing or a Samba thing. Any ideas?

Also, why can't Apple make the icons for difeerent types of share points look different?

I would love to be able to tell at a glance if a share point is a AFP

or SMB share point, ya know? Like a little Apple in the corner of the "globe" icon for AFP maybe? Remember back in OS 9 you could tell if a share was AppleTalk or TCP/IP by it's icon?

OK, RANT with me! :0)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Also:

Why do SMB server shares mount in my OS X clients /volumes with the server's fully-qualified DNS name, rather than the share point's name(s)?

If the SMB server has *mutiple* shares, EACH share shows up in /volumes as the fully-qualified DNS name of the server with a number appeneded (i.e.; server.domain, server.domain-1,server.domain-2, etc) !

It's almost impossible to tell which SMB share point is which from the terminal! I'm pissed! I have to "ls" each one manually to figure out where I am...

Any ideas?