Apple's tvOS 15 is now available for Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2021
The newly updated tvOS 15 has just been released, bringing with it the usual slate of bug fixes, as well as a few new features, some of which had been disclosed during Apple's June WWDC event.

Among the new updates include several geared toward improving the audio experience of those using an Apple TV. For example, those with AirPods Pro and AirPods Max will now be able to listen to Spacial Audio, a system that uses gyroscopes and other sensors in the devices to simulate 3-D listening.

A new dialog also appears on the Apple TV if a user's AirPods are nearby. The feature is similar to how it currently works on macOS. Users can pair their AirPods with a press of the TV button or dismiss the dialog by tapping the back button.

The new tvOS also received a few new HomeKit features. While tvOS 14 bought HomeKit to Apple TV, tvOS 15 allows users to view HomeKit-compatible security cameras in a grid view. Users can access this view from the Control Center or the fullscreen camera view.

A few other minor updates have also been added. Users can now use their iOS or iPadOS devices to sign into tvOS along with Touch ID or Face ID.

Users can also use Touch ID or Face ID to authenticate purchases and sign into compatible apps.

Lastly, just like in iOS 14 where users could use the original HomePod as default audio and control, users can now connect the HomePod mini for control of their Apple TV and be used as a default audio source. For example, asking Siri to put on a TV show will turn on the Apple TV, turn on the TV, and change the input to Apple TV.

Unfortunately, as learned earlier, SharePlay would not be debuting at Apple's September event. When released, SharePlay will be a feature that allows users to share media during FaceTime calls. Users can watch movies, listen to music, or see someone's screen with all callers in perfect sync while using SharePlay.

Read on AppleInsider
jahblade

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I feel like I’ve always been able to turn my Apple TV on with a HomePod original and mini.Is it just now to a specific show?and any show from any app or just Apple TV+ ?
    Scot1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    insync88 said:
    I feel like I’ve always been able to turn my Apple TV on with a HomePod original and mini.Is it just now to a specific show?and any show from any app or just Apple TV+ ?
    The original HomePod maintained the association as the default audio. The HomePod mini was added with tvOS 15.

And, any app, not just the TV app.
    insync88williamlondonScot1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    SharePlay seems to be a really game-changing addition to Apple's eco system. However, I would just like to take the opportunity to mention that XBOX 360 did this through their XBOX Live service, more than a decade ago. Here is also some old news on a Netflix-specific addition to that service: https://venturebeat.com/2008/07/14/netflix-comes-to-the-xbox-360-did-microsoft-just-destroy-the-apple-tv/

What I'm trying to say is that Apple, as we sometimes see, is not necessarly first to implement something, but they really do try to be the company which implements a feature in the best possible way. If you look at the old Xbox service again, it's not like you would use the Xbox "Live Party" mode on a Zune, Windows PC and Xbox simultaneously. As far as I know, it was only something they tried on the Xbox itself - not cross-platform.

Disclaimer: I'm an XBOX One owner, Apple enthusiast and old-school Linux user, so I have all kinds of devices. Writing this comment on the M1 Mac Mini in Monterey beta.
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Note: My HomePods are also showing the v15 update is available. 

Hopefully they'll wait for me to initiate the installation this time. I generally like to wait a few days -esp. with original HPs that can't be easily replaced- and have toggled the settings to allow me to do that. The last few software updates, however, have gone through automatically anyway, which is not ideal.
    MacsWithPenguinswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Unfortunately I’ll have to wait to use all the Siri features because Apple inexplicably still hasn’t enabled Siri for Apple TV in Hong Kong, one of Apple’s most important markets.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I tried to update my Apple TV and this update bricked my Apple TV. You have got to be freakin kidding me. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    There are a few extra features included here that I’m pretty sure haven’t been mentioned at all since WWDC. First, there are new aerial screen savers, which are always outstanding. Secondly, the sign-in with FaceID or TouchID is a feature I’ve wanted for years, which, again, I don’t believe was previously announced and definitely wasn’t in the Beta. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Users can also use Touch ID or Face ID to authenticate purchases and sign into compatible apps.”  This is NOT a minor feature.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Once again, all but one of my HomePods (original and mini) have automatically updated their OS, even though I have that option turned off in the Home app. Anyone else out there have this issue?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    AppleZulu said:
    Once again, all but one of my HomePods (original and mini) have automatically updated their OS, even though I have that option turned off in the Home app. Anyone else out there have this issue?
    Yes. They’ve also stopped showing up as AirPlay options for me. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Japhey said:
    AppleZulu said:
    Yes. They’ve also stopped showing up as AirPlay options for me. 
    No problems with the Airplay thing here. Just the unstoppable auto updates.