Apple services revenue breaks quarterly record on 33% growth

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited July 2021
The Apple services segment grew by 33% to a new record high in the third fiscal quarter of 2021 thanks to continued emphasis on subscriptions like Apple TV+ and Apple Arcade.

Apple Services grow by 33%
Apple Services grow by 33%

Apple shared the earning results for its record breaking third quarter of 2021 on Tuesday. After earning $17.5 billion with services, the segment is now ahead of all segments aside from iPhone thanks to immense growth.

During a quarterly earnings call, CEO Tim Cook and CFO Luca Maestri listed a few data points surrounding the services segment. Specifically, Apple device install base is at an all time high and paid accounts have increased by double digits. This quarter also saw records set for music, video, the App Store, and AppleCare.

The 33% growth is seen as an anomaly, according to Maestri. Apple expects services growth to continue, but at a more average rate starting in the September quarter.

When asked about how the Apple One subscription, Tim Cook said the customer is at the center of that bundle. That it makes enjoying many of Apple's services easy for the customer.

"I'm very pleased with what we are seeing on Apple One," Cook commented. "I think is a great ramp for Services."

Apple services grew 33% to a new record high
Apple services grew 33% to a new record high

Other service segments grew thanks to new user-facing features like paid Apple Podcast subscriptions and Spatial Audio in Apple Music.

Maestri shared that there are over 700 million paid subscribers through the App Store. This is up more than 150 million from 2021 and is four times higher than four years ago.

Apple services continues to grow at a rapid rate
Apple services continues to grow at a rapid rate

Apple services include Apple Arcade, Apple TV+, Apple Music, AppleCare, and paid iCloud storage subscriptions. Customers can subscribe to many of Apple's services via a single subscription called Apple One.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Ted Lasso.

Apple needs to keep hammering this series into the masses’ minds. 
  • Reply 2 of 7
    That bar chart is just unbelievable. Very few breaks in sequential growth. Almost all businesses compare a quarter with the same quarter last year (YoY). The Services revenue sector can actually be sequentially compared. 

And every time new iPhone users are made (like the big number of new iPhone users from this quarter, it’s up to almost 1.1 billion active iPhone users), the service bar just keeps getting taller. This thing could be coming up on 80 billion FTM. JHFC…
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Beats said:
    Ted Lasso.

Oh they will be and more. If Apple can get 10% iPhone users liking Apple TV+, that’s 100 million subscribers at 5$ per month. That’s 6 billion to add to services sector yearly. 
    Music brings in about 10 billion, Apps about 45billion. There’s low inflection rate Advertising, third party subscriptions and licensing, other services arcade and fitness and news, podcasts.   
    Us Apple investors want all those services numbers to pushed above 100billion per year. It’d put new heightened expectation multiples on the stock. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Beats said:
    Ted Lasso.

Oh they will be and more. If Apple can get 10% iPhone users liking Apple TV+, that’s 100 million subscribers at 5$ per month. That’s 6 billion to add to services sector yearly. 
    Music brings in about 10 billion, Apps about 45billion. There’s low inflection rate Advertising, third party subscriptions and licensing, other services arcade and fitness and news, podcasts.   
    Us Apple investors want all those services numbers to pushed above 100billion per year. It’d put new heightened expectation multiples on the stock. 

The issue is that AppleTV legit sucks. I’ve had it 6 months free and I’ve hardly used it. Sure it has a good show or two but that didn’t take long to finish. I’d never waste my money on it. Just my two bits. 
    Appletv has always been a hobby for Apple. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    seankill said:
    Beats said:
    Ted Lasso.

The issue is that AppleTV legit sucks. I’ve had it 6 months free and I’ve hardly used it. Sure it has a good show or two but that didn’t take long to finish. I’d never waste my money on it. Just my two bits. 
    Apple’s 17.5 billion against your … 2 bits. 

Better shut up shop and give the money back to the shareholders. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I will never watch Apple TV scripted shows, even if Ted Lasso lasts 20 seasons and gets 5 lifetimes achievement awards. The documentaries look good, though.

Apple Arcade was a faith leap at $5, and now it's rescuing classic mobile games from microtransaction hell. It's finally a pretty good deal for mobile gaming enthusiasts.

iCloud Drive works well enough to kick Dropbox to the curb for non-power users. Backblaze is a good thing to pair with iCloud Drive, to get some restore functionality.  
  • Reply 7 of 7
    seankill said:
    Beats said:
    Ted Lasso.

I didn’t keep AppleTV+ either. But me (and you) are just two people. I don’t pay for Amazon Prime or Disney+ or Netflix. I get by fine with PlutoTV, Tubi, free direct streaming from the internet, my extensive DVD collection digitized and Locast, 6$ a month plus an internet connection. That may not be for everyone but it gives me a ton of stations and content to choose from.
    but there will be people who will choose AppleTV+, millions of them. I will be paying for it for at least 3 months next year when the Tom Hanks WW2 series is shown. That series is reported to cost around 200 million. So when you say AppleTV+ is a hobby you should look at that price tag for one series, and Apple’s purchase of the studio space in L.A., and the list of upcoming original productions — There’s around 60 series and shows in the works.

in other words you’re wrong about this being a hobby. This is big revenue potential. Apple is putting in big money to get it. FYI. Apple doesn’t put big money into things if they don’t see big money to be made.