Apple updates Mail on iCloud.com with new design, Hide My Email

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has updated the browser version of Mail on iCloud.com with a new look and features like Hide My Email and Custom Email Domain.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The web-based iCloud Mail has been updated to bring the feature more in-line with devices running iOS 15 and Apple's other software updates that were released Monday. It's been streamlined and features lighter colors and updated fonts, but its core functionality remains unchanged.

In addition, the new Hide My Email and Custom Email Domain features -- introduced in Apple's 2021 slate of software updates -- are also now live in Mail on iCloud.com.

The Hide My Email feature allow users to create "throwaway" email addresses that automatically forward messages to a user's primary mailbox. These addresses can be disabled at any time after creation.

Additionally, the Custom Email Domain feature allow users to send and receive emails from domain names that they own. Using the feature just requires updating a registrar's domain records with Apple's settings.

Both of the new email features can be accessed on iCloud Mail by heading to the Settings pane on the website.

All of the new features are also available in iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, which were released on Monday. They'll also appear on macOS Monterey, which is expected to debut later in 2021.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    The setup is a little confusing. I have the 2TB iCloud storage plan so I already have an iCloud+ plan meaning I don't pay extra for these new services. Going through the initial configuration, I select add the family plan iCloud domain. I created one and pressed Next. Now it wants me to create the email name for each family member, if I want to. They say to "Add all of the email addresses that you currently use with this domain. You’ll be asked to verify these during setup. You can create new email addresses after you’ve finished setting up your domain with iCloud Mail." The confusing part is the last sentence. Are they asking to enter my icloud.com email (plus mac.com and me.com) or just the new one with the new domain? To me the ladder would be a new email address. 

I assume since all my original email addresses are already part of the master icloud.com domain, I wouldn't have to add those, just any new name+domain I want to add and since I'm doing this within my icloud.com settings, it should just all work. Yes--No???
  • Reply 2 of 24
    THIS SUCKS!!!!! It's taking me 10+ min to send an email now.   Once I start to reply to an email I can't look at other emails to copy and paste from.  I can't drag and drop attachments. I can't open an email in another window to cross reference for the email I'm typing.  I can't drag and drop email addresses from other emails.  I feel like mac has stepped back into the 90's.  I'm having to run two different browsers to send a work email.  THIS REALLY FLIPPING SUCKS!!!!!!!!  What has happened to this company?  It's turning into garbage non stop since Jobs died and Cook took over.  Is he trying to kill the company.  I have owned EVERYTHING apple for 26+ years and the past few years I'm looking into buying anything non apple.
    williamlondonlkruppherblover
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Fingers-crossed custom domain sending is sign of other custom domain feature to come. 
    Probably isn't.... but what is the point of visiting rumours site if one doesn't dream of better. 

Even just sharing using a custom domain email as address key would be a bonus. 

iCloud keeps exposing my hidden account email I never use anywhere when I share. 
    edited September 2021
  • Reply 4 of 24
    THIS SUCKS!!!!! It's taking me 10+ min to send an email now.   Once I start to reply to an email I can't look at other emails to copy and paste from.  I can't drag and drop attachments. I can't open an email in another window to cross reference for the email I'm typing.  I can't drag and drop email addresses from other emails.  I feel like mac has stepped back into the 90's.  I'm having to run two different browsers to send a work email.  THIS REALLY FLIPPING SUCKS!!!!!!!!  What has happened to this company?  It's turning into garbage non stop since Jobs died and Cook took over.  Is he trying to kill the company.  I have owned EVERYTHING apple for 26+ years and the past few years I'm looking into buying anything non apple.
    First time using a Mac, first time reading AI or just changed your name?

I would give it a few days since iOS 15 just came out amd way too many people are downloading it and configuring the new options. 
    williamlondonIPG100jony0
  • Reply 5 of 24
    ... it should be noted that iCloud mail is currently unencrypted on Apple servers per: support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

I have set up S/MIME yet almost nobody I use email with has been willing or able to follow suit...

Would encrypting iCloud email and/or making S/MIME easy 'for the rest of us' be a logical thing IF Apple truly is interested in customer data protection...?

Would such require collective participation to make it effective...?

When Apple introduced Photos with always on auto tagging it became so concerning I stopped using the app, and always tried to avoid iCloud although certain documents are apparently stored even with all set to off...

How much revenue does Apple generate from search engines featured in Safari that can then monetize the data bread crumbs left behind...?

