Prosumer versions of iApps

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been using iPhoto for a while, and while I really like it (and have no camplaints) I am staring to feel like I would like a more robust image management/editing solution. I use photoshop for really serious work, but it doesn't have any real cataloging/archiving features.

I'm kind of looking for a Final Cut Express-like program for iPhoto. I looked at versiontracker, but nothing there really piqued my interest (iPhoto was the best I saw, and it's free!). Something in the $150-$300 range would be fine.

Any suggestions or recomendations?

Thanks...

Andrew

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    DVD Studio Express is what I am waiting for..

i want to be able to use an external DVD burner...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Yeah man iview Media Pro

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/

Kicks iPhoto's arse.

I'm buying it someday. I need speed and flexibility.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Thanks a lot, hmurchison. I downloaded the trial version, so I'll play around with it for a while. So far it looks like what I'm looking for.

I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks about the idea of Apple releasing a mid-level version of it's media software. Not a freebie iApp, not a $999 professional app, but a middle-of-the-road app. Like the DVD Studio Express mentioned above. It seems to me that it wouldn't be that hard to remove a few features from an existing code base, repackage it, and sell it.

I'm thinking of an iTunes with recording, mixing, composing, and MIDI type features. Or an iPhoto-meets-Photoshop Elements. The iApps included with each new Mac, and the possibility to purchase a more advanced version if the user wanted.

Or maybe that wouldn't be such a great idea, as it may force third-party developers out of business.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Quite right: I'd rather Apple spend their time getting the OS right and Appleworks up to speed rather than trying to reinvent Photoshop.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Apple needs to address areas that there are gaps where no 3rd party has filled in.

Suprisingly they are few. You want do to music. 3d, Vide etc there are a few decent choices.

Anyone know of any untapped oasis available in which Apple has no representation?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    windows apps?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

Quite right: I'd rather Apple spend their time getting the OS right and Appleworks up to speed rather than trying to reinvent Photoshop.

But of course we are all aware that adding more programmers does not necessarily speed up or create a higher quality product; that is by taking people away from other iApps and having them work on OS X, that this will not make OS X better, or updates ship sooner. Nor will this speed up AppleWorks development.

Apple has enough people allocated to working on OS X and AppleWorks. So they have people to work on other projects... so this really would not be hurting OS X or AppleWorkd development at all.