AIDS transmission through oral sex

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
man, i had no idea. was just watching the news tonight and they were saying that oral sex is a legitimate way to contract AIDS.

initially they thought that it was through sores and cuts in the mouth, but now they've found out that even w/o sores or cuts there are cells in the mouth that are targeted by the HIV virus.

guess it goes to show you never know.

link here from rueters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member

One more reason not to flirt around anymore!
  • Reply 2 of 31
  • Reply 3 of 31
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Why not?
  • Reply 4 of 31
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    This is theoretical. The actual risk of getting an HIV infection from slurping semen containing HIV is probably pretty close to 0. It's one thing to show it in a test tube, another to actually happen under realistic conditions. It may have happened, but very very rarely.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

This is theoretical. The actual risk of getting an HIV infection from slurping semen containing HIV is probably pretty close to 0. It's one thing to show it in a test tube, another to actually happen under realistic conditions. It may have happened, but very very rarely.

Yeah I agree. I have always read that you cannot contract it via oral sex. A question tho, would the chances be increased if their was a small amount (very small) of blood in the semen?
  • Reply 6 of 31
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

However, the level of infection in the mouth cells was much lower than that seen in white blood cells -- approximately one-fourth to one-eighth lower.

well, i wouldn't say that's almost zero. 1/4th isn't something you'd want to ignore.

that just means that 4 blowjobs = one time of unprotected sex.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    HIV has been found in saliva too. It can work both ways.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

well, i wouldn't say that's almost zero. 1/4th isn't something you'd want to ignore.

that just means that 4 blowjobs = one time of unprotected sex.

I don't think so. This is in a petri dish in a lab. Very different from the real life probability of contracting the virus.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Why do you guys have to take a beautiful thing like oral sex and make it ugly by talking about HIV?

• Reply 10 of 31
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Untill they find AIDS transmitted through masturbation, most of the people on this board are safe.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Untill they find AIDS transmitted through masturbation, most of the people on this board are safe.

so sayeth the greatest master baiter of them all.

*psst* check your spelling of baiter....
  • Reply 12 of 31
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I thought it worked as a conflation of spellings, but yeah, tis probablt unnecessary in the context of the phrase.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I don't think so. This is in a petri dish in a lab. Very different from the real life probability of contracting the virus.

Out of pure curiosity, what do you base that on?
  • Reply 14 of 31
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The fact that in vitro reactions rarely can be directly mapped to in vivo reactions?

I mean come on, if that were the case, we wouldn't need human trials drug testing, now would we?
  • Reply 15 of 31
    this is pretty basic stuff though. does a cell have receptors for the HIV virus? if so, there's a good chance that it can and will infect it.

the only real factor i can think of that would have an effect would be whether or not salivia is an HIV inhibitor.

it's not like there are ultra complex reactions being measured here, just whether or not a specific type of cell has the right protein shell for HIV to infect it.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

so sayeth the greatest master baiter of them all.

*psst* check your spelling of baiter....

Perhaps the keyboard was sticky?
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

Out of pure curiosity, what do you base that on?

The HIV virus dies very quickly. This isn't the flu virus, which can live on door handles for hours and hours. It's really hard to get it in real life, unless there's just the right environment, usually provided by blood. That's why only certain behaviors get you in trouble.

All I'm saying is that if you stick the virus in a test tube with these swabbed mouth cells without giving the virus the same chance to die as would occur in real life, you could greatly overstate the likelihood of actually catching the virus. And from what I've seen, there just aren't very many cases of people contracting the virus from oral sex, so it appears that this study does overstate the case.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Is it that the HIV virus dies quickly, but the fatal effects of that virus are merely catching another illness and not having any defences?

I'm confused, I was always under the impression that HIV virus stayed with you, hence the virus part, because virii don't actually leave your system. Please enlighten me, the more I think about this the less I know \
  • Reply 19 of 31
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I always thought that was just a line for the girls.. "you can't get it from this, I promise!"

Kind of like "just pee after, you won't get pregnant!!"

I sort of assumed... eat mouthful of HIV infected sperm, uh, you might get HIV.

Seemed simple enough.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:

Is it that the HIV virus dies quickly, but the fatal effects of that virus are merely catching another illness and not having any defences?

the virus dies quickly outside of a human host. so, for example, if you were to bleed on the floor, then an hour later rub that blood into an open cut, the HIV virus in the blood on the floor would likely already be dead.

it has VERY specific temperature requirements, and is not at all hardy.

however, once you contract HIV, you have it until you die, which tends to come a bit sooner in life.

in this case though, the HIV virus would be going instantly from one body to another, and your mouth has the right temperature/moisture needs for HIV to survive a bit.

it's not like someone would.....

ok, nevermind. i was going to give an example here but just realized it might be a bit inappropriate.

-alcimedes