So many questions since 2011...
    edited September 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 24
    rob53 said:

I would give it a few days since iOS 15 just came out amd way too many people are downloading it and configuring the new options. 
    Been using a Mac for over 26 years but 1st time I, my friends and my tec's had no idea what was going on. So I did a google search and this was the only place I found any info on the update so I decided to join and comment with some of the issues I was having incase someone was having the same problems.  Was I not supposed to do that?
    rob53williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I’m loving the custom domain feature. Been using for a few weeks now since the beta launched. I was able to finally ditch Google Apps/Gmail. 
    williamlondonmattinoz
  • Reply 8 of 24
    rob53 said:

williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 24
    rob53 said:

Been using a Mac for over 26 years but 1st time I, my friends and my tec's had no idea what was going on. So I did a google search and this was the only place I found any info on the update so I decided to join and comment with some of the issues I was having incase someone was having the same problems.  Was I not supposed to do that?
    What you did was correct, welcome to AI. Has your email worked any better today? As for Tim Cook ruining Apple, I disagree. Steve introduced new things and Tim expanded on them. Without Tim's insight, Apple would have gone to hell once Steve passed away. Interesting you're stuck using browsers to send emails. Have to use gmail or outlook? Have you tried Apple's Mail, configuring it to work with your work email or does your job require you to use their browser-based system exclusively? From what you're saying, I don't see this as a Mac issue (dragging attachments between browser-based email systems, I see it as a limitation of the email system you have to work with.

BTW: I bought my first Mac for work in 1989 so I know exactly what happened when Steve was booted out of Apple and what happened when he returned. I also worked for a government contractor for 30+ years so I know how screwed up corporate email systems can be, especially when they don't want to deal with Macs. My primarily Mac-based departmental system included >300 Macs before we were forced to use more PCs. I changed departments and continued to use my Mac.

I haven't had to deal with work systems in eight years (retired a bit early) but am willing to help if I can and if you would like some assistance. We can set up the new hidden email feature to keep our identity hidden.
    jony0
  • Reply 10 of 24
    This explanation for how custom domains work is better than Apple's:
    https://tidbits.com/2021/08/27/how-to-set-up-custom-email-domains-with-icloud-mail/

• Reply 11 of 24
    Anyone else recently get a request to agree to new iCloud T&C?  Just out of the blue?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Well, it's now more complicated to mark something Unread (why move that command under the Reply menu).
    And, since there's no longer a Not Junk button, does moving a message from the Junk folder to Inbox automatically mark it as Not Junk?

• Reply 13 of 24
    Since the update, I have had some issues when accessing my mail from the web.  I can't drag over messages to other folders.
    In addition, when I try and send an email and press a 'B' then 'L' or 'S' then 'A', the program errors out.  I am sure there are other combinations but those are the ones I have noted with use so far.  This kinda sucks.
    Heddybell
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Can no longer print just the email, if i print now it captures my inbox and shows the emails, not good. Cannot mark emails unread from the computer anymore.. Anyone have some trick's to correct these issues? TIA
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 24
    nsilver said:
    Since the update, I have had some issues when accessing my mail from the web.  I can't drag over messages to other folders.
    In addition, when I try and send an email and press a 'B' then 'L' or 'S' then 'A', the program errors out.  I am sure there are other combinations but those are the ones I have noted with use so far.  This kinda sucks.
    Same here but different letters ie 'P' - 'C' and a few others.  The minute I put in one of these letters to send an email to a recipient the program errors out.  What is this all about?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Kjonn said:
    Can no longer print just the email, if i print now it captures my inbox and shows the emails, not good. Cannot mark emails unread from the computer anymore.. Anyone have some trick's to correct these issues? TIA
    I have the problem. I can't print just the email and I can't open more than 1 email at a time. Very frustrating.

williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 24
    From the computer - same here re unable to print just the email as it captures the Inbox also.  However, if you click on the 'blue circle with 3 white lines' beside the magnifying glass on the left hand side of the screen it does offer options re unread emails?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Has anyone been able to figure out a fix for the issues mentioned above?  I have all of the same issues  - can't open email in a separate window, can't print email without the inbox included - It is killing me trying to go back to what I had before so that I can manage my daily business affairs in email now!  THANKS for any help I can get. 
    williamlondonHeddybell
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Can anyone help me with trying to colour the font used in email?  This was easily apparent before the update but the option seems to have gone now?  Thanks
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 24
    kfogerson said:
    Has anyone been able to figure out a fix for the issues mentioned above?  I have all of the same issues  - can't open email in a separate window, can't print email without the inbox included - It is killing me trying to go back to what I had before so that I can manage my daily business affairs in email now!  THANKS for any help I can get. 
    Hi There - I wish I could help - but these issues still remain the same for me with the update.  I'm finding using iCloud email pretty useless now to be honest
    williamlondon