Why do apps keep unexpectedly quitting?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm running 10.2.4, 1.5 gb RAM (original Apple 512mb + 2x512mb from Crucial) on a new dual 1.42.

So far, IE 5.2 has quit 3 times, Final Cut Pro 3.0.4 has just quit on me, After Effects 5.5 vanished yesterday...

And I've done a clean re-install of the system on a totally clean HD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    naghanagha Posts: 71member
    a couple of things come to mind... periodically, you should fix the permissions using Disk Utility. this seems to be the Classic equivalent of zapping the PRAM or rebuilding the Desktop.

otherwise, you might have bad RAM. try removing the RAM and reseating it. that worked for me when i installed new RAM into my MDD G4.

na
  • Reply 2 of 9
    And for what it's worth, Internet Explorer has always been a buggy, very crash-happy app in my experience. Try a different browser like Safari.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It could possibly be bad RAM but Crucial makes the best ram you can buy, so I doubt it. Generally bad RAM causes kernel panics anyway, not application crashes. I don't know where Apple gets their RAM from (maybe Crucial?) but it's probably not the problem either although you might want to try testing out various configurations sometime.

I've heard it's a good idea to completely wipe the stock installation Apple provides on the HD and reinstall OS X right when you get the computer. I dunno why, but it just makes you feel good I suppose.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    wiftywifty Posts: 70member
    IE 5 is terrible for crashing. I'm a web designer so find I'm often refershing pages. If you refresh pages regularly (using Apple + R) it seems to crash without fail.

Maybe I'm getting confused and Apple + R actually stands for Retarded rather than Refresh or something but try it and I gurarantee that it'll lead to a crash.

Don't use Final Cut Pro or After Effects so can't comment on them. I use Safari now, DHTML is buggy but you can actually refresh a page regularly without it crashing the browser (and you can always quickly check things in IE if you really *have* to)

cheers
  • Reply 5 of 9
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wifty

IE 5 is terrible for crashing. I'm a web designer so find I'm often refershing pages. If you refresh pages regularly (using Apple + R) it seems to crash without fail.

Weird. Mine has crashed only once on some buggy JavaScript. With operating systems and apps so complex, computers behave much like children.

Generally, if you don't know the cause of your problems, repair permissions (they traditionally get screwed after system updates), look in the logs for some obvious things (sometimes some apps scream in log files in plain English), trash prefs, pray, zap PRAM, cross your fingers, run disk maintainance utilities, re-install apps, pray again, re-install OS, do some sacrifices, format HD, sell it on e-Bay.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    wiftywifty Posts: 70member
    A colleague on another mac here has the same problem. He doesn't refresh as much but when the app starts crashing regularly it's always when he's been refreshing the page.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    you heard right, Luca - I used my new computer for 3 days as Apple shipped it and had 4 kernal panics, loads of unexpected quits and several complete freezes that couldn't be force quit and had to restart the machine.

The clean install seems to have helped, but so far I'm still finding OS X less stable and predictable than good old 9.2 (!)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Have you tried removing Apple's stock RAM? If that stops the problems then that might just be it. If you can narrow down the problem to one of the RAM modules, you can contact the company (Apple and Crucial should both be good about replacing the RAM, although Apple will probably put you through half an hour or more of useless "tests" that prove nothing) and get a replacement. If all the RAM works, it could be a bad hard drive. Apple will replace that too but again, it'll take a while for them to trust you that the HD is indeed bad.

A friend of mine recently purchased a 933 MHz PowerMac, lightly used, on eBay, in basically stock configuration. He's been having KPs as well. I dunno what's causing them - it has 256 MB of Apple RAM and the only real change is that he replaced the superdrive with a faster DVR-105. So I do think it's possible that your HD is bad or something, like physically damaged. They are very sensitive devices and any small deviance can lead to major problems.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I've never had a kernel panic, and I have a Beige G3, but then again I don't run any heavy Apps.