Apple renews 1980s throwback dramedy 'Physical' for a second season

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV+ hit "Physical" gets a second season, taking audiences back to sunny, albeit dysfunctional, 1980s San Diego.

Image Credit: Apple
Image Credit: Apple

"Physical" follows Sheila Rubin, "a quietly tormented housewife" whose discovery of aerobics kick-starts a journey toward empowerment and success. The dark comedy seeks to capture the journey of an enterprising woman in 1980s San Diego.

Apple announced on Wednesday that the series had been renewed for a second season, highlighting how audiences related to and embraced Sheila's story.

"We couldn't be more proud to showcase Annie Weisman's singular take on this darkly funny, heartbreaking and bold story," said Michelle Lee, director of Domestic Programming, Apple TV+. "We have been thrilled to see audiences around the world fall in love and feel seen by this show and we can't wait for everyone to experience the next chapter in Sheila's journey towards personal empowerment."

"Physical" debuted on June 18, and stars actors such as Paul Sparks ("House of Cards"), comedian Rory Scovel, and Lou Tailor Pucci ("Evil Dead"). Sheila is portrayed by Rose Byrne, known for her work in "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones," "Bridesmaids," and "28 Weeks Later."

Apple purchased the rights to "Physical" in 2020. The series is created by Annie Weisman, most recently known for Fox's new drama, "Almost Family."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    We’ve only managed to chew through a few episodes & it’s painful. Apple has managed to suck the life out of the screen delight that was Rose Byrne & most of my joy too.
    What Ted Lasso giveth, Physical taketh away.
    williamhentropysITGUYINSD
  • Reply 2 of 13
    byronlbyronl Posts: 356member
    is it a good show? should i watch?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I’m with McDave on this one.  Save your pixels. There are superior Rose Byrne pleasures.
    edited August 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    this is tough and kind of boring to watch, the story doesn't really evolve much, just a binge and purge story.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    byronl said:
    Best thing to do is watch an episode to see if you like it. 
    byronlmuthuk_vanalingamStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Is Rose Byrne known for her work in "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones"?  Really?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    byronl said:
    It got better with each episode. Better than what is on cable tv.
    byronlStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 13
    as with many Apple TV originals - It’s gotten better with each episode.  

Not sure where this show is going - but I’m along for the ride; at least through the end of season 1…
  • Reply 9 of 13
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    byronl said:
    Weird that it wasn’t renewed sooner, tbo. With only one episode left this season, there are just waaay too many unresolved plots for a single 30 minute episode to cover. 

I have to echo what the others before me have said in that this show gets better with each episode. I almost gave up after the first one, but I was bored one day and watched more, and I’m glad I did. Her inner monologue went from being really annoying to being really hilarious. No, it’s not all sunshine and rainbows like Ted Lasso, but why does it need to be?
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 10 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,840member
    My SO and I enjoy it. The plight of the 1980s house-wife with addiction issues told as a dark comedy may not be of interest to everyone (see AI review), but we certainly find it interesting. About 10x more stuff happens than the first season of Servant (which was moody, but pretty slow).
    edited August 2021
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Japhey said:
    byronl said:
    Weird that it wasn’t renewed sooner, tbo. With only one episode left this season, there are just waaay too many unresolved plots for a single 30 minute episode to cover. 
    TV shows don't get renewed based on how many unresolved plot lines they have.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    crowley said:
    Japhey said:
    byronl said:
    Thank you Captain obvious. I didn’t know that. But, until Little Voices, almost every other Apple series that I can think of (except Tehran ?) was renewed for a second season a bit earlier than 2 days before the season finale. So…it’s weird they waited so long with this one. 
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Japhey said:
    crowley said:
    Japhey said:
    byronl said:
    Thank you Captain obvious. I didn’t know that. But, until Little Voices, almost every other Apple series that I can think of (except Tehran ?) was renewed for a second season a bit earlier than 2 days before the season finale. So…it’s weird they waited so long with this one. 
    Given the reception:
    soundsinmotion said:
    tough and kind of boring to watch
    mcdave said:
    it’s painful
    entropys said:
    Save your pixels.
    it hardly seems surprising that Apple didn't have the same level of confidence in it as some other shows.  But then:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    It got better with each episode.
    It’s gotten better with each episode.  
    they were probably swayed by this sunny horizon.

So I'm not sure why it's weird. Seems entirely what I'd expect.  It's not at all uncommon for niche shows with unconventional appeal to run a tight rope of potential cancellation.