Disable Header Printing in NN7

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I work as part of sales team for a small UK based electronic entertainment company. Our stock ordering system is going through an overhaul as a result of the increased demands being placed on the ordering system.

Part of this streamlining process involves the creation of printable invoices from web pages and online forms. Privacy is an issue ,As these invoices will eventually be dispatched to customers and obviously we wish to protect certain information.

When printing web pages from within Netscape Navigator 7, the document URL is printed (as is other information) in the header/footer of the printed page.

It is possible to disable this feature on NN7 for PC by going:-

1. File-->Page Setup.

2. Select the "Margins & Header/Footer" tab

3. Changing the "Headers & Footers" roll-out menus accordingly

This feature is not present on the MAC version of NN7. Is there an alternative method with which to turn off this unwanted information or is the MAC NN7 incable of removing the header/ footer from a printed web page?

Any Information would be greatly appreciated (and may help me to obtain a small bonus!).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    noobynooby Posts: 4member
    I forgot to mention that I must stay with the current Browser (NN7) so Im affraid solutions using other browsers aren't valid. Sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    user_pref("print.print_footercenter","");

user_pref("print.print_footerleft","");

user_pref("print.print_footerright","");

user_pref("print.print_headerleft","");

user_pref("print.print_headercenter","");

user_pref("print.print_headerright","");

I tried the proposed solution with no luck, on my MAC NN7, the header and footer still appear. I stuck the code in the 'user.js' file as this is supported by NN7 and a preferred method to altering the prefs.js.

What exactly is this JS doing? I assume it's getting the property "print_..." and filling it with an empty string, right? Could I there for do this?..

user_pref("print.print_footercenter","Red");

user_pref("print.print_footerleft","Green");

user_pref("print.print_footerright","Blue");

...making the footer display the names of various colours?

The more I investigate, the more I think the functionality to alter this header and footer information has been completely removed from the MAC version though quite why I'm not sure.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I've sinced used the about:config URL in netscape to find out what's happening to the preferences I'm setting. According to the browser, they are being set correctly. Still, I'm getting the same old results.

Curiously though, I'm getting the same results from both PC and MAC. Coult this mean that though my pref's are correct, they are not overriding the defaults